Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Anybody use 700 / 29er disc wheels with slicks on a 26er?
  • H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

Thinking of getting some bigger wheels for my rockhopper which i commute on and was wondering if anybody else does this (photos would be great). I know mavic do the speedcity wheels but there most be a cheaper option.

rOcKeTdOg

i used bonty cx disc wheels with 25mm road tyres, normal rigid 26" fork, works a treat

Mister-P
    Free Member

A colleage of mine has a prototype Saracen Killi mtb frame designed for 26" wheels but he running 700c touring rims with Conti Sport Contact tyres. It all runs fine.

mangoridebike

Runs fine with 32mm cross tyres on 700c wheels.

Sam

mango that's exactly what I had on my 'dale about 10 years ago now and is what first got me hooked on 700c wheels.

thebunk

What's the general recommendation for 700c disc wheels then?

Sam

If it's for road/cross use just use whatever road rims take your fancy and build them on to regular disc hubs.

mangoridebike

I think the rims on my bike are Mavic Open Pros – built onto deore hubs.

oddjob
    Free Member

Didn't Cannondale used to sell a Bad Boy with both 26" mtb wheels and a set of 700c wheels?

speaker2animals

Rocketdog – how much clearance is there under the seatstay bridge on the Wanga? Do you think you could get a 28mm 700c in there? I have a SS Wanga and have thought about a SS "29er" conversion for faster commuting (ig=f I ever manage to get back to work).

speaker2animals

Mavic A317 disk rims are 700c designed for use with disc hubs. Stick some of them on whatever hub you fancy. Recommended tyre width 28 to 47mm. Should be a good choice.

Sam

1961Bikie – Member
    Mavic A317 disk rims are 700c designed for use with disc hubs. Stick some of them on whatever hub you fancy. Recommended tyre width 28 to 47mm. Should be a good choice.

They are pretty hefty – overkill for road use IMO.

rOcKeTdOg

Rocketdog – how much clearance is there under the seatstay bridge on the Wanga? Do you think you could get a 28mm 700c in there? I have a SS Wanga and have thought about a SS "29er" conversion for faster commuting

easily enough room, 35mm Cx tyres fitted here

Daffy

Any old set of 29er wheels* will work with slicks on a 26er frame and fork.

*within reason obviously

H4RDT41LR1D3R
    Free Member

That is what I was planning on using Daffy, just need some wich are not bolt through.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Hardtail rider- Did you buy the wheels and if so have you any pics?
    Love the look of the Cannondale and voodoo and really fancy going down this route for my commute bike.
    Anyone got more pics? Ideally flat barred mtb with 700c wheels.
    Cheers guys

firestarter
    Free Member

oh ive been searching out a cx frame with 135mm clearance but this has perked my interest looks like pretty much any rigid mtb frameset will work 😉

nosemineb
    Free Member

Ive got a cross bike but just feel its not really needed if i can run 700c wheels like this. Ive only had this crosser 3 months but losing interest in cross racing so may sell it and splash out on some mavic a317 disk rims on hope hubs.
    I put my road ksyrium rims in the mtb with cross tyres and it looked really good except the caliper fouled the spokes so i couldnt ride it.
    Decent amount of clearance there though to the frame and fork crown.

firestarter
    Free Member

rocketdog what length are the forks you have on yours mate
    thanks

nosemineb
    Free Member

Pretty sure there standard forks on the voodoo.
    My standard suspension forks had clearance with a 35 mm cross tyre if that helps.

firestarter
    Free Member

just curious as i used to run a 700cc wheel with a 29er tyre on in a 440mm rc31 and it had lots of space and the voodoo apparently came with a 480mm fork but the one on rocketdogs looks shorter in the pics

julianwilson
    Free Member

hmmmmm, feeling another silly boy wheelbuild project coming along… How wrong would a 20mm reba team look with a cyclocross tyre in it?

Only reason for it would be for racing cross without getting another new bike: I already have 35mm scwalbe cx tyres on 717’s, would i be any faster on effectively the same (couple of mm narrower) tread but bigger wheels? The 29-er ‘rolling over stuff’ advantage hardly seems relevant for a grassy muddy cyclocross course, but would the momentum/intertia bits make any difference?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

ben1979
    Free Member

I commute on a Giant XTC with DT XR470 rims and Conti 700×28 Gatorskins. Plenty of clearance at the back and use a Carbon exotic 29er rigid fork. The 26″ fork would have been fine apart from it felt a bit low at the front on an XL frame

nosemineb
    Free Member

Ben, lets have a pic then!!! 🙂 please!
    2 unfit, Looks nice what frame is it? Ti? Any more side profile pics?

ben1979
    Free Member

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

nosemineb – Member
    2 unfit, Looks nice what frame is it? Ti?

It’s a Pipedream double butted Ti frame, no more pics of it in 700c guise that would show you more, now back to standard 26″ HT mode, but will go rigid SS for the winter, it’s been through a good few changes over the years 😉

nosemineb
    Free Member

How did the projects go? Anymore pics from those who were considering doing this?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Anybody use 700 / 29er disc wheels with slicks on a 26er?’ is closed to new replies.