Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anybody sold their house via internet?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

My wife’s suggested trying one of those online estate agency sites, can’t remember what it’s called right now but if you said the name I’d know it.

Anybody tried it? How did it work out? Positives and negatives?

Cheers

pixelmix
    Free Member

If you can’t think of the name, is that really who you want to market with?!

chakaping
    Free Member

They advertise on Rightmove, the name of which I can remember.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I sold my last house on the work intranet site message board!

There are about 7,000 people locally who work for the company though so it was a good way to go.

I put the message up and within a week i was showing someone round, she had an offer on a house round the corner and ours was nicer so she was keen. I had kept details of two other recent sales on the road and I showed her when she came round so I could justify my asking price. We then agreed the price by email with minimal haggling. Then went to solicitors and no problem no bad experience minimal work involved and I felt more in control as it was so direct.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Depends on how desirable a house yours is I would say – a good house in a good location may sell, if similar houses struggle through normal routes then you would struggle moreso.

tomaso
    Free Member

I sold mine with houseladder houseladder website

That was back in 2007 just before the bubble burst. The website is ok and it is listed on a number of other sites but not rightmove as that is where estate agents do their business and they aren’t going to cut their own nose off.

Total cost was about £100 for the sign and the website. The signboard really helps, but only if you live on a street people drive down. The house was on a desirable street and I got a decent price, although doing the deal without an agent or surveyor was a little daunting.

But compared to 0.5-1.5% of the house price its a bargain! And you don’t have to talk to estate agents.

brassneck

I used an online conveyancer.

Never again.

I figured it couldn’t be worse that the disorganised, disinterested shambles I’d endured twice before from local solicitors, but how wrong I was..

It’s the only time I’ve ever shouted down a phone 🙁

uwe-r
    Free Member

The agents offer nothing other than the marketing advertising really and you can do this yourself with a board. If you know what a resonable price is and can handle the discussion then there is nothing really that the agent can offer to justify 1% +/-.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I did it last year, but to be honest the postal fees were huge!

Hairychested
    Free Member

^^^^ Genuine LOL 😀 ^^^^

chakaping
    Free Member

the disorganised, disinterested shambles I’d endured twice before from local solicitors

Similar experience with my first property purchase so went with a recommended solicitor in the City the next time and she was awesome. Well worth a couple of hundred quid more.

chakaping
    Free Member

My house is quite nice, with much bigger garden than most other homes in the area – but unextended when most have been added-onto.

Valuations about 18 months ago were across a £40k range and local agents didn’t impress me at all.

I imagine we’ll probably have to settle just below the stamp duty threshold anyway so that may simplify matters.

uwe-r
    Free Member

We had a stamp duty thereshold that effectively set the price for our house.

+1 for a decent solicitor, this is well worth the extra cost.

project
    Free Member

A neighbour tried to sell his on the intanet, the local council were not to happy, when they found out, as it was stil a ouncil house, owned by them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anybody sold their house via internet?’ is closed to new replies.