Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Anybody ridden the 650b Five yet?
  • roverpig

How does it ride compared to the old model?

jam-bo
    pussywillow
    Free Member

Will be just the same as the old model but with weaker wheels.

rOcKeTdOg

orange squeezing 27.5 into a Five frame

mikewsmith
    Free Member

unless somebody is prepared to ride blindfolded I doubt we will know. Probably about the same 🙂

roverpig

I’d be surprised if it rides just the same. They’ve shifted the bottom of the seat tube forwards (with a shallower angle) and made the chainstays a bit longer to accommodate the larger wheel (so much for there being no difference between 26″ and 650b). So, even if the wheels themselves make no difference those changes must have some effect. But it would be good to hear from somebody that has actually ridden one. That Monday morning debrief is a start (thanks). So, it climbs better than a Patriot 66 ! That’s a relief 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

so much for there being no difference between 26″ and 650b

You’re a marketing dept’s wet dream.

rhysw
    Free Member

I’ve briefly ridden the 5 RS while out riding with the Dirt mag boys. I liked it, nice slack Head angle, defiantly a different feel to a normal 5. The only problem was that it was a M and I need a L so I’d like to try the correct size.

b45her
    Free Member

so much for there being no difference between 26″ and 650b
    You’re a marketing dept’s wet dream

so is 99% of the bike riding population of the USA, go read pinkbike, some of the stuff the yanks come up with is hilarious.

roverpig

You’re a marketing dept’s wet dream

On the contrary, I’m highly suspicious about the 650b wheels themselves making a difference. It wouldn’t surprise me if the 650b Five feels a bit more stable than the older model, but that’s just because the chainstays are a bit longer. Actually I don’t have a dog in this fight at all. I’m still trying to decide whether I prefer 26″ or 29ers 🙂

b45her
    Free Member

same here, although i’m really not a fan of 29ers.
    the benefit can’t be as clear cut as the manufacturers would like us to believe, why else would dan atherton choose not to ride the new tweener GT force and instead ride a 26″ wheeled prototype?

Northwind

Orange did good work on making the 29er ride, basically, like a Five should. So I reckon the 650b one will be similiar, instead of obsessing about chainstay millimetres etc they’ll have just made an overall package that does the same job as the 26er one in a slightly different way.

b45her – Member

why else would dan atherton choose not to ride the new tweener GT force and instead ride a 26″ wheeled prototype?

Eh, Affy’s proto is a 650b, according to Pinkbike and Steve Jones anyway… The main differences are the geometry, he doesn’t like the production model. It’s his teammate that’s on the 26er.

FOG

So that’s it there will be no more 26in 5s.

roverpig

So I reckon the 650b one will be similiar, instead of obsessing about chainstay millimetres etc they’ll have just made an overall package that does the same job as the 26er one in a slightly different way.

Although, in order to do that, they probably had to give some thought to how long the chainstays should be 🙂 But I take your point. It’s the overall package that matters and no one number is that important. In fact, the more I test and ride 26″ and 29ers the less interested I become in the wheel size. It always seems to be the least important thing when comparing two bikes and only matters at all because of the other changes that are made to accommodate it. Regardless of what size wheels it has the new Five is just the latest evolution of the model. I’m just interested to know what direction that evolution took.

roverpig

So that’s it there will be no more 26in 5s.

Not for 2014. But who knows after that.

ratherbeintobago

Not for 2014. But who knows after that.

I’d assume as Orange (despite their profile) aren’t the biggest bike manufacturer on Earth, if there’s demand for 26″ bikes, they can soon make them.

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

I have ridden the 650b and compared to my five I found :

When you first get on feels very much like a normal five.
    Climbs better, it is 3lbs lighter then my 2012 model.
    Rolling speed is quicker ( slightly)
    As with the five, when this go downhill or technical it comes alive.
    Loved the 1×11 setup
    Hated the avids
    Stealth dropper is a nice touch

geologist
    Free Member

My mate went on an orange trade demo day type of thing. He said he found the 29 to be not a pleasurable riding experience, but loved the 27.5. Its a cliche, but he said it had the best attributes of the 26, and the 29er combined. He enjoyed it more than the 26er 5.

roverpig

Thanks. Did your mate say what it was he didn’t like about the 29er ?

@fodmtbguides: I guess a chunk of that 3lb difference is down to the 1×11 setup.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I tried but its about 28.713% more fallieroffiererer than the 26

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Climbs better, it is 3lbs lighter then my 2012 model.
    Rolling speed is quicker ( slightly)

I would ********** hope so”
    just lost similar weight with a new bike and a similar effect staying with 26″

geologist
    Free Member

He did, he said when it went into the twisty stuff it was unresponsive, just not as much fun.

I really like 29ers, but am thinking about the 27.5 5 myself, after what he said. Id defo hire one for a full day ride first though.

roverpig

I tried but its about 28.713% more fallieroffiererer than the 26

I’m out then. It’s all about the fallieroffiererness for me 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Couldn’t resist 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the biggest issue, is it still wipe clean in case you get over excited?

wl
    Free Member

I’ve heard very good stuff about them, and I believe it. Didn’t stop me buying one of the last 26″ Fives though, just because chuckability and fun-factor were a priority for me, not just speed. Plus, on some of our more techy local trails even a 26″ wheel can seem like a very tight squeeze. The 26″ Five is amazing, and the 650b almost certainly is too, just slightly different. Think I’m right in saying there’s a great-looking 650b Five demo bike available for hire at Blazing Saddles in Hebden.

b45her
    Free Member

Eh, Affy’s proto is a 650b, according to Pinkbike and Steve Jones anyway… The main differences are the geometry, he doesn’t like the production model. It’s his teammate that’s on the 26er.

GT themselves said he was on a 26″ prototype for the WES races in the new force launch article.

“Dan Atherton, the spear point of GT’s Enduro team, swore off 650B wheels at first, but after helping to dial in the geometry and ride of the new 150-millimeter-travel Force, he changed his mind. Atherton says, however, that he will continue to develop the 26-inch wheel prototype enduro GT he uses on the racing circuit.”

source: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/GT-2014-Four-models-of-the-new-Fury-DH-and-Two-Trailbikes-650B-S.html

Northwind

Here is the actual bike, you can see the 650b logos on the rims

GT’s blurb is just that, never trust a marketing man 😉

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

@roverpig not sure it would makes that much difference as mine is 1×10!

wrecker
    Free Member

Never mind the wheel size. LOOK AT THE STICKERS OH GOD

They’ve turned many peoples favorite fapwagon into a halfords specialalike 😉

kimbers

dan atherton was certainly on a proto 650b at the 1st round of the UKGE coz i seen it wiv me own eyz

chestrockwell

I like the stickers.

rOcKeTdOg

Peelable stickers?

Northwind

I like the swingarm stickers. Not sure about the rest. But man, that’s an unflattering photo (orange seem to have dropped the ball a wee bit with the official PR shots too, lots of boring colours etc. Neon orange or GTFO.

(ok, my Orange is boring blue and white but that’s still better than John Major Grey)

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Looks like the filing cabinet rumours might actually be true!

iolo
    Free Member

It just looks like orange have just given up on caring about looks. They know the will sell so decided just to keep it as low cost to produce as possible. Luckily it’s cheaper so that’s no problem.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no one buys an orange for it looks so what difference do the sticker matter?

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t care. I was just playing. They’re only stickers, that bike looks like every other five to me.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d assume as Orange (despite their profile) aren’t the biggest bike manufacturer on Earth, if there’s demand for 26″ bikes, they can soon make them.

Spot on! ‘Oy Bert, get them old 26″ jigs out the cupboard will ya, the 650’s & 29ers are out this year, & tell Joe Barnes & Guy Martin just so they know’

ratherbeintobago

Mick, get t’old 26″ jigs out t’cupboard

FTFY

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Anybody ridden the 650b Five yet?’ is closed to new replies.