Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anybody ridden in Montana?
  • markgraylish
    Free Member

I’m planning next summer’s road trip and fancy a mix of big alpine epics above the trees in Montana plus some road riding (eg Going to the Sun)

Can anyone recommend any websites or books to whet my appetite?
    Or specific rides to put on the bucket list?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Trailforks (via Pinkbike) would be a good place to start. I’ve only ridden in Helena on the way from Calgary to Moab. Good but not what you seem to be after. It’s a pretty big and empty state.

I’ve heard going to the Sun is fantastic but lots of cars.

If you’ve not ridden in Canada then Revelstoke has what you describe.
    Keystone standard for big Alpine
    Martha Creek for tech DH
    Revelstoke mountain for riding up.

then go to Rossland and do 7 summits and red mountain.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve done a bit around Bozeman, and it’s lovely country up there! From memory, OutsideBozeman has some links, but you can also try asking the nice folks at BangTail or Chalet Sports (Both on Main) or the truly excellent Gear Wizard, up by the old cannery. (Great beer and pizza at 406, almost next door).

Owenhouse, set back from Main, are new, but seem pretty good.

I rode with locals, on trails around places like Hyalite, and across the way from Bridger Bowl. Can’t remember the exact locations, I’m afraid, but Bozeman is possibly my favourite place in the US.

beagle
    Free Member

Read Chad’s blog for a start:

http://bikes-in-a-barn.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

He owns this shop: http://redbarnbicycles.com

I’d call/email for a chat too. He’s a super friendly bloke and will give you some insider info I’m sure!

markgraylish
    Free Member

If you’ve not ridden in Canada then Revelstoke has what you describe.

I live in Canada and have ticked off most of those Revy & Rossland rides already 😉

markgraylish
    Free Member

I find Trailforks hit and miss for advanced planning, though it’s very good when you’re on the ground or have narrowed your search area down.
    The Visit Montana website has a fairly long list of “recommended” rides but I’m kind hoping something like Bike Pirate exists for Montana (eg I’d recommend Bike Pirate for a good overview of Whistler, Pemberton & Alberta)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mark, I can only speak for the Bozeman area, but it’s a lot lower key out there. Much more of a local scene, as they just don’t get the same volume of tourist riders, as in those heading there just to ride. It’s much more local.

As said above, it’s a big ol’ state, and it’s almost empty. Maybe that’s why I love the place so much! Trying to get back there this January, I have a need to get out to Big Sky, and to get back to Bridger. Then, back out again in the summer. There’s some bike accessed fishing that is calling me!

markgraylish
    Free Member

Thanks for the other suggestions. Will investigate later!

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I did the TD as far as Butte this summer. We stopped off in Helena for a few days and rode the trail system there without bags on our bikes, it was a lot of fun. The bike shops there will tell you all you need to know about the local stuff, The Garage in Helena was especially helpful.

I loved Montana and I can’t wait to go back (though I’ve got to save up some dosh again!!)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You might want to contact Casey Greene at the Adventure Cycling Association in Missoula. He the cartographer there. He’s written several blogs on bikepacking to fire lookouts in Montana. the state is beautiful, we rode across it on the Trans America trail and visited the guys at the ACA. Any trail ride there should include a hit spring dip.

markgraylish
    Free Member

You might want to contact Casey Greene at the Adventure Cycling Association in Missoula. He the cartographer there. He’s written several blogs on bikepacking to fire lookouts in Montana. the state is beautiful, we rode across it on the Trans America trail and visited the guys at the ACA. Any trail ride there should include a hit spring dip.

Yup, I got Casey’s Idaho Hot Springs map for when I was in SV/Stanley a couple of years ago riding Boulder Lakes before it was re-classified as bike-free Wilderness 🙁
    Hadn’t thought of the fire lookouts though!

plumber
    Free Member

Visit whitefish

Lovely town. Big mountain ski resort for uplifted trails

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anybody ridden in Montana?’ is closed to new replies.