• This topic has 44 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mase.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Anybody ridden a Orange Clockwork 29er?
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

Im looking at getting one of these. Has anyone ridden one? What is your opinion of it if you have?

Thanks

thepodge
    Free Member

Milking the name

coatesy
    Free Member

Not ridden one, but of all the 29ers we stock, it seems to be the only one that sells on a regular basis, sold not far off as many in the last couple of months, as all the other 29ers since the start of the year (excluding Giros).

enfht
    Free Member

Wasn’t the orignal made of steel?

Orange dont make anything in steel anymore.

Am I the only one thinking orange have lost the plot?

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Am I the only one thinking orange have lost the plot?

Nope, they have definitely lost it!

vdubber67
    Free Member

P7 is steel

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

P7 is steel

which ones that?

enfht
    Free Member

P7 is steel

WAS steel. They don’t make them anymore 😮

The P7 peaked with the 2008 MKII design, before the frigged with it.

Yes I am biased and yes I own one.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Is that the one they now don’t make anymore!?! Lol

AlexSimon

Looks very overpriced to me.
    And the carbon road bike is one of the ugliest bikes I’ve ever seen in a shop.

timc
    Free Member

please explain how they have lost the plot?

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Not that its any of our business what Orange call their bikes but…
    1.Orange Clockwork was steel
    2.It had a wishbone seat stay
    3.It had eyelets etc. to take a rack for that ‘all round’ approach
    ‘nuf said

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member
    timc
    Free Member

1. Yes but times have changed, it doesn’t matter that it no longer is
    2. So what
    3. Times have changed, they aren’t standard issue anymore…

enfht
    Free Member

please explain how they have lost the plot?

Ditching their best selling frame?

No longer making steel frames?

Making road bikes?

bezlei

Steel 29er is the way to go if you want a hardtail. Loving my Cotic Solaris, it replaced my old faithful Superlight, the bigger wheels more than make up for the lack of rear suss, and I reckon some of that is due to the frame material.

nuke

I was surprised it wasn’t steel…Clockwork named frame should be steel imo, this should be an Aluminum ‘O’ or ‘Elite’ if they going back to retro Orange names 😕

enfht
    Free Member

Steel 29er is the way to go if you want a hardtail

Yeah but can you do wheelies?

thepodge
    Free Member

The whole steel thing is very British and they have to sell frames all over the world but I agree they should have used the alu o or elite name, or been original and thought of something new.

Orange aren’t stupid, they know their market but I do feel this new frame devalues the clockwork name

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Orange are making alloy “Clockworks”? Blimey. That’s as bad as when Airborne started making a Ti Black Widow. It’s no coincidence* that the company didn’t last much beyond that.

*It’s entirely a coincidence

888trojan888
    Free Member

Its a replacement for my Haro Mary that got stolen. It was valued at about £400 so i cant complain really 🙂

timc
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    Ditching their best selling frame?

Its obviously not their best selling frame, hence being ditched, come on mate…

catvet
    Free Member

I have one on test and in standard form (28lbs) it rides woodland single track as well as my Cotic Soul (23.5lbs) both on 120 mm forks, It has surprised me somewhat. In the deep mud where the soul digs in and threatens to chuck you out the front door the clockwork seem to just muller the mud!
    It does seem to be as comfortable as the Soul
    Given if I had one I would use the bits from the Soul, and use crests lightweight wheels, 9/10 speed and tubeless and I reckon it would be a cracking bike, like all Orange bikes, the angles seem to be spot on.
    And It can be manualled (size 17 inch Me 5’10”)!!!

timc
    Free Member

Suggesting an alu frame can be as good or better than steel, suggesting there is an alternative to a cotic soul, you got it all wrong mate 😉

Bazz

Orange don’t make road bikes, they put stickers on generic chinese jobbies. (I know they aren’t the only ones and the frames are fine i’m sure, they’re just overpriced.)

AlexSimon

Bazz – I could forgive all that, as long as it had some appeal, but if it’s not cheap, not good looking and not interesting in any way, what is there?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

not cheap, not good looking and not interesting in any way

Thats all their bikes. They still sell though

AlexSimon

I disagree – the five/patriot are at least interesting and unique.

generallevi
    Free Member

As someone who owned a Five for years, now rides an Alpine and has a Carbo I can see points in both sides of the argument here.

The way I see it is that Orange appeals in many ways that other brands could never do. I had my alpine resprayed last year and it came back like a new bike. If I need a part I get a human who understands what I’m on about and I can usually sort things in a few seconds, unlike when I used to
    own a specialized. Lets not mention trying to do a bearing change on my Pitch 🙂

They also ride the bikes In places we ride which means a lot of things are a non issue, mud clearance, bearing changes, 7 coats of paint…. Lol

Also, if your making an assumption on looks alone then if you haven’t rode one you may be pleasantly surprised. They just seem to get it bang on. I do get that they are a little overpriced for what they are but remember, just like a golf or a transporter, you will get that money back on resale.

Just my thoughts for what little they are worth…. 😉

Merry Christmas!

888trojan888
    Free Member

Cheers for the review Catvet

davefarmer
    Free Member

The new clockwork is an evolution of a bike.

Bikes have changed.

If Orange brought out a steel clockwork with rack mounts etc, they would sell even worse than the P7 has done for the last couple of years.

As it stands, they’ve released the Clockwork as an aluminium 29r with a 120mm fork (a pretty unique beast) and it sells, well!

I bought a frame, put fox float forks/hope hubs/crest rims/chain device and ten speed. The bike rips, it’s so confidence inspiring. Best trail hardtail I’ve ever ridden(and I’ve owned a lot!). Orange rarely get the handling of a bike wrong.

After 20 years of riding, I have now realised that I have been riding the wrong size wheels all this time!

Clink

aluminium 29r with a 120mm fork (a pretty unique beast)

Er, no. They are certainly not innovating by doing that.

ask1974
    Free Member

Dave, just out if interest how much is the frame only option? Unless I’ve missed something it’s not an option on the website.

Thanks.

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

Frame is £350 on its own.

colin27
    Free Member

The Clockwork Pro looks pretty smart. Stick a Hope headset and brakes on, and get it in the amazing purple colour, and you’re sorted. Orange will never be ultra cheap but they all, almost without fail, ride fantastically well IME.

davefarmer
    Free Member

I’d say that a fairly slack 29r built around a 120mm fork and sold as a complete bike is pretty rare.

Trek are doing some, whyte are doing one. Can’t think of any more now.

I wouldn’t count all the micro frame brands as showing an abundance of suck bikes.

catvet
    Free Member

Update on demo Clockwork (basic spec), ridden by a 17 yo good bike handler who has raced junior downhill,( the gap jumps he does I would end up in the ortho ward|) he felt it was amazing, fast accurate and he ragged it round all local trails as well as the downhill runs, came back with a huge grin on his face!! It was all on to stop him trying a road gap drop on it, but as someone else is demoing the bike tomorrow…!!
    I would agree with a previous poster, 10 speed 120 fork light rims would make this bike a peach. £350 frame only seems pretty good value.
    Just to add a little more, pointing this bike downhill, gives the same level of confidence as my 140 mm travel FS enduro bike, the slackish head angle coupled with the “rollability” of the 29 er sized wheel is preety good. On the flat and in singletrack it doesnot seem to get hooked up in ruts/bog compared with my Soul 26 er, so when or even if the trails ever dry out this is going to be some seriously quick trail bike!

Clink

I’d say that a fairly slack 29r built around a 120mm fork and sold as a complete bike is pretty rare.

Trek are doing some, whyte are doing one. Can’t think of any more now.

I wouldn’t count all the micro frame brands as showing an abundance of suck bikes.

So Canfield Yelli Screamy and Nimble 9 are ‘suck’ bikes (whatever that means??)? You are right, not many big brands have yet caught on – they are being led by small independents who are perhaps more forward thinking (and, as you point out, mostly frame only). Kona Honzo and new alu version also out there, plus Chromag, Transition, 2 Souls Cycles etc. Please don’t suggest the idea is anything new though.

catvet
    Free Member

Clink I think Dave meant “such”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Anybody ridden a Orange Clockwork 29er?’ is closed to new replies.