Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anybody recommend some decent bacon?
  • mtbmaff
    Free Member

gone through the usual finest quality stuff from supermarkets and nothing from local butcher is really cutting it,

anyone got any recommendations?

I live near Worcester, don't mind a bit of a trip out to the sticks!

Or on-line?

Matt.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

personallty i buy catering packs of smoked back, always thick slices and about £7/8 for 2.2kg (roughly 45/50 rashers), try a google search for catering suppliers local to you, and find a small suplier as these as usually more than happy to deal cash to a member of the public

grumm
    Free Member

Make your own?

rOcKeTdOg

search for on line pork, you're bound to find something that would tickle you fancy!

ojom
    Free Member

try some ramsays
    http://www.ramsayofcarluke.co.uk/
    http://www.ramsayofcarluke.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/39 – just click on the add to cart and bosh – job done! HTH thank me later.

Goes best with runny egg on toasted muffin. Oh and with a massive cup of 2 tea bag tea.

its teh noms.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Stirchley bacon in redich has some good dry cure stuff. They have a shop infront of the factory. Cheap as chips if you buy in bulk.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Matt – you tried Banners down in Aston Fields? Not tried it myself but ive been told they do good meat, so to speak!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Helen Browning's Organic (Sainsbury's).

uplink
    Free Member
    joolsburger
    Free Member

My local butcher does molasses smoked bacon, it's the nuts!

iamtheresurrection

Supermarket it might be, but the Duchy Originals Bacon is pretty good…

BigJohn

Just get a cheap streaky bacon. The problem with most is there isn't enough fat to get the taste.

Drac

Find a good butcher supermarket bacon is shit and cheap bacon is just a big no.

stumpyjon

Treacle cured bacon from my local farm shop, thick slices, absolutely no added water and it tastes fantastic. Even the most expensive supermarket stuff doesn't come near, bit far for you though, it's in East Lancs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

From a supermarket, Waitrose is your best choice, given their standards of animal welfare.

Or, try a decent local butcher. There mut be one. Stoner should know!

I buy mine from Robinsons in Stockbridge, which I consider the best ever. You said you were up for a voyage in to the sticks….! 😉

peteimpreza

I used to use H Smith the butcher in Lowesmoor when I lived in Worcester. Excellent bacon.

cinnamon_girl

Another recommendation for Helen Browning Organics and Duchy Originals.

Served with pease pudding 8)

(awaits missiles).

saladdodger
    Free Member

I used to work for a butchers called HH Collins in Broadway (worcs) and we used to cure our own bacon and it was fantastic. The factory has now gone and perhaps the shop which is still there may get some good stuff in.

Me I now cure my own bacon as well as smoke it and I aint too bad at it eithere

There are lots of good books out there try a guy called Paul Peacock

Easy reading and easy to follow

saladdodger
    Free Member

CG

DUCK 😉

midlifecrashes

Get yersen oop to Donny market!

That might be a bit of a trip to the sticks too far from Worcester, so fortunately our fantastic butcher has a website. They're butchers, not web developers, so it basically only works in Internet explorer. Really good traditionally cured bacon, and loads of the award winning sausages. The Welsh Dragon sausage is just fantastic. Full traceability too if that's your thing.

Wilkinson's Butchers

Stoner
    Free Member

mtbmaff – I highly recommend Wallers in Ledbury – I get all my bacon and sausages from him – in fact Ive just put 10lbs of mixed sausages in the freezer.

for other meat, can I also recommend Hillworth Farm Meats from longdon, near Upton on Severn – they might deliver as far north as worcester – they certainly come to me in malvern, failing that you can pick up or buy from the concession at Clives Fruit Farm in Upton.

A full selection of meats all raised on the farm and butchered by the trained farmer. (killed at ledbury abattoir I believe)

The farm has excellent husbandry, and no machines that could inject water or other nasties in their lovely meat.

In fact I have already ordered my Xmas forerib of beef from them – to be killed next week and hung till I pick it up on Xmas eve 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anybody recommend some decent bacon?’ is closed to new replies.