Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Anybody know what distance a lap was at Bristol Bikefest? Oh and wasn't it GREAT
  • davidjey
    Free Member

Being a mileage-logging geek I'd like to know what distance my 17 laps equates to.

2nd year in a row as a soloist; despite my body screaming at me today I know I'll be back many times. Because:

it's a fun but tough course that (on the evidence of last year) doesn't fall to bits in the wet;

great atmosphere thanks to the commentator who kept going for 12 hours;

brilliant, super-enthusiastic marshals cheering you on every single lap.

clubber
    Free Member

7.9k according to my very rough mapping here: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bristol-Bikefest-2010

But anything from 8.5 to 9k per lap is probably more accurate since there's plenty of twisting in the singletrack…

As ever it was great though – LVIS had a great time despite seemingly having upset the puncture fairy this year…

We loved the marshals singing Viva Las Vegas for us at every opportunity 🙂

Well done on teh solo effort BTW – tough in that heat.

cheers_drive

I think The Cheesy Riders upset the puncture fairy too – 5 in the first 3 hours! Haven't had any puncture in months of riding the same trails ❓
    All good fun though.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Great course, just right will be in my diary for next year.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Did any of you get Big Bike Bash flyers?

A mate took some down with him and was wondering how well he distributed them.

woody74

According to the website it is 9.2km

clubber
    Free Member

The website will be including the loop that got cut out this year I reckon.

No BBB flyers that I saw. Get enough of that here 👿

grahamh
    Free Member

My computer logged 5.55 miles for 1 lap, that included the bit from our camp site and back.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Great day, although I'm going to throttle the puncture fairy.

I didn't see any BBB flyers either, real shame.

sam_commencal
    Free Member

Yeah, I think the website distance includes the bit which was cut out.
    Great day, everyone in the uni club had a great time!

dasilva
    Free Member

By the power of Garmin I would say about 4.8 miles
    http://connect.garmin.com/splits/35832368

glenncampbell

My polar logged 5.3 miles and 360 feet of climbing per lap. AWESOME course even though it was a bit of a kidney shaker – can't ride well in the the heat though – and I have blisters on my hands from holding on over the rough stuff. Ouch!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

That was a pretty awesome weekend!! Blisters on my hand .. oooo that hard tail hurt 8 laps for me as part of a girlie team .. and we even got a prize! whoop whoop.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Team-mate logged the course at exactly 5miles on his Garmin thing.

Awesome event, but a brutal course. Feel like I've been hit by a truck today!! Still, worth it all to get on the podium (Team Old Gits winner) 😀

Remarkably, not one puncture or mechanical in our team.

Oh, and hat's off to ANYONE who did that solo…

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Great day, great course, well organised, loved the singing marshalls 🙂

No punctures here, but I'm not that fond of pies…. 😉

sofaking
    Free Member

1st time there and really enjoyed it.
    great course( but that bridge could have done with a smother transition on the way down)
    great weather
    lots of cheering marshalls egging you on

nice relaxed feel to the whole thing
    will be back for more

lookmanohands
    Free Member

My polar made it 9.5 miles for 2 laps…… So 4.75 I guess. Glad they cut the climb out from last year 😀

gearfreak
    Free Member

18 Laps was 155k and painful!

matt_bl
    Free Member

Great course and great atmosphere!

There seemed to be alot of folk who had said mean things about the puncture fairy, one guy who had a double after the bridge.

The bridge was great for the first half, but as I got more tired it turned into a case of point it downwards and hang on.

See you all next year if I get an invite.

Matt

P.S. Anyone know when the full results are due out?

BrianSampson
    Free Member

Wicked course , proper balls out stuff… Little short for my liking not enough time to recover between laps.. Probably the most polite bunch of riders I have ever come across as well.. First time for me at this even and I will defiantly be back for more..BOOM

bullandbladder
    Free Member

+1 for blistered hands! My first time there, and great fun it was too.

Shame for the owners of the 6 bikes nicked though – it's an unfortunate trend. Take care, people.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

+2 for blistered palms!

I thought it was just my delicate 'desk-hands' and pianists' fingers that were to blame…

grahamh
    Free Member

Any one know what the story behind the pink suit was?

glenncampbell

6 bikes nicked? OMG. Really sorry to see that – thieving gits. Great atmosphere apart from that – I have to say that IMHO it's the best event in the UK for good fun, a tough course and a great atmosphere. Not to mention the rather distinctive pink suit 🙂

earl_brutus

yeah all good here the course was an absolute gem, take note mountain mayhem!, but -1 for bar running out of beer(doh!), and -1/2 food stall running out of jacket spuds and burgers!

ghislainlambert
    Free Member

Another year another top event. Cool being able to ride to an event so close to home is nice too

Anyone know if the broken legs and broken foot people are ok?

earl, you can't really blame the organisers for the food stands running out of food

soma_rich
    Free Member

Did any of you get Big Bike Bash flyers?

A mate took some down with him and was wondering how well he distributed them.

No need to check up on us mate, Sarah put most of them on car windscreens whilst I was recovering at the end.

She is taking the small remainder to work to give to their Bike Club.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

WE heard something about 4 legs and 2 ankles broken at the bridge, someone allegedly heard the commentator say! Anyone know if this is true? sketchy if so and hope they are all okay.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cor, my bum hurts. Good fun weekend, really nice atmosphere.

clubber
    Free Member

Kudos to the Torq riders for being very polite in their overtaking. Particularly because in the past they've been particularly ****ish. Thumbs up either to the team manager or to a clear out in the team and new riders.

MrAgreeable

Well done Thurman and co, not bad for a bunch of roadies! 😛

I dipped a toe into the murky world of singlespeed soloing this year, but only managed a meagre 12 laps before the call of the beer tent became too strong. I sort of liked the new shorter course, but it's a shame that it was due to pressure from the estate rather than the decision of the organisers.

MrAgreeable

sketchy if so

The bridge could definitely have done with a smoother transition, but I still managed to ride it fine with rigid forks. I'd rather not see the course get any less technical, bits of it are being cut out every year as it is, and accidents will still happen. Last time I did Mountain Mayhem some poor chap broke either his neck or his back on the fire-road downhill!

gothandy

I did the 6 hour event solo today, my garmin thingy shows the average lap distance at 5.1 miles, but the woods do confuse it a little so I'd say this is on the low side.

Bristol Bike Fest on Garmin Connect

Yesterday I went up there with the kids and took a few photos, I've called the pictures by the number of the people in it so you should be able to find yourself quickly on the off chance.

Bristol Bike Fest 2010 on Flickr

It was a super day, the marshals were just as good on Sunday, especially "my mate" who was near the top of the zig zag climb.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Pretty much 5 miles bang on! Tried my first solo 12 hour event, also decided to break out the singlespeed! Interesting is all I can say, was so cut up and bumpy I could hardly hold on for my last few laps! Full sus boys were flying round and you can see why!
    Stil… 15 laps and 5th place on my first atempt isn't to be sniffed at.
    Managed a 60 mile charity road ride today as well!!

Attitude on course was much better than last year, a few people could have done with a slap tho!!

Oh and does anyone know who the event photographer were this year???

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I dipped a toe into the murky world of singlespeed soloing this year, but only managed a meagre 12 laps before the call of the beer tent became too strong.

Well done Ant, good result and I agree the course flowed better without the crappy horse trail section.

rexated
    Free Member

Loved it! Though apparently I may have a broken collarbone (A&E today weren't too sure due to the mess of previous breaks, fracture clinic tomorrow to confirm / deny!). Well impressed with the attitude of the cadets and general feel of the event.
    Despite having borked my shoulder, that was probably the best endurance course I've ridden. Nice and technical in the singletrack, a proper mountain bike race rather than mincing around jey-pride style….

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Well done Thurman and co, not bad for a bunch of roadies!

This from a man who rides round in a faux-wheelbarrow… 😆

llamafarmer
    Free Member

My second year as a newly local rider and had an absolute blast riding in a team on Saturday. Great course, great atmosphere and stunning weather (if a little WARM for racing!). Spent sunday cheering on mates and taking some pics.

My photos here

yetikev
    Free Member

My Garmin Edge 705 logged 116.6 miles, for 25 laps. This averages out at 4.664 miles per lap and the tracklog looked pretty sensible when I imported the GPS into Memory Map. I was riding with a powertap so logging interval was every second.

That said, with a lot of the course in the trees and being twisty singletrack, I think there is potential for a GPS based system to underestimate in these circumstances, even when on a 1 second resolution.

If anyone has a definitive answer on this, please post it here!

Event photos for Saturday are up on http://www.photo-it.com already. Not sure if any other photography companies were operating, but there seemed to be lots of photographers out and about.

However, as other have said, great event!

Kev

About 8.1km per lap according to my Garmin, I think. I'll check when I get home.
    The battery went flat part way through the day, but it showed me using 8000 Kcal in the first 8.5 hours, so probably close to 11000 after 18 laps.
    7th Old Git, or I would have been 23rd in the open class.

The marshals were great. They were shouting "Go Vegan !" at me every time I rode past, then radioing on ahead to the next marshal post to tell them I was coming, so they'd all be shouting as soon as I came in to view. 🙂

I've never seen so many punctures at an event. No one can accuse me of pushing the cakes out of the way to get to the salad, but I managed to avoid pinch flats. Inner tubes are just so last year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Anybody know what distance a lap was at Bristol Bikefest? Oh and wasn't it GREAT’ is closed to new replies.