Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anybody know much about tablet PC's? Help appreciated (Samsung vs Nexus)
  • alpineharry
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into get a tablet pc, just something small (7″), i have found 2 which are similarly priced (secondhand), the samsung galaxy tab 3 or an Asus Nexus 7, anybody had experience with either of them?

I know both are similarly specced but just wanted someone else’s opinion on either?

thanks in advance,
    Harry

ohnohesback
    Free Member

As a Nexus owner I say go for the Samsung.

Cougar

Which N7? There’s two, a 2012 and an upgraded 2013 model.

I’ve got the old one, really like it. I can’t compare directly to the Tab, but I would expect the Nexus to be the better choice. Though, I fell out with Samsung when it comes to Android devices so I may be biased.

cp

As a Samsung owner, I would say go Nexus.

andyfla
    Free Member

As an iPad owner I would say go for an iPad.

Sorry, couldnt resist ! 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

If you’re not planning on removing all the bloated Samsung “additions” to Android, I would definitely say Nexus. (As a Nexus owner, Samsung phone owner and having used a few different Samsung Android devices.)

Cougar

The elephant in the room of course is, how much is that ‘similar price’? Only, you can get a brand new Hudl2 for £130, or half that in Tesco vouchers. I’d probably be looking south of £50 for either of those devices, and that’s being generous.

CraigW
    Free Member

The Nexus doesn’t have a memory card slot, so limited memory if you want to load it up with movies or music etc.

For a cheap tablet, also worth a look at the Tesco Hudl or Asus Memo Pad.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, it’s the 2012 model, so the 1st gen i believe.

Cougar – Just getting them second hand so about £10 within eachother off ebay.

I’m slightly leaning towards the Nexus mainly because of them being made by Asus which do processors and things as opposed to samsung just being another company like apple in some respects.

I have an iphone and an Asus laptop so wanting to see how others compare, in terms of specs they are pretty much the same.

tomaso
    Free Member

Samsung make processors and screens! Along with loads of other things…

alpineharry
    Free Member

Actually, now i think of it, my statement was a bit daft. I just see Asus as being more into the processor and computing side of thing than samsung. Although samsung make the processors for Apple products if i remember correctly.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Her indoors has a 1st gen Nexus 7. It has hardly been put down in 2 years and never missed a beat. Last night it upgraded itself to Lollipop 5.2.so is bang up to date.
    I have the N4 phone and really like Google stuff.
    On saying that the Nexus 9 is poor so she got a Samsung tab pro 10.5 for Christmas because the 7 is hard to see in her advancing years 8O.
    The only prob with the smaller tablets is that web pages do not show full pages so you get a cut down version that dont give full access to everything. IE banking etc.

alpineharry
    Free Member

It’s hard to really find main differences between the two from what it seems, think either will do the job, just mainly using it for taking to work and other quick tasks as i have my laptop for word/ proper programmes and phone for on the go.

cheers

Brainflex

Nexus can be expanded using an app and a OTG cable enabling flash drive use.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I got a hudl for Christmas to replace my aging iPad.

I’m very impressed with it.

For the money, you also get £10 of film downoloads, £10 of eBooks and other bits.

It’s reposnive, expandable storage and feels very well made.

oldboy
    Free Member

Had serious freezing issues with my 2012 Nexus 7, and it wouldn’t play YouTube videos without constantly buffering. Not recommended, sorry!

spooky_b329

I had a 7″ Kindle Fire (which I rooted to replace the Amazon software with Android) and it got used but always felt it was a compromise, not much easier than my phone as you still needed to scroll about all the time.

Wife now has a 10″ Samsung and its much better, she never uses the laptop now. Unless size is a big issue I say go larger.

peterfile
    Free Member

Pretty much all of my devices for the last 15 years have been a mixture of Mac and PC (mostly mac…iphones, ipad, MPB, apple TV etc).

Bought a Nexus 7 (2013) for cheap last year before a trip since I needed something portable and cheap to transfer photos to (via OTG cable) and book flights etc on the go.

It’s great, I’d definitely recommend it. Since then I’ve bought a Nexus 5 to replace my iPhone too.

I managed to pick up a 32gb 2013 Nexus 7 for £129 from O2, so keep your eyes peeled for deals.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have a Nexus 10 but am now a bit hacked off with google as the wifi performance on it is flakey after the lollipop downgrade – including after having down reinstalls from fresh, etc.

You would think that the primary devices used for testing android would be googles own hardware, wouldn’t you – but that clearly isn’t the case.

One minute it is pulling 60mbs download speed on the wifi, matching my sony z3 compact, and a little while later it takes a dive to something pathetic like 3mbs whereas the phone is still pulling the same as before. Then a while later it will be back to fast.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anybody know much about tablet PC's? Help appreciated (Samsung vs Nexus)’ is closed to new replies.