• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • anybody know any gnarly canal towpath routes?
  • shaggmiester
    Free Member

anybody know of any gnarly canal towpath routes?

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

You can ride all the way from Derby to Liverpool on the canal bank. Done it Derby to Cannock a few times. Knocks the crap out of you to be honest.

Stu_N

A bit narrow in places, and the drop to the side is quite offputting as well.

RustySpanner

Fat Elvis, where's that?

Stu_N

It's an aqueduct above Trevelez in the Alpujarras in Southern Spain. To be fair you didn't say they had to be in the UK 😀

rOcKeTdOg

london to brum on the grand union, life in your hands in some parts! 😕

rickmeister

Elvis, been there, done that too…

To be fair is not really a canal…. and agreed, the drop is quite scarey in places….. and I did a lot actually in the water….

shaggmiester
    Free Member

would you recommend wearing body armour for this route then steve the barbarion

Stu_N

Rick – you were with us that day. Didn't seem to do your bearings much good IIRC!

shaggmiester
    Free Member

ok cheers guys, think i will do the derby to liverpool, sounds quite gnarley! whats the best tyres for this route, will my dh minions be alright or do i need something grippier?

PJ266
    Free Member

We've got a comedian…

monksie
    Free Member

The Cheshire Ring canal towpath is a long circular ride at 110 miles and if you time it right, passing through Warrington and Manchester City Centre and East Manchester can get the heart beating a bit faster than normal.
    It's proper boring for the rest of it though.

RustySpanner

Middleton to Manchester on the Rochdale canal sounds spot on for you.

Wear your fastest running shoes, take your oldest bike and tuck in.
    A sunny Saturday afternoon, just after the footie's finished should provide a pleasant race day atmosphere.
    The Miles Platting, Newton Heath and Moston sections can be treated as 'Special Stages', with additional points going to those who make it though without buying any drugs, getting spat at, hit by a rock or tempted by a pasty.

We could probably organise a mass ride for the summer, it's safer in a pack and only the stragglers would get picked off.

Moses

Reading to Bristol is doable in one day if you start early (well, I did it once), just about 100 miles via the various Kennet & Avon canal paths & old railway path.

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Seem to recall mbr doing a rude guide thing along a towpath a few years ago which they six inch full Susses on….

NigE5
    Free Member

No way are you ready for gnarly canal tow paths until you have tackled BKB several times.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

ok i'll have a go at this bkb, what is it thou and where do i go for it, sounds interesting!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

The tunnel from Marsden through the pennines must be pretty rad…

hora
    Free Member

shaggmiester are you the lad who rides down decent climbs?

ton

hora, cough cough…………..

hora
    Free Member

ton I've started a thread for you 😉

montylikesbeer

second Rusty Spanner, its proper 'ard that route is

hora
    Free Member

To be in the band scooch shagmister used, hmm?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘anybody know any gnarly canal towpath routes?’ is closed to new replies.