Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anybody know about Prostel/unvented heating systems
  • towzer

Hi

as far as I can work out (and I may be wildly wrong)
    Mains (blue pipe) connects to directly Prostel (thankfully with a stopcock inbetween).
    Prostel then supplies both hot/cold to flat.

so
    1 – does that sound right
    2 – if I want to turn off the water to the flat (so can do plumbing) what is the process.

*Bits that are ‘worrying’ me are that the overflow (seperate small tank up on the wall) seems to have to be pressurised to 3 bar [ and I have no idea how to do this and don’t want to knacker that).
    Do I need to drain the prostel (it has a drain cock but needs to be switched off for drain to avoid overheat – and presumably draining it will knacker the 3 bar header tank pressure ?
    Or if I just turn off the mains does the lack of pressure stop both cold and hot flowing ?

Ta

divenwob
    Free Member

Can I ask what plumbing you need to do?

towzer

Hi
    have discovered a long term slow leak. The sink braided to copper was only finger tight (and weeping quite a lot, so did that), then further investigation showed a few other weeping compression joins and one of them was on the mains side of the inline stopper, so as a safety I want to know how to turn the water off before having a go (*inside new kitchen cupboard, on wall near side edge and behind sink down pipe and obscured by other pipe stopcock….. so tricky access)

also I think you should know how to turn off water as a sort matter of practicality

divenwob
    Free Member

Just turn off the cold main at the stopcock (blue pipe) and open the hot and cold taps,these should drain and release any pressure,dont forget to turn off the prostel electric supply.
    I assume there is no boiler?
    To refill turn off all taps except the bath hot tap, turn on cold main,await water via hot tap,turn off hot tap and relax.(then check your fix worked!)

towzer

cheers for that

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anybody know about Prostel/unvented heating systems’ is closed to new replies.