Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Anybody know a "Les Boxall" or similar..?
  • Andy

he he. Well done Pete 😀

sputnik
    Free Member

New forum name : PeterPloddy

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Somewhere on Mumsnet:

Somewhere on DruggiesNet, yeah maybe. (Allegedly)

Same thing.

COME AT ME MOTHERS!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hmmm…mumsnet….I wonder if Les Boxall was the bloke who bought himself a new road bike and foolishly left it in the conservatory, and the indignant Mrs B is getting it prepped for eBay?

gee
    Free Member

It will be interesting to see how the police respond to this.

I won’t hold my breath.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

COME AT ME MOTHERS!

I believe such material is available on the interwebz.

PP, good on you! Had a few of those while running bike shops years ago. ‘Customer’ brought in a very distinctive bike which we knew belonged to a real customer. ‘Customer’ said the brakes were rubbing. Usually a shop floor tweak, but no. We’ll just take it out back to the mechanics. Behind a locked door.

Call real customer, “Andy, where’s your bike?…..Stolen, you say?….Well, guess what?”
    Call local police station, v good customers, ask them on pop over.
    Tell “customer” it’ll just be a minute or two.

“You’re knicked, sunshine!”

Felt great.

fatmax

Brilliant work PP

Goldigger
    Free Member

Well done… upload web cam video on to YouTube please 😀

senorj

bravo.

chipkorea
    Free Member

I’ve been lucky enough to be able to do similar in the past. Sat in a shop and saw a gang of teenagers walk by, with one really nice BMX between them. Gangs of kids like this mob (they were not skaters or BMXers) DO NOT EVER ride really nice BMXs and I thought I recognised it from the local skate park. Called police and stayed on the phone as I followed them up the road at a distance. Watch police pull up and pick up the bike and one of the kids. Pop round the skate park, ask a couple of guys, they say one of their mates was robbed of his bike a few days earlier, I tell them to call him up and then call up xxx police station to go get the bike.

TLDR – sometimes you KNOW a bike is nicked.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

sometimes you KNOW a bike is nicked.

To be fair this wasn’t a tricky one to spot. The only question was if he’d sold it with his name sticker still on it or not.
    Long story short, but he wasn’t even aware it was missing.

I’ve seen a couple of obviously nicked bikes in the past, but been unable to get them ‘in the workshop’ to sort it out.

m0rk
    Free Member

When you see him, teach him how to set security zones in Strava too – you can see which shed he ‘lost’ it from!

toby

Top work PP (and CaptainFlashheart). Good to hear a happy outcome when I see so many stolen bike posts.

MSP

Gangs of kids like this mob (they were not skaters or BMXers) DO NOT EVER ride really nice BMXs and I thought I recognised it from the local skate park. Called police and stayed on the phone as I followed them up the road at a distance. Watch police pull up and pick up the bike and one of the kid

Where the **** do you live that the police will respond to a report of kids with a bmx?

fieldy
    Free Member

Top work, great result PP.

Sometimes you just know its not right!

chipkorea
    Free Member

Where the **** do you live that the police will respond to a report of kids with a bmx?

That was when I lived in east london believe it or not! I was adamant it was nicked and they bought it!

I have alternative experiences of the police in east london.

(1) They basically told me that I shouldn’t have bothered reporting a theft because I was pissed and there was no way they’d be finding evidence so it was simply my pissed word against someone else’s.

(2) A bloke crashes into my legally parked car on a quiet side street and drives off at speed with smoke pouring from his car. The police told me that I couldn’t report him for fleeing the scene of an accident because I didn’t know that he wasn’t planning on coming back. The car was a write-off (the street was narrow with cars parked down both sides and speed bumps every 30 yards!)

PJM1974
    Free Member

Awesome work OP. Nice one! 🙂

cannondaleking
    Free Member

A local bike shop to me had a mechanic that took in a stolen specialized frame that they knew was stolen and the boss knew and didn’t seem to care as the BB she’ll had had the number ground off. It wasn’t till I see it and grabbed it and let my mate Stewart know that they seemed to show any remorse (scared at what would happen next). I would name and shame but it would cause no end of back lash as that shop has a bat shit crazy owner

bigbloke
    Free Member

Superb work there PP. Why would a bike thief bring a bike in for repairs at their expense at a legit shop??. Daft idea. Is the customer the new in his/her eyes the legal owner and innocent in this and is about to be out of pocket and some what embarrassed.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

How did this story turn out?

allthepies
    Free Member

bump.

Has Les got his bike back ? Any perp been accosted ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Right, probably the last update as I don’t work in that shop anymore….

I met Les and we confirmed it was his bike. The cops are involved and seem interested in doing something about it, they have my contact details and the officer I spoke to was impressed with ‘our’ detective skills.
    The lad that dropped it off came back and seemed miffed. He blamed his mate. His mate then came in and sort of shrugged and said words to the effect of ‘we f***ed up then I guess’ and left. It looks like it’s been sold on a few times but they knew it was nicked, no doubt. At least it’s not trashed and Les gets his bike back.
    Unfortunately the shop CCTV isn’t working. Yes that’s epically stupid I know.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Anybody know a "Les Boxall" or similar..?’ is closed to new replies.