Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anybody hired a supercar?
  • eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Planning a 2/3 day midweek hire for a blast up to Applecross from Glasgow. Looking to do this for a friends 40th this year-2 people per car-4/5 cars. Just wondered what kind of insurance/mileage limits we’ll be looking at. Oh and by supercar I don’t mean Lambos more like GTR’s, F types etc.

peterfile
    Free Member

When are you thinking of doing it?

There’s a few Fridays when bealach na ba will be out of action I think (EDIT: actually I think it’s just weekends).

We shared an evening with two dutch guys celebrating a 60th on Skye. They’d driven from the netherlands to Skye in a rare and expensive old porsche. Sounded like they had a blast!

dknwhy

No, but sounds like a great trip. Enjoy!

I drove a Ferrari F355 Spider once – a regular customer at work had one and let me take it for a spin. Was absolutely terrified and constantly stalled the thing as the clutch was so high. Lovely car though and one of my all time favourites.

stumpy01

I looked into hiring one for my wedding day, seeing as the bride to be was arriving in an old Rolls.
    Not sure about mileage limits, but the ‘headline prices’ on the websites are a nonsense. As soon as you require the car to be picked up from somewhere other than London the price rockets, the price rockets as soon as you add the dates you want and then they require a several thousand pound credit card swipe as deposit.

I can’t remember the exact numbers, but hiring something half sensible went from relatively affordable to completely unaffordable with a few clicks of the mouse.
    EDIT – thinking about it, something half sensible was probably something like an Audi R8, rather than a Lambo Gallardo….. 😳

A mate of mine ended up getting me a Lotus Evora in the end – in white with alcantara interior and raw carbon fibre roof. It was lovely (and it didn’t break down)!

Saying all of that……

I just did a quote for a random weekend in April this year for an F Type Cabrio on the Avis Prestige website and with unlimited mileage, no extra cost for an additional driver and and extra £20 to bring the excess down from £2000 to £750 it came out as £667 (Fri to Sun) picking it up from Edinburgh airport.

Here: http://www.avisprestige.com/

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Yep can’t wait, I realise the headline prices are ridiculous but seems to stay close to the advertised price for midweek-looking end April, beginning may. Cheers Peterfile, will look into the closures. It’s going to be frustrating not taking the bikes up there though!

somouk
    Free Member

That avisprestige is interesting, might hire a range sport for a trip up to Scotland for tweed love. Should get the bikes and people in that and not much more than the flight when you take in to account 3 or 4 of us.

sandwicheater

Hired a Caterham 7 for a day (well, was a 30th birthday present) not super car territory but was a great deal of fun. Mid week hire was about £200 for a day.

Legoman
    Free Member

I did something similar for a mates 40th 2 years ago.
    We stayed in Torridon, but flew into Inverness, so picked up the cars from the airport.

We booked a pair of BMW X5 (or similar) through Thrifty Prestige – turned out to be a Range Rover Sport and a Discovery 4, both were brand spanking new!

Cost was almost bang on £300 each for a 2 day rental, picking up Friday morning, dropping off Sunday morning and included 2 extra drivers and unlimited mileage.
    Excess was £3500 though, which was a bit of a worry!

Think they have stuff like BMW 640, X6, new RR Sport – maybe not what you’re looking for, but at leaat the prices are fairly sensible.

Have fun!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

they require a several thousand pound credit card swipe as deposit.

So did Dooleys when I hired a clapped out Renault from Cork airport the other week. It’s not unrealistic.

peterfile
    Free Member

Excess was £3500 though, which was a bit of a worry!

😯

Please tell me you insured it!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I looked at doing this for my wedding 6 years ago. Started looking at the nice stuff, but that would have been impossible.

Ferraris/Lambos/Astons are £2k + per day and mileage limits of 100-150 miles. Basically a non starter.

We paid about £350 (no mileage restrictions) at the time for a Merc SLK 350, nice and powerful, but not really a sports car by any stretch. A Porsche Boxter was in the same price bracket, but Mrs FD wouldnt have one.

2nd the Caterham option, much more suited to the roads up there, just a lack of luggae space.

Legoman
    Free Member

Please tell me you insured it!

I’d certainly have slept better if we had!

Luckily the birthday boy isn’t short of a few quid, so he’d have covered it.

peterfile
    Free Member

2nd the Caterham option, much more suited to the roads up there, just a lack of luggae space.

Depending on where you were heading, there are a few luggage carrying services the serve walkers doing the long distance trails. Even if your stop wasn’t directly on their route I’m sure they’d make a detour for a bit extra.

They pick it up from your hotel in the morning and drop it off at your next destination. Cheap too.

sandwicheater

just a lack of luggage space.

Yeah, was laughable and all taken up by the folding roof. With a bit of creative packing you could get a weekend worth of kit in it but only if you didn’t bring any bags.

Would really recommend, great car. We had it around Yorkshire Moors. A day I’ll not forget in a hurry.

jimjam
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

I looked at doing this for my wedding 6 years ago. Started looking at the nice stuff, but that would have been impossible.

Ferraris/Lambos/Astons are £2k + per day and mileage limits of 100-150 miles. Basically a non starter.

A lot of companies have gps trackers in the cars, monitoring if you’re speeding or not, or if you take the car to a track etc. This is in addition to all the data the cars records, so they have a pretty detailed picture of what you get up to. Any of the hire firms I’ve looked at have terms and conditions that basically forbid any naughtiness.

fourbanger
    Free Member

It was my birthday last week so I’m taking a Cayman out in the Black Forrest this weekend. Friday lunchtime to Monday lunchtime, 750km (then 1e/km) for 500 euros. Seemed. Pretty good value really.
    911 was 799e for the same deal, but I imagine the Cayman will be so mind blowing in comparison to my Peugeot Expert that the 911 won’t be that different.

peterfile
    Free Member

but I imagine the Cayman will be so mind blowing in comparison to my Peugeot Expert that the 911 won’t be that different.

Don’t want to burst your bubble, but the Peugeot Expert is actually based (from a driving perspective) almost entirely on the 911 GT3, so the Cayman may actually feel a little tame in comparison to your regular transport. 🙁

I’m sure you’ll have fun anyway though.

Happy Birthday!

samuri
    Free Member

I hired a Vauxhall Astra van once.

Officially the fastest car on earth in reverse.

sandwicheater

The Renault 5 I owned when I was 17 may well challenge that record.

JonW
    Free Member

No… the mini that I put an Austin 1300 engine in with a starter motor that ran the other way to the mini takes that honour. Four reverse gears!

hora
    Free Member

One of the guys who binned a hire car recently at a Trafford Centre meet/razz was on a 10k excess apparently 😯

peterfile
    Free Member

One of the guys who binned a hire car recently at a Trafford Centre meet/razz was on a 10k excess apparently

That’s mental!

You can insure those for a few quid! (well, normally up for about £5k I think).

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Rolls Silver Shadow can do 60mph backwards. Are you sure?

CountZero

Just waiting for the technology to get up to speed so I can have a proper Supercar.

tron
    Free Member

What the rest said. Looked into it once, several k a day for anything nice, and a massive excess. Like 10 or 20k.

Ended up hiring a classic Alfa instead.

Can’t see the point in hiring something quickish and modern. Go out and hire a couple of old Mustangs that are only worth 10k in the first place.

Or go and buy two XK8s for a couple of grand a piece and do your own top gear challenge.

milky1980
    Free Member

Thought of a classic? You get more for you money!

Had a friend’s wedding back in October and their other half’s family are rather well off so I knew the cars would be rather nice so my Fabia would be a bit out of place. Decided to treat myself to a hire car thinking a nice 4×4 or exec motor would be cheap. Glad I did as when I got to the church the place was stuffed with Italian exotica and various rare items to drool over (Lexus LFA etc), most were only a few years old!

Thankfully I’d found a place near the venues that rented out classic cars, plumped for a MkII Jaguar that was absolutely mint. Cost was £300 for the weekend and I could drive to the owner’s place in my car (massive country pad, owner was in his 40’s and had a few other cars to play with!), leave it there and pick it back up on my return. Was limited to 100 miles a day so had a few to play with on the Sunday for fun.

Apparently I created quite an impression as I had something completely different to everyone else!! Got A LOT of female attention that night 8)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anybody hired a supercar?’ is closed to new replies.