Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Anybody here used Easyjet?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Flying in November. What can I expect that’s different from other airlines, if anything?

Cougar

Extra charges for everything. Non-hand luggage bags checked in, luggage weight excess, different charges depending on the type of card you pay for…

Other than that, I’ve never had a problem with them.

ourmaninthenorth

The experience is much improved over the bad, old “sleazyjet” days.

Pretty much everyone uses their business model now: low ticket price with all extras paid for. But things like allocated seating are now a given, so no more scrum to board the plane so you can sit within 10 rows of your 5 year old.

I used them for a flight to Naples last year. They were great.

stumpy01

One of the better low budget airlines I reckon.

Just be aware that the price you pay will probably a bit more than the advertised price, once you’ve ticked a few boxes.

Just try to avoid selecting every ‘optional extra’ as you go through the checkout procedure.

nickc

Play their game their way and I’ve never had an issue. Better/friendlier than Ryan Air IME (but Ryan are getting better )

Think of it like a bus with wings and you’ll not be disappointed.

big_scot_nanny

you won’t be mollycoddled like BA etc, but as others said, book your seat, pay to check bags if you need, buy juice/snacks before you get on baord, and its really pretty good.

xcgb
    Free Member

Yes I use them a lot to go to Cyprus, never had a real issue its like a bus but its normally bang on time IME

The hand baggage allowance is regularly flaunted but you are at the mercy of how jobsworth the gate attendant is.

I like them as long as you aren’t expecting luxury

P-Jay
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member

The experience is much improved over the bad, old “sleazyjet” days.

Yep, have to agree there. I’ve flown with them a lot over the years. I won’t pay any more than I have to for flights in the same way I won’t pay extra for a fancier taxi, but I’m tight.

I’ve never had a ‘bad’ experience with them, but I’ve always gone in with my eyes open. In the old days you had to do battle with their notoriously rude check-in staff, argue over carry-on sizes, and get rumped for anything non-standard.

These days it’s all very clear on the website – some call it paying for ‘extras’ I call it not paying for stuff I don’t need. Pre-book everything or pay a premium at the airport.

Check-in is does online, you print your own boarding pass, or use their free app. Allocated seating means no more scrum at the gate.

Aircraft are typically small, and a bit cramped but no worse than other short-haul providers.

You can pay an unholy amount of money for drinks and food on-board, but if you’re silly enough to find yourself hungry or thirsty on a 2 hour or less flight, more fool you.

Last time around was Bristol to Geneva in July, no hold luggage, no bikes, £80 return, walked on, walked off, easy life.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Handy tips re: extras and snacks thanks. Only a 80 minute flight though, so won’t need refreshment…

“Bus with wings” 😀

Cougar

Better/friendlier than Ryan Air IME (but Ryan are getting better )

To be fair, I’d rather walk to Europe than give that O’Leary mudsucker a red cent.

DrJ

To be fair, I’d rather walk to Europe

on red hot coals.

Norwegian are the best of the low-cost carriers IME. (Obviously don’t fly to the same places as Easyjet).

P-Jay
    Free Member

Mr Woppit

“Bus with wings”

It’s exactly what it is, more National Express than your local shopper-hopper, but still.

I think the people who really hate Easyjet still think of flying like we did years ago, a bit special, a bit glamorous and expected to be treated a bit – you can still do that to a certain extent, but even BA is very bus-like short-haul. They might throw out a Bacon Roll for you and give you a slightly bigger, possibly blue leather seat to perch on – but it’s still all about moving bodies as quickly as possible.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve used Norwegian and Monarch and it’s a bit “bus-like” but I don’t do air travel much, so I still feel a bit romantic about it… Love airports.

br
    Free Member

Used them for years, definitely prefer them to Ryanair but would fly BA as first choice.

Flew down to Gatwick last week, flights full there and back. New plane on the way back, Recaro seats were slimmer and while there were extra rows there was slightly more legroom than on the way down.

Food/drink is pretty standard pricing, £2.30 for a tea, £3 a coffee. Staff are always fine too.

wl
    Free Member

Leagues ahead of Ryanair, possibly a bit better than Jet2. Used them loads and will continue to. Cheap and cheerful.

ourmaninthenorth

It’s exactly what it is, more National Express than your local shopper-hopper, but still.

It’s well known that pilots for regional (domestic) airlines in the USA are often paid so little that they qualify for the welfare – it’s not unusual for them to be at or just above minimum wage.

I think the people who really hate Easyjet still think of flying like we did years ago, a bit special, a bit glamorous and expected to be treated a bit

EasyJet did develop a very bad reputation, but they are an excellent example of listening to their customers and reinventing themselves based on that feedback. Arguably they have their customers’ interests at heart much more than the premium carriers, as they make their pricing more transparent.

I flew transatlantic with Thomas Cook this summer (mainly because we booked late, so missed the Virgin flight). There were two classes, standard and premium. We flew standard, so if we wanted drinks etc. we had to pay. Premium got their drinks “free” – if you count a £250 price premium as “free”. You’d have to drink a lot of coca cola (even at their prices) to justify the difference.

Flying is mass transportation and the likes of EasyJet (i.e. when done well) is exactly how flying should be.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Flew with EJ to Corsica a few weeks back.
    Pleased to report everything was fine.
    Ticket price was low and price of adding extra bag and bike bag was quite reasonable.
    Would happily do it again based on that experience.

huws
    Free Member

I fly a lot and use BA even though easyjet flights are slightly cheaper on the same route. Once you’ve factored in the cost of getting to Gatwick instead of Heathrow (£13 instead of £2.70) additional food at the airport, a wine while I wait for the inevitable Friday evening 1 hour delay and the chance of getting to the other end after the public transport from the airport has stopped, BA begins to look cheap.

They’re not bad but they seem to work on such tight turnaround times that at the end of the day they’re normally delayed.

matt_outandabout

I’m having to fly Ryanair this next month – and not looking forward to it. Already I have had a ‘its time to check in’ email, a month ahead, that only allows me to click links that will buy extra services and add-ons… 😐

I fly back on Jet2, so I may have to avoid more fees…

On the other hand I use FlyBe every other month or so Edinburgh to Southampton – and they are a great set up. Happy staff, rare delays, good service and prices.

wilburt
    Free Member

Nice modern aeroplanes and good service, not sure whats not to like.

edit: just read the other posts, yes Ryan air are shit and giving that **** who owns them money is even more gauling.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Travel with them fairly often, usually check them an BA first.

Have been stung for £40 bag charge once when I brought the wrong carry on, about an inch too big on two dimensions and miles under weight but still charged. Buy yourself a sandwich and a drink before boarding.

Far far superior to Ryan Air although that’s not hard.

Moses

EJ is fine.
    Read their T&Cs first so your luggage is the right size, & you#ll be good. Check in as soon as you can online, to get seats together, & remember to print your boarding pass before flying.

Even Ryanair is vastly improved: they now allow 2 carryon items, though with restricted sizes.

beej

Just agreeing with everyone here – Easyjet absolutely fine, I probably fly 2-3 times a year with them.

Ryanair are horrible, with a cyclist hating boss.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Having used these three in the last few weeks my thoughts are that Jet2 > Easyjet >>>>>>>>>>>>> Ryanair

plop_pants
    Free Member

The new checkin concourse at Gatwick is brilliant! 2 minutes instead of around 30 with the old queuing system.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yay! Flying from Gatwick…

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Norwegian aren’t what they were. Still owe me €250 from a delay this time last year. Their pilots are unhappy and many get laid off over winter. A recent PPRUNE thread saw many pilots saying they’d rather work for Ryanair…

Monarch nearly went titsup 2 weeks ago, but now look more safe. They still seem to be emailing me every day though.

EJ are ok, flown with them 5 x in the last 3 months, but if you don’t want your hand luggage in the hold, make sure you are either speedy boarding or in the front 80% of the non SB queue.

Ryanair are better than they were, as is stansted, and they go to lots of places no one else goes to. And they have a better punctuality than many. O’Leary may be a git, but is being calmer and less of one.

And BA are cutting food and drinks and going the Loco route.

curto80
    Free Member

Easyjet are great. Pay a few quid to sit at the front and avoid all the tight paupers. Cheapest business class upgrade on the market.

Cougar

You’d have to drink a lot of coca cola (even at their prices) to justify the difference.

Is that the only difference?

Flying is mass transportation and the likes of EasyJet (i.e. when done well) is exactly how flying should be.

Depends how far you’re going I’d hazard. Hopping to Paris I’d use Easyjet in a heartbeat; travelling to New Zealand I’d be less enthusiastic.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It is and it isn’t… I fly a lot for work down here in Oz and the local easyjet equivilent it’s just not as good. Seem to have the ability to wind people up so that they don’t want to be there then try and sell you something for the entire flight.
    Something nice about being able to pay the price advertised, not feel like you need to cram everything into a hand luggage bag and bring your own sandwiches.

sadexpunk

possibly a bit better than Jet2.

really? havent got any recent experience of easyjet, but we’ve found jet2 to be waaay better than thomson/thomas cook. more legroom, more baggage allowance (22kg) and more staff at the check-ins, we never really get a long queue. every time we fly TC/Thomson we swear never again, every time with jet2 we say we’ll have to make sure we always go with these 😀

stealthcat

The other way to avoid having to put your hand luggage in the hold seems to be to use a rucksack rather than a cabin suitcase – when we last flew, all the cases were being put in the hold, but we could take rucksacks in the cabin as they squash down to fit under the seat if need be…
    The cargo handlers tend not to like rucksacks in the hold anyway, so I think the cabin crew try to avoid putting small ones in the hold.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The cargo handlers tend not to like rucksacks in the hold anyway, so I think the cabin crew try to avoid putting small ones in the hold.

Rucksacks get caught in the handling gear so they cut the straps to free them…never put rucksacks in the hold

crazy-legs

The airline themselves are fine – never had any issues with them provided you play their game and always have a copy of the T&Cs with you (although I’ve never actually needed to “discuss” the finer points of bicycle carriage with the check in staff).

It’s the other customers that are the problem. Quite how Easyjet expect to clear a plane in 90 seconds in case of emergency is beyond me when it took the fat bastards 20 minutes to collect their “hand baggage” (read: massive suitcase) from the overhead lockers, bang into everyone else, get into a drunken argument with the rest of the family and only then find their way to the door.

It’s worth checking prices on the budget airlines as well – sometimes you find that by the time you’ve bought all the extras, paid for the bicycle etc it’s often just as cheap to fly BA which gives you the bike as normal baggage.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have flown with them lots of times think of it as a bus with wings and you won’t be disappointed

Providing it gets me there I don’t care what the experience is like. I just zone out and let everybody else get stressed and flap about

Ryaniar/Jet2 not dissimilar just chill

br
    Free Member

It’s well known that pilots for regional (domestic) airlines in the USA are often paid so little that they qualify for the welfare – it’s not unusual for them to be at or just above minimum wage.

That’s the US, many things in the US are 5h1t.

http://blog.aviationjobsearch.com/blog/careers-advice/commercial-pilot-jobs-salary-guide/

Even some low cost airlines like Ryanair can pay their senior captains up to £100,000.

dashed
    Free Member

rocketman – Member
    Providing it gets me there I don’t care what the experience is like.

I must be getting old 😉 I fly quite a bit and I’d rather pay a few quid more for a more pleasant experience!

That said, I use Easyjet plenty and find them fine, not particularly pleasant, but fine! They’ll typically have you standing in queues to check-in / drop luggage / board for longer than BA etc and I have more delays with them. Their business model is all about quick turnarounds and maximum flying time for their planes, so any slight hitch and the delays stack up.

If you’re taking 2 bags each (i.e. hold bag plus skis or a bike) then the cost difference between EJ & BA is often negligible but the experience is very different. Hand luggage only – EJ is usually miles cheaper…

Flaperon

Bus with wings

If your bus moves at 600 mph, weighs 80 tonnes and has to freewheel to the nearest depot when it breaks down or runs out of fuel, then yes. 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

so you can sit within 10 rows of your 5 year old

Of course a 5 yr old is not allowed to travel alone so the airline staff would have to move someone else so you could sit with them, so absolutely no need to get in a scrum.

(If your partner is already sat with the 5 yr old, think of it as a few hours ‘me’ time).

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Anybody here used Easyjet?’ is closed to new replies.