Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anybody here had carpal tunnel surgery? What to expect?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I’m booked in to have carpal tunnel decompression in mid march.

Read the notes on the op and stuff on the web, but would like to hear from people who have actually had it.

What can I expect to be able to do with my hand straight after the op? How long until you recovered? when did you get back on the bike?

Was it totally successful? any after effects?

Do you think I’ll be ok to ride the Dyfi 7 weeks after?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had it done 15-16 years ago in my hand. I couldn’t use my hand for nearly 2 weeks but I picked up a new motorbike 3-4 days after the stitches came out. I wasn’t cycling at the time but I doubt I could have ridden a bike hard for 4-6 weeks.
    Apparently you might loose some strength but I think mine totally recovered after about a year. It did fix it 95%. Nothing other to report 🙂

Neil-F
    Free Member

My wife had hers done in September. Off work for 6 weeks.
    She couldn’t do anything with it for 2 weeks due to her stooky and stitches, and then another two-ish weeks before she could really start doing small amounts of normal stuff (ironing,washing dishes, hoovering etc etc….)
    Its sorted her initial problem, she says she can still feel tightness where the scar is but its not sore or tingly anymore.
    In total she was signed off work for 10 weeks, and even when she did go back it was light duties for another 3 or 4 weeks.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

eek. That’s a bit longer than the Consultant told me!

Thanks everyone. May have to reconsider riding Dyfi this year.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was off for 4 weeks. I went back and had to start shovelling spillage from under the conveyors. I’m guessing your wife is on a salary?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

MTFU. You can’t miss Dyfi!

Co-codamol, red bull, and cheap whiskey. You’ll be fine…

blooddonor
    Free Member

@ Peterpoddy……..you know that 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ibuprofene fixes everything.

You know this. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry. Just pulling his leg 🙂

Neil-F
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    I was off for 4 weeks. I went back and had to start shovelling spillage from under the conveyors. I’m guessing your wife is on a salary?

She was on my Salary for 10 weeks……… 😆

She got Stat sick pay, amounting to equivalent of about £60 a week. Not too good just before Christmas to be honest. But hey, docs orders and all that! 😉

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Had both done and they were completely different.
    First time the R hand it hurt like f8ck during the op had too inject more local, but healed quick and back in action after 4 weeks. Last time L hand and it went really well, weird watching some one carve away at your hand and not feeling anything, however 8 weeks to being back on the bike and maybe 6 months before finally settling down.

ask1974
    Free Member

Supersessions, what symptoms led up to you needing an op? Only ask as I have a small amount of numbness in one finger… Booked to see my GP next week. Cheers and hope it goes well.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Ask1974 – First started getting numb hands about a year ago. Left has recovered quite a bit but right is getting worse. I get pins and needles and numbness in first and middle finger and thumb. Pain and aching in wrist and notice a lack of strength at times. I have regularly used a wrist splint at night – used to wake up in night with no feeling in fingers or severe pins and needles. Main things that make it worse are riding mtb with no ability to change hand positions, using hand tools or painting and using pc at work.

I’ve now got an ergonomic mouse and keyboard at work, it’s better but still aggravates it. riding road bike is ok ish as I can move hands around. my ss now has mary bars which seem a bit better. my main mtb has bar ends and position means less weight on hands which is good. But wouldn’t fancy doing any epics at the moment.

The diy stuff I can just do as little as possible.

nick1962
    Free Member

The diy stuff I can just do as little as possible.

Good thing 😉

She couldn’t do anything with it for 2 weeks due to her stooky and stitches, and then another two-ish weeks before she could really start doing small amounts of normal stuff (ironing,washing dishes, hoovering etc etc….)

Post reported for blatant gender stereotyping,this STW after all 🙂

flowergirl
    Free Member

I had surgery on my left hand about five years ago. Stitches out after a week, and although I was told I’d be able to drive at that point, it was too painful to change gear! Back to work (and driving) after four weeks, supposed to be on light duties but probably pushed it too much! Had the op in January and rode the Cheshire Cat Sportive in March. Trouble is I’ve now got a Trigger finger on that hand 🙁

Under the knife again in May to have my right hand done and the trigger finger fixed. Going to take it much easier this time, off to Thailand for three weeks for my recuperation 🙂

Best advice I can give is don’t push it too hard and use lots of E45 cream on the scar. And Ergon grips on bike make it less painful

Good Luck

Deb

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anybody here had carpal tunnel surgery? What to expect?’ is closed to new replies.