Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anybody had any success receiving freeview using a portable aerial?
  • zaskar
    Free Member

The house only has downstairs aerial sockets so I am stuffed for upstairs.

I tried using a portable aerial but can't even get analogue well!

The downstairs sockets get all the channels too. I didn't want to spend loads but might stick a loft aerial in.

Anyone had any success?

deft
    Free Member

Yes with a mains powered portable aerial, it's pretty temperamental though

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

You can spend some time fiddling with a powered aerial to get the reception sorted… 👿

ton

i can sell you a triax sr110 fta satellite reciever with a small dish for about £45.
    this will give you about 100 tv channels.

most indoor aerials are crap…we stopped selling them about 7 years ago.

Flaperon

With a battery-boosted one, yes, but it was pretty rubbish. £70 gets you a Slingbox which gives you all the Freeview channels both inside and outside your home.

amaan
    Free Member

Yep, with a non powered arial and a genius mod I discovered by accident:D

I have this areiel(£8 ebay)

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/2394374/art/one-for-all/indoor-aerial-uhf-vhf-fm.html

Now here's what you do

1) extend both the antennas out

2) push the right antenna slightly back and the left antenna slightly forward

3) push the triangle front loop right down(forward)

Now the important genius bit

4) place an empty aluminium can(I'm using a pepsi one :-)) on the pushed down loop and lean it against the left antenna.

Without the can I get maybe 7/8 good channels and they sometimes get bitty/pixalated, but with the can there I get all the channels and I haven't lost the picture yet.

PS I was going to post a pic but the batteries in my camera are dead, if anyone would like to see a pic let me know and I'll post one tomorrow. :mrgreen:

PPS, just an experiment, if you can be bovvered, all the people above using a similar arial to mine(powered or not) try the can trick and let us know if it works for you.

Aidy
    Free Member

I've had some luck using two aerials and a booster, with some precarious perching around the room.

Also, the teeny tiny aerial that came with the tv card included with my laptop – I've no idea how it works, but it seems like a sort of magic.

emac65
    Free Member

Argos do one for around 20 quid with a booster that works well…

PJay
    Free Member

We get very solid freeview using an internal aerial (it's not even using a booster) but I'd guess that a lot is to do with your location. I also belive that the transmitter we're receiving from has completed its digital switch over which apparently means it's a higher powered signal.

colande
    Free Member

doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it,

couldn't you run a coaxial cable from downstairs?
    split the signal using a splitter,

if you can get to some floorboards the run it up the wall and then through the floor.

zaskar
    Free Member

I have an old usb tuner I found again while tidying up.

I tried that yrs ago and it only works with the outside aerial that is downstairs in the kitchen as the living room has some old cable route before I moved in and I haven't tried since.

I thought I might try an indoor aerial on my pc in the study and see if I get anything.

Thanks for the info-think I live 6 miles from the transmitter so will get some empty cans out of the bin…

Marge
    Free Member

i can sell you a triax sr110 fta satellite reciever with a small dish for about £45.
    this will give you about 100 tv channels

what channels does this include?

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I receive all the channels using an indoor aerial, its all about the positioning of the aerial. Go outside and look at the direction all the roof top aerials are facing, this is the direction of the transmitter. Then if you can find a window in the room that is in this direction and place the aerial infront of this. The glass window doesnt attenuate the signal as much as concrete or brick wall.

Its a bit tempermental but ive got them all 90% of the time.

curiousorange
    Free Member

Living in Northwest London, I had no aerial but instead used a length of co-ax. It worked quite well too.

uplink
    Free Member

It really does depend on so many factors that a lot of the time it's more like a black art rather than science
    I've seen scaffolding [no really] produce acceptable results & a £500 antenna give us nothing but grief

As above – I'd be tempted to split the cable that's feeding the downstairs, does it not pass your room? or can you spilt it in the loft?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anybody had any success receiving freeview using a portable aerial?’ is closed to new replies.