Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anybody got or had a Qashqai (old shape)
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

We have about 7-8k max to spend and looking at a Qashqai, great spec and kit and it would more than likely be a petrol.

Was going to be a C-MAX but on paper the Qashqai seems to win hands down with regards build quality and toys, apart from not having very flexible rear seats. (has the rear middle seat got a belt?)

Cheers

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m thinking this might be one of the cars that really really annoys the STW pistonhead brigade (which, let’s face it, is a marvellous achievement in itself).

Friends of ours bought one recently (2.0 dCi IIRC). I was a little disappointed with them for buying it. We went to Lincoln from Bristol in it and it also brought deadly junior home from Lincoln hospital to Bristol. It wouldn’t be my choice but the level of kit, spec and toys in it was fantastic. I didn’t notice it being that uncomfortable as a passenger and it certainly had poke. After a while, who cares what it looks like on the outside as long as it’s got enough toys and stuff to keep you happy.

They’re phenomenally popular so I guess you’d never have any problem flogging it on when you’re done with it. I’d say it’s one of the least offensive of the recent SUVs.

big_scot_nanny

Hello, not entirely sure what your question is, 😉 but if you are looking for general opinions, here goes –

(Caveat – not owned one, but drive my FILs one a lot), and this is compared to a Touran (our car). His is 1.5dci i think.

It is the +2, and it is excellent. He does a shed load of miles and it has romped through it nae bother.

Space is better than the Touran with the rear seats up. Generally very comfortable and good to drive.

4wd has been extremely useful in midlothian area over recent winters.

Base 1.5dci is a bit underpowered, his last car was an X-Trail and that had a lot more oomph.

In general FIL uses it as works van as well as grandkid transporter, and it gets zero love, but has just kept on truckin.

I would say it is excellent.

Kev

woody2000

I had a first gen one. I had a lot[/u] of niggly problems with it, and the dealer (I tried 2 different dealers as well) back up was effing useless, so it put me off buying another. Shame really, because in general I liked it. Roomy, comfy and economical (I had the 1.5Dci and it was surprisingly good).

Spongebob
    Free Member

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER A QASHQAI!

Rattly unreliable, poor quality product, repeated warranty claims and exorbitant servicing/repair costs.

At the first service, they charged my then wife £330 for just an oil change and lube!?

We are on our third set of rear shocks under warranty and these have also started to fail, along with the front ones now.

The shocks are made in Turkey, the engine is French (they tend to produce overcomplicated and unreliable engineering).

Constant, but intermittent engine management alarms and engine loses power. This once happened suddenly on the motorway – nearly caused an accident. Not even the main agent can work out what is wrong. They have quoted £1500 to fix this!?

Many niggles: exterior door handles stick open so the doors won’t close as you get in, inner door handle snapped off – made of chromed plastic!? Squeaky seats, windows completely misting up with condensation in winter and won’t clear.

The owners forum had to remove the multiple and repeated complaints. From reading this, we discovered that our problems were commonplace.

Worst of the twenty or so cars I have owned!

It’s a “scrapper”, total rubbish and Nissan UK weren’t interested!

Rubbish product, rubbish service, rubbish attitude from UK distributor!

DO NOT BUY ONE!

big_scot_nanny

ooh, and his has the rear parking camera, which turns out is really very useful indeed!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the level of kit, spec and toys in it was fantastic

Mmmm, toasty!

woody2000

I had the shock absorber issue that Spongebob refers to, amongst others 😐

I_Ache
    Free Member

My mother in law had a 1.6 petrol, bit slow but other than that very nice. She liked it so much that she just got a new one but in diesel 4×4 flavor.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers..

jaysus spongebob doesnt sound good, friday afternoon one? joking aside must be terrible having to put up with that, food for thought though.

4wd has been extremely useful in midlothian area over recent winters.

i doubt we’d get 4×4 but somebody told me it has 3 settings, you can turn it off? would this aid mpg?

big_scot_nanny

Monkey, I honestly don’t remember! Every time I have borrowed it is been snowy so it’s been on 4wd. Will ask!

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers, no problem thanks for replying.

my god i just checked out the ‘shock problem’ on one of those forums, not just one or two…

dazz
    Free Member

keep away, I have a 2010 qashqai, had it from new, it’s the worst car I’ve ever owned, uncorfotable, rattly, useless on diesel, things fall off, come loose inside, it does just plod on though, I’ve done 50k in it with no mechanical issues, other than interior trim falling off, as mentioned before it’s terribly underpowered

monkey_boy
    Free Member

after more research seems there were 3 recalls for the shocks.

RustySpanner

Like a Maxi, but less practical.

How about a Honda CR- V?

Tom-B
    Free Member

I love mine….1.5 deisel n-tec. It is the first ‘decent’ car that I’ve ever owned though. Mine is pretty good on fuel: bang on 50mpg for the 3000 miles I’ve put on it since I bought it in December.

dazz
    Free Member

How do you get 50 mpg? 90% of my drving is motorway with cruise control set to 63 ish & still only get around 40-43, hate the bloody thing, in fact this is the first car in a very long time that I’m replacing when it’s less than 3 years old

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sounds like you take a safer bet and buy an Alfa!

grantway
    Free Member

Friend as one and loves it

monkey_boy
    Free Member

ummm yeah its a hard one, pretty mixed response.

thanks for replies…

benz
    Free Member

I’m picking up my wifes one from the dealer tomorrow.

It’s a first gen 1.5 dci that we have had since new and has just been to get the timing belt changed just short of the recommeded 75k interval and 5 years old.

Issues? Rear shocks. On third set but no issues once I replaced them out of warranty period with non OEM ones.

This time for service/MOT it needed front anti roll bar link due to knocking and also the front driver elec window had issues going back up once down.

That is it apart from normal service items.

Never drops below 53 mpg and at times see 56 mpg on a gentle motorway run.

But what do I know about cars…I drive a 12 year old Alfa 147….

With Thule roofbox when needed it meets all our family requirements.

freddyg
    Free Member

Dad had one (from new) and hated it. Very poor dealer attitude to resolving the many issues – including the shock absorber one. He has replaced it with a Mitsubishi ASX which he loves.

beanum

We’ve got one and it’s been super reliable. The only problem we’ve had with it in 50,000km is a faulty micro-switch that locked the gearbox in park. We used a small knife to “fix” it until we could get it to a garage…
    It’s started to get a bit rattly though so I’m going to be looking into this rear shock issue, however.
    I don’t like automatics in general (we need one as my wife has a bad knee) but the ‘box in the Qashqai really annoys me the way it holds onto first gear for too long but that’s my only real complaint.
    We can load it up passengers, skis and boards no problem and with winter tyres it’s totally safe in the snow. We have the panoramic roof which is great for rear-seat passengers, so that’s worth looking our for second hand…

skeetsgb
    Free Member

i have 2 litre petrol version, had it well over a year now (58 reg). not had any problems yet (touch wood). i find it quite nippy tbh (previous cars have always been sri, gti etc) and i was presently surprised with the pull. i would imagine the 1.5/6 versions be no where near as its a big car for that size engine. i can also get my bike in the back(seat dropped) with out taking front wheel off, and 2 bikes with front wheels off.
    im happy with it and would consider buying again (probaly ntec version)

Tom-B
    Free Member

dazz I get it driving almost exactly in the way you describe 😯 I’m pretty sure that my 50.1 mpg reading is accurate…..my 20 fuel saving per week over my last car suggests so anyway!! You’ve not got a flat tyre have you? 😕

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers again for replies…

“Benz” very interesting that you fitted non OEM shocks, a lot of people who’ve had the problem have fitted ‘well known’ non OEM ones and never looked back. (if you don’t mind how much were they, DIY job or independent)

can anyone confirm if middle rear seat has a belt or not, or is it just an armrest?

ta

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yes it does, and a head rest.

withersea
    Free Member

Had a 2lite petrol 4×4 tekna from new

good points, v well specced, easy to drive, four wheel drive good, brillant panaromic sun roof

bad points, dealers, had to deal with 3 and nissan HQ all shocking, loads on niggly faults, standard shock problems, xenon light unit went and cost £300 to replace as out of warranty, fuel pump went within warranty took a week to replace as there were none in uk

either buy one from a nissan dealer that has good customer care or buy a honda crv or a good estate

and the backseat doesn’t work well unless it’s three kids, but yes they are all full belts

fenred
    Free Member

Glad I read this thread, was on my next car short list…just been struck off next car short list….

MoreCashThanDash

I had one as a hire car a couple of months ago, middle of the range spec and engine – the week before I’d got lucky and got a top spec Honda CRV, which was over £30ks worth, and given the choice I’d take the Qashqui – just seemed a better thought out vehicle, the reversing camera was excellent, and it was fairly frugal as well.

Though I still have a strange yearning to own an X Trail, and I don’t know why.

benz
    Free Member

Non OEM shocks were KYB Excel G from BuypartsBy – £60 each and 0.5hrs labour per side

benz
    Free Member

Oh, noting comment above about engine size.

Take a look at the torque curve and output of the 1.5 dci…..I recollect torque notably more and at lower rpm than the 2.0 petrol. Makes it an easy car to drive.

Picked it up from the dealer last night (bit of a drive from home) and by the time I got home was reading just over 55 mpg. This was on A class roads with snow.

Oh, the heater on the first 1.5 dci’s is frankly shocking….takes ages to get the car warm, but that is likely due to engine efficiency and heater size.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers, still looking for one, the shocks don’t worry me as a mate can easily fit better quality ones.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anybody got or had a Qashqai (old shape)’ is closed to new replies.