Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anybody got any 650 x 47 WTB Horizons
  • smokey_jo

If so could you do me a quick favour and measure diameter when inflated and actual width when inflated please?

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    smokey_jo

Many thanks Dirtyrider, my stelvio may be getting a pair shortly and I wanted to double check clearance before ordering 🙂

aP
    Free Member

What do they ride like? I’m using Compass Loup Loup Pass 38s at the moment.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Was just going to ask the same question but I’m running the Compass Barlow Pass 38’s.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve only done 4 rides on them, and nothing overly long yet, but i can easily hold 30kph on flat roads (Lincolnshire) and for the flat bridleways and tow paths round here they are great (not ridden in the wet yet)

is there probably better tyres out there no doubt, early adopter and all that, had the same when i bought a Krampus, choice of 1 tyre, i guess it just depends how you split your riding and what your local gravel/trails are like (the uk isn’t Utah, theres not 200 mile gravel loops etc)

i do wonder how much road speed id lose if i switched to WTB Byways, Terrene Elwoods, or the new Panaracer Gravel King 650b x 1.9″ (spotted on Instagram)

sq225917
    Free Member

The elwoods are a fair chunk of change slower, but grippier offroad, the gravel king sk are a touch slower but also grippier, the slick gravel kings are prety much the same tyre.

drlex
    Free Member

Curious to know what the 47 relates to, given what I can see on dirtyrider‘s pictures. At least I know they’ll fit a Bokeh 😀

nedrapier

Curious to know what the 47 relates to, given what I can see on dirtyrider’s pictures.

I was thinking the same! 37?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Now you’ve got me thinking if those wheels and tyres would fit in a CdA ❓

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its a 650b x 47mm tyre

Road Plus

PJ266
    Free Member

its a 650b x 47mm tyre

But your first image shows it to be 37mm wide?

I stared at the pic for about a minute trying to decide if I was being stupid!

smokey_jo

Just measured my voayager hyper 35’s and they are actually 38mm wide and the 38’s are 40.

Not sure what advantage I would get from those Horizons now other than tubeless and slightly quicker handling.

smokey_jo

Although the sidewalls are 5mm taller so maybe some extra cushioning.

smokey_jo

It’s claimed here that they measure up at 48mm when mounted to crests 😕

AlexSimon

PJ266 – Member

its a 650b x 47mm tyre

But your first image shows it to be 37mm wide?

I stared at the pic for about a minute trying to decide if I was being stupid! In the end I figured he’d lined up the zero with the far side and was showing the 47mm vertically on the near side.
    The angle meant we couldn’t look vertically down the far side.

smokey_jo

That’s a hell of an optical illusion but I can see it now

jameso

I measured them as 47.5-48mm on some WTB I25 rims. Around 684-685mm OD.

Not as ‘supple’ as the Panaracer-made tyres, ie basing the comparison on Pacentis made by them rather than Compass tyres which are similar casings if not lighter – not sure. The Compass tyres appeal to me as the Pari-Moto or Panaracer Gravel King is a very smooth, efficient / fast tyre but I lost way more time fixing flats from thorns and tiny flints – the lower pressure seemed to make them less flat-prone than I expected but 2 a day was pretty common. I’ve had 2 flats in well over a year on Horizons, one of those was a flint slice. I might go back and try the Compass 650x48s .. locally to start with. Has to be said the Horizons don’t feel quite as cushy as they could, but they’re cushy enough and the reliability is a benefit.

mattbee

I am using them on some Pacenti TL28 rims.
    30-40 psi depending on terrain. Was previously using G One 700×40.
    Comfier, same average speeds as before, seem faster to accelerate but lose momentum quicker.
    Surprisingly grippy off road except in sloppy mud or wet chalk.
    Have been great in Brittany the last few days with fully loaded panniers on mix of road & gravel tracks.
    I finally got a puncture today that wouldn’t seal (turns out there was virtually no Stan’s left) so had to chuck a tube in. Instantly felt less supple at the same pressure as tubeless, will be redoing as soon as I can.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anybody got any 650 x 47 WTB Horizons’ is closed to new replies.