Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anybody got a good road route around Allendale?
  • jonba
    Free Member

I know there is plenty of riding down there but it is not somewhere I’ve been. So if you’ve got a route I’d be interested so I can go and explore this weekend and would like some pointers to base my ride on.

I like hills 😈 so not looking for a flat ride.

legolam
    Free Member

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=88
    http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=84

Get a map of hexhamshire common and just follow the bridleways – lots of stuff there! Although it might be a wee bit boggy – I haven’t been across there since October.

EDIT – just realised you said road route. Ignore my stupidity! In my defence, I’m just off night shift and so tired I’m hallucinating!!

bajsyckel

How long do you want? All the roads are good around there, without exception. If you like hills, then head out to the West Allen past the chimneys, from Carrshield head left back over to Allenheads (follow the C2C), turn right, over towards Wearhead. Warmup over, head right, up over Killhope Cross, down to Nenthead, turn left up steep climb (watch for C2C’ers again), down to main road. You can loop round anti clockwise into Garrigill to give another decent climb, or head left at the cross roads, steady climb past Yad Moss ski tows and a long gentle descent down Teesdale to relax. left back over to Weardale when you’re ready, aim for St Johns probably best, hang a left, then a right for a testing climb or two, over to rookhope, turn left for allenheads and a gentle climb, turn right and spin down the valley to the start.

That’s a reasonable introduction to the area and should give you an idea of what is around. If you want a more testing outing then there are plenty of variations to extend the above.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Was down that way last year for work, cycled over from Alston to Whitfield nice steady climb pretty sure you will be able to work it into a route. Some of the other roads I drove on had some near vertical climbs on them, enjoy!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anybody got a good road route around Allendale?’ is closed to new replies.