Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anybody filed/enlarged a vertical dropout on a steel inbred?
  • deepreddave
    Free Member

Received a second hand 29er Inbred this week which looks barely used however the rear wheel wouldn’t drop easily into the dropouts so I took it to my local lbs and they’ve confirmed it’s had a bash, presumably in transit 🙁 It’s out of vertical alignment which is a straight forward fix (for them!) however the dropout has been pinched in so the gap is a couple of mms too narrow. They’re prepared to try and either enlarge it or file a mm or two off to enlarge the gap but say it could break and that’s the frame shot.

I’ve referred it back to the buyer for his view and will open a formal Paypal/ebay dispute if necessary (paypal used but not pp gift) but I wondered if anyone had or would attempt this and if so what’s the % chance of success? Alternatively I could just send it back at the buyer’s costs which will no doubt be a challenge/hassle but I’d like to keep it if possible.

hora
    Free Member

Not on an inbred but I filed the dropout on a brand new (alu) Meta 5. It wasn’t out of line etc-didnt do any harm and I stopped frequently to retry the wheel in.

RustyMac

Excuse my ignorance but is the inbred not a steel frame? surely with a bit of heat and careful persuasion the drop out could be re aligned with how it once was.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Hora – cheers.
    Rusty – yes it is so noted as that’s maybe an idea, thanks.

letmetalktomark

I had a similar issue with a damaged in transit steel frame.

I used the handle end of an adjustable spanner (perfect width and rubber coated) and eased out the dropout.

I then had my LBS check the alignment. There has been no issue with the dropout, wheel sits central, doesn’t wobble etc. I did it without any heat as it was just a wee bit out. Maybe worth a try?

nemesis
    Free Member

I would try bending it slightly first without applying too much force.

Failing that, I’d file it (and even if the bending isn’t 100% successful it’ll reduce the amount of filing necessary.

Whydot

I had a similar issue with a second hand 456, and straightened out the hanger with a shovel as it gave plenty of leverage. Worked perfectly and still going. I certainly give a go.

ads678

A shovel!! Excellent. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Scared they’d break it? Really?

Amateurs.

Basic stuff for any time served mechanic.

How would filing it break it anyway? Did it have a dropout spacer in it?

theotherjonv

Not done it on a vert but my slotty one was too narrow for my CTBM chaintugs, so filed a bit off each side to allow it to slide fore and aft. never considered it would be a problem. Am I going to die?

(Thinking about it now – I should have taken it all off the bottom, as that has no load, and if you do it on a vert take it all (or mostly) off the front side)

cynic-al
    Free Member

if you do it on a vert take it all (or mostly) off the front side)

And allow the wheel to sit squint?

The perils of internet advice…

epicyclo

I’ve done this quite a few times to make minor adjustments in chainstay lengths for a Magic Ratio singlespeed in a vertical dropout bike.

File one side to remove metal and peen the other side to bulge it in the right direction. Done carefully it is totally invisible.

As Al says any decent mechanic should be able to do it. Reluctance to do it may simply be because they don’t want you using it as an excuse to come back and complain when your bike gets bent again.

theotherjonv

Yes, true.

File the other drop out as well. Keep going until the two are realigned. Has the benefit of shortening your chainstay length at the same time 😉

In seriousness, 1mm out over a 135mm axle length is 0.4 degrees, convert that back to a 700c wheel (ie 350mm radius) and it could be as much as 3mm misaligned at the rim. The horror

deepreddave
    Free Member

Thanks all. I presume the concern about breaking was related to bending not filing – my lbs are a really good well qualified bunch so I trust their concerns are well founded. Giving a go though so will report back with a positive outcome hopefully!

cynic-al
    Free Member

as much as 3mm misaligned at the rim. The horror

For a paid job by a pro that would be pretty poor actually.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anybody filed/enlarged a vertical dropout on a steel inbred?’ is closed to new replies.