Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anybody experienced in Avid brakes?
  • racingsnail
    Free Member

My front XO lost power the last time I was out so I decided to bleed them.

When I did It was a complete disaster the lever action was really notchy and I couldn’t get any fluid through the system. (got it all over the floor though)

I bought an internals/service kit and when replacing I noticed a gouge/worn lip inside.

Is it supposed to be like that?

There’s no wear to any other parts apart from a bit of paint rubbing on the spring but it seems to sit further down the body so I don’t think its that.

I think the bladder presses against this lip and don’t think it needs to be a tight seal as its below the bleed port so you could never get any fluid in it if sealed.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Cheers
    Scott

Here’s a pic of the lip (6 o’clock halfway down)

BigDummy
    Free Member

I know this isn’t super-helpful, but SRAM had so much experience of Avid brakes that they changed the name and completely re-designed the internals.

Repair with new (and different) brakes…

🙂

Greybeard
    Free Member

My experience of Avid brakes is that they should be spelled with an ‘o’ in the middle.

toppers3933
    Free Member

My experience of avid brakes is to not go through with this sort of thing. Generally speaking they are not easily serviceable and bleeding them once either the lever or the caliper has been drained is a nightmare. They may sell the parts but servicing them very rarely has them working like you’d want.
    At least shimano don’t pretend that they’re serviceable items.

parkstar
    Free Member

X0’s are very easy to service. the lever internal comes as a whole assembly. So once the blade is off the rest pulls out. Is the groove not where the circlip locates to hold the lever internal in?

jimmy

I love avid brakes. Once you know that they perform like new with a cheap internals kit service they’re ace.

However, that doesn’t look right. Should be tonnes of folk ( da avid haterz) with spare levers up for grabs.

racingsnail
    Free Member

I thought I’d get the usual avid comments but there two and a half years old this might be the third time I’ve bled them and never had a problem bleeding any brakes.
    They’ve been great so far this is the first problem and I got a new internals kit with bladder/springs/pivot pin reach adjuster/bushes for £15 so can’t really complain about that (if it fixes it) just need to go and get more oil.

I could open up the rear brake to see if it matches but would rather not since it works fine
    I was hoping someone would know to save me the hassle.

and it’s definitely not the part for the circlip.
    I circled it here, in case no one new what i was meaning

Always hard to tell from pics though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yesh, I distinctly remember owning some Avid Codes which produced HUGE amounts of retardation, sometimes from the front, sometimes from the rear.

Once they both worked at the same time – the effect was so great my face hurt and my mate rode into the back of me.

Then one day I pulled them and the lever hit the bar and shortly after I hit the floor.

I’ve got Shimano now.

Sorry, I forgot to make a point – my LBS who I trust, told me they failed because a small bit of the body broke away and meant the circlip wouldn’t seat properly – different body, but might be the same for you?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anybody experienced in Avid brakes?’ is closed to new replies.