Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anybody ever been to Cape Cod?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m thinking of pursuing the setting of the song, plus whatever else is on offer as a holiday next year…

I’ve always hankered after a week on the USA North East coast.

Have you been, and what did you think?

Did you get a lobster stew, by a window with an ocean view? 😀

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yep. I loved it. Went in January 2000 and went ice yachting, hiking, eating and drinking.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got a friend who lives in Maine, I can send you some surfing pics if you like.

sanername

My dad was born there and I have a shack on the beach in Wellfleet. It’s pretty idillyc, dirt roads and fresh water ponds. Where I am it’s pretty hard to get to, so not that many people, but in August it can be pretty busy, especially on the weekends. There’s some pretty good biking if you look for it, I’ve retired an old SS Tinbread that I made a rigid 69er out there.

Lobster is best steamed.
    Welfleet has the best Oysters in the world, but don’t turn your nose up at steamers, littlenecks or Quahogs.
    Blue fish covered in mayonnaise and then roasted in the oven is my favourite local dish.

The south is preppy (although that’s more of a rumour as I’ve never really been there). From Wellfleet north to Provincetown it’s fairly arty, Ptown is America’s second largest gay community and there’s a great parade, but there’s no night life anywhere. Whale watching is fun for everyone older than 2.5.

Sorry this is all a bit of a random selection, I love it there.

onandon
    Free Member

Nice place. Nice area.
    You should go 🙂

muddyground
    Free Member

Sand, sand and sand. Wind. There was a restaurant years back where every food had an alternative, “gay” name – no prizes for guessing what mayonnaise was called. Sex toys. No parking. Traffic. Utterly fantastic area.

timba
    Free Member

We went in October a few years ago. Went whale watching, walking on empty beaches and enjoying fresh air and the p&q. Great
    Small boy didn’t like the horseshoe crabs that were common on the beaches, very prehistoric/alien-looking

myti
    Free Member

Yep Cape cod and Martha’s vineyard. Ate whole lobster and swam at the beach where they filmed jaws. Have American family so will be going again at Xmas.

DrJ

Spent a summer working at Woods Hole. Lovely area and nice refuge from humid Boston. Biking, beach, sailed to Marthas Vineyard which was pretty but crowded, ate clammy chowder and all the other stuff. Really nice side of America.

welshfarmer

Stayed with a friend near Providence one new year about 25 years ago and went on a day trip to Cape Cod. Must have been pretty underwhelming as I can recall absolutely nothing about that day other than some revolting bubblegum ice cream 😕

jambalaya
    Free Member

Many many years ago. It’s stunning beautiful when you can get away from the crowds.

We did dunes, Chatham, Westfield ad whale watching which was spectacular as we here at the right time of the year.

If you have time to do a tour there is much to see on the East Coast and up into mountains. Mystic Seaport was excellent. Boaton and Aquarium …

sharkbait
    Free Member

Way back in the 80’s I spent a very happy 6 months [yacht] racing and living in Newport, RI and had a great week up in Marthas Vineyard doing the Edgartown Regatta.
    I’d love to go back.

nerd
    Free Member

We went in 2009 and got engaged on a deserted beach near Hyannis. It was the end of May, though, and was deserted but cold. Still very beautiful – probably more so than when the crowds are around. Late June would probably have been better.

We flew to Boston and then caught a bus to Hyannis and then the bus again to P-Town and the ferry back to Boston at the end of 2 weeks. We stayed in nice B&Bs rather than hotels and the proprietors where amazed that, firstly, we’d used public transport and, secondly, that we walked places and hired bikes!

Whale watching in Provincetown was a highlight. Will probably go again when our daughters are older.

jambalaya
    Free Member

MInor detail it was Wellfleet we spent time in not Westfield. Whole area is interesting with a different feel inland wayer side vs ocean as you’d expect.

As I said if you had two weeks you could explore up into Maine, inland Mass or Vermont too.

thenorthwind

Yup, visited Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard for a couple of days last October. Would love to go back.

Great beaches.

Provincetown is a cool, quirky little place.

Bikes (as usual) are a great way to see the quieter bits. There’s a shop in Eastham does hire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anybody ever been to Cape Cod?’ is closed to new replies.