Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anybody else used to work in the cycle industry and miss it?
  • neil853
    Free Member

I worked in it for about 8-10 years, can honestly say I loved it. But career progression came to an end and decided to get a ‘real’ job, thing is I don’t really like the real job anymore and the constant (so it seems anyway) threat of redundancies doesn’t do it/me any favours.

Not sure i’m really looking for an answer, more just putting it out there. Should I go back? 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Do you think the bike industry is immune from redundancies!?

I worked in the retail side for 10 years off and on, it was great, but I’m glad I’ve got a ‘proper’ job. Most of the time.

spyke85
    Free Member

I do work in the ‘industry’ as they say and have to say I absolutely love it.

I think expectations are somewhat crazy at times from certain people, as in ‘I’ve smashed my mech, replace it under warranty’ or ‘I’ve had this £1800 bike and all the gera cables need replacing – this should be warranty’ etc but I do have a good laugh too.

Money isn’t great, and don’t get to ride my bike that much at all but I could never work behind a desk!

neil853
    Free Member

NO, I don’t. But although there’s the threat of it I don’t think i’m getting the work/life balance right. I woke up and clapped my hands that I was going to work before, haven’t done that for a very long time.

ah, probably just a bad day in the office 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

I do and I don’t. The industry was great, however the owner of the company that I worked for was a total bellend.

I would go back for definite, but only if I could land a job that would lead to a half decent living.

cookeaa

Define the “Industry” for me?

To my mind working in a Bike shop is just a segment of the Retail/service industry and probably as prone to the same +/-ives as working in any shop (the difference being you probably care more about what you sell than someone in topshop)

The actual cycle “Industry” to my mind would be companies producing and marketing cycling related equipment…

rusty90
    Free Member

But I bet shoe shops, for instance, don’t get people coming in wanting to waste an hour of your time blathering on about how Prada are better than Jimmy Choo before demanding you do a free re-sole on the pair of Clarkes they got cut price on the internet.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The internet isn’t awash with bitter old shoe shop workers either – thank god 😉

schmiken

I did, and I definitely don’t. The only perk was getting stuff at trade price, most of which I can now get at the same price from CRC.

The downsides were having to fix shite bikes covered in crap, a boss who was a total bellend, getting crap from customers, no weekends free and a crap wage. I’m back at uni now studying to become a teacher 🙂

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

ive got a bikeshop for sale if your determined! ive been in the trade for years.worked for bike shops,then suppliers(earned more money and rode more) then bought out a retiring customer who was selling up.i would sum it up as being great for six years and pretty tough for 2. :Dnow thinking about other things to do….

paulpalf
    Free Member

In a similar vein I’m an engineer (manufacturing and product design, in canada). A few years back I took a pay cut for my “dream job” in the ski industry. After not getting a pay rise for three years I’m back doing a “normal” job, got an almost 25% raise, and have a much more enjoyable job.

The small perks (cheap gear, very occasional ski day) just aren’t worth it. A fun experiment but overall I’d rather keep my work and my hobbies separate.

Paul

derekrides
    Free Member

I think it depends on what bit of the ‘Industry’ you are in and the word ‘Industry’ is a bit of a misnomer..

That smiley dude who runs UK bike skills, I bet he doesn’t mind going to work in the morning..

Then he’s getting satisfaction from helping kids and big kids to ride good.

I think that bit is a growing area, with lots of bike parks, they must need more smiley dudes..

I also think lots of not smiley dudes sitting behind counters unhappy need to get out and remember why they are doing what they are doing, if they set some time for themselves and went with customers regularly then maybe they would turn into smiley dudes, have more smiley customers who in turn would be happier to part with their cash.

Sancho
    Free Member

It’s hard working in a bike shop, a lot harder than working in IT, but far more rewarding, and more enjoyable.
    for me anyway.
    the money isnt as good, and I ride more when in the shop, my circle of friends is better, customers, staff, and old friends all become a part of the same social scene and I love it.

Im always thinking of things to do, like events, the team, our own range of products, how to promote the shop, how to improve efficiency in the shop, what stock to keep, ride locations, organising rides, helping customers with skills and fitness etc, trail building, trying to go big on descents, groups to ride with, making sarcastic comments on forums etc, supporting charities, watching kids go nuts when their dads get them a nice bike, its ace.
    dealing with thieves, burglars, con artists, stroppy customers isnt fun, but basically its been the best part of my life and I hope it continues.

derekrides
    Free Member

There – just like Sancho, bet he smiles a lot..

Good post dude.

pottsathome
    Free Member

Prada s are way better than jimmy Choos

adeward
    Free Member

I used to work in F1 and got invited to go and design bikes and stuff I did enjoy it
    But after a couple of years I went back to f1 and more recently a technician job
    At my local skool
    Last year did some design work with nukeproof and have got all inspired
    To do more

adeward
    Free Member

Should have added does anyone need someone with proven design
    Ability ( 10 patents in bike and damper design)
    Get on touch

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

To my mind working in a Bike shop is just a segment of the Retail/service industry and probably as prone to the same +/-ives as working in any shop (the difference being you probably care more about what you sell than someone in topshop)

I did, and I definitely don’t. The only perk was getting stuff at trade price, most of which I can now get at the same price from CRC.

Wot they said. To me, it was a pretty boring job for crap money, most of the time. A few perks, and now and then there were good moments, but day in day out it’s a good way to really kill your love and passion for bikes and biking.

The cycle retail industry seems to have become a lot more corporate and a lot less ‘friendly local bike shop’ in the last few years, and I’d imagine working in a bike shop is now even worse than when I was doing it.

But then, it seems I and others are very different to Sancho, so there you go. 😀

I spose cycling ‘journalism’ could be ok. Chipps and that seem to be doing ok could be a lot worse off.

I’d like to invent some bit of cycling kit what everyone bought and made me rich though….

Sancho
    Free Member

Ade

get in touch im workin on some designs with a friend and may be able to use your services, whats you knowledge of working with carbon?

jedi

what i do is not work at all 🙂

adeward
    Free Member

Sancho. My email is ade1963@aol.com

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anybody else used to work in the cycle industry and miss it?’ is closed to new replies.