• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by bails.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anybody else struggled inflating tyre with tubeless kit ?
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

Thought I’d try the stans tubeless kit on the beast after a spell of punctures… Std kit I was advised even on my 650b Giant stock wheels. Drilled the hole, strip in place, used the std rim strip underneath (also tried the yellow tape after removing this) soapy water on tyres… But can I blow it up (with track pump) ?? Can I **** … Just don’t get how you can inflate a tyre that’s basically loose on the rim …
    Tyre is a rocket ron tlr, do I need a compressor to whack the air in quicker or shall I just give up 🙁

Mackem

Aye until I just got a UST tyre with a UST rim – no problems then. Tyre on with hands, no fairy liquid, track pump and it’s up. Just do it.

nuke

Some tyres/rim combos are easy and can be done with a track pump, others are harder and that’s when you need…
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ghetto-tubeless-inflator-total-cost-9p

Cheap, simple and works a treat…no need for UST tyres

jonba
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/diy-tubeless-tyre-inflators

this thread also. Plant sprayers can be easily modified. 60PSI in my 5L one does a tyre nicely.

thepurist

Stick a tube in at first then pump it up hard to seat the bead. Remove the tube by only unseating one side, insert tubeless valve and jizz of your choice, reseat the bead as best you can then pump!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Getto inflator A) Works a treat B) Fun C) if the threads were to be believed WILL KILL YOU IN YOUR FACE!

torihada
    Free Member

the purist is spot on.

I was seating new Michelin tubeless tyres on Hope Enduro rims today. UST tyres on UST rims are much easier. I just kept spraying tons of soapy water onto the tyre/rim until the magic bubbles appeared and it inflated. The tyres haven’t seated well (wire bead rather than folding) and they didn’t snap into the rim, even at 60 PSI. So again I’m wishing I’d gone for new MAVIC UST rims and proper UST tyres, but hey ho, whats the worst can happen (insert pretzel gif).

AD

TR tyres seem to be an excellent ‘halfway’ house if you don’t have UST rims – I use a Stans kit and it used to take 20-30 minutes of faffing about with a ghetto inflator and lots of shaking to get normal High Rollers to seal. I’ve just put a TR High Roller 2 on and it about 2 minutes with a normal track pump – top bit of advice from a mate who had been running them for ages.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Get some Stans rims and tr tyres and do it properly. You wouldn’t use string as a gear cable or cooking oil in your forks would you.

br
    Free Member

Thought I’d try the stans tubeless kit on the beast after a spell of punctures…

Would you be trying to tubeless the tyres that had punctured – maybe a few too many holes?

bails

I have to agree with Neil. I tried a conversion kit and it was a nightmare. A struggle to inflate and then burped off the rim very easily. I’ve now got tubeless ready rims and they just work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anybody else struggled inflating tyre with tubeless kit ?’ is closed to new replies.