Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Anybody else follow a Paleo lifestyle?
  • ChrisS
    Free Member

The only evangelism I can see on display in this thread is from those taking the piss.

footflaps

wwaswas

To clarify, I was making a more general point about promotion of a ‘paleo lifestyle’ as somehow being revolutionary, not necessarily specific digs at those on this thread.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

There is an ethical dimension to it as well – encouraging locally sourced produce, sustainably farmed produce, discouraging the use of air freighted fresh stuff and eating seasonally….that said, there seems to be a lot of coconut in the Paleo diet, and I can’t remember the last time I saw coconuts growing in Yorkshire 😉

It’s got some good ideas and has worked quite well health wise for me, but I think some of the philosophy behind it is a wee bit confused!

footflaps

It’s got some good ideas

It’s not really saying anything new, eating healthily, avoiding processed food, etc is hardly cutting edge stuff….

zilog6128

To clarify, I was making a more general point about promotion of a ‘paleo lifestyle’ as somehow being revolutionary

It’s not really saying anything new, eating healthily, avoiding processed food, etc is hardly cutting edge stuff….

If it’s all common sense and obvious, why are so many people unhealthy then? Why does hardly anyone do those things?

schmiken

The only evangelism I can see on display in this thread is from those taking the piss.

Quite shocked how much stick I’m getting for following a diet that works for me. Lot of haters on this thread…

wwaswas

If it’s all common sense and obvious, why are so many people unhealthy then?

because people are very prone to acting in ways which are other than in their own best interests?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Roadkill

I reckon a lot of paleo meat would have been from scavaging. never mind coconut…any yorkshire paleo diet would eschew coconut for flattened badger and tyretrack cat.

zilog6128

because people are very prone to acting in ways which are other than in their own best interests?

Correct. And trying to steer people in a healthier direction is a bad idea, why?

oddjob
    Free Member

I don’t care what you eat, I care what I eat and what we feed our family.

The paleo idea has helped me with lots of things related to diet and health. If you are healthy, fit and happy then carry on with what you are doing.

I’ve just stopped eating processed foods and feel better for it – you can eat frozen pizza and microwave horse lasagne if it makes you happy 🙂

gwaelod
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8[/video]

wwaswas

And trying to steer people in a healthier direction is a bad idea, why?

because, in this case, it seems to be being presented as an ‘all or nothing’ package: ‘live like a cave man, you’ll feel great’.

Most people aren’t prepared to completely change their whole way of life but might, possibly, accept that watching half an hours less telly a night and going to bed earlier would bring health benefits.

No one likes ‘big bang’ changes – you only have to see what happens whenever stw gets a redesign – but may accept incremental changes that lead to a similar conclusion. What’s on offer here is too big a hurdle for the people who need to make the changes to cross.

So, by all means encourage a healthier lifestyle but don’t dress it up as being a return to some utopian past where the vast majority of people were malnourished and died young.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Quite shocked how much stick I’m getting for following a diet that works for me. Lot of haters on this thread…

Did you ever see the threads about the iDave diet? If you think Paleo is divisive….

footflaps

I think you’ll find we’re just ribbing people that seem to have fallen for some marketing nonsense which has taken ‘living a healthy lifestyle’ and turned it into some crazy new concept that’s only just been discovered…..

zilog6128

because, in this case, it seems to be being presented as an ‘all or nothing’ package: ‘live like a cave man, you’ll feel great’.

Not really.

So, by all means encourage a healthier lifestyle but don’t dress it up as being a return to some utopian past where the vast majority of people were malnourished and died young.

No one seriously does this.

Just like in the Warinner video above, you’re missing the point.

No one is actually trying to be a caveman.

I think you’ll find we’re just ribbing people that seem to have fallen for some marketing nonsense

How is it “marketing nonsense”? No-one here is asking you to hand over or has hand over any money. I suppose a few people in the US are making a living out of it now, but how is that any worse than e.g. Weight-Watchers?

Do you similarly “rib” people every time someone “falls for marketing nonsense” and buys a McDonalds? Or a bike?

wwaswas

you’re missing the point.

my understanding is that it says;

1) eat a different diet that’s very low in certain food groups and contains no ‘modern’ processed foods. This will take a lot of time to both find ingredients for and prepare.

2) sleep more

3) be outdoors more

4) exercise more

have I missed anything?

zilog6128

eat a different diet that‘s very low in certain food groups and contains no ‘modern’ processed foods. This will take a lot of time to both find ingredients for and prepare.

With those changes I think you’ve probably got the basics. Note how it doesn’t really have anything to do with cavemen.

Cooking food is really not that difficult or time consuming. How do you think people coped before ready meals?

wwaswas

Ok, so I’ve understood the basis for the whole thing and as I said at the beginning and have tried to reiterate, my problem is with dressing it up with this whole ‘paleo’ malarkey.

I have no problem with any of the individual things involved and woudl agree they’re something that everyone should be trying to do, it’s the banner that they’re placed under that I find difficult to accept – it makes it look more difficult to achieve and live with than it needs to be.

zilog6128

I just look at it as a “back to basics” approach, as I’m sure do most people who do it. Agree the Yanks might have gone a bit overboard with some aspects. Although a lot of it is people/the media who have fixated on the “caveman” idea for some reason. And it’s probably best to stay away from Paleo websites. They make this place look sane.

wwaswas

agreement 🙂

zilog6128

Cool 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not really saying anything new

Well, it is new-ish.

The biggest change between this and other healthy lifestyle options is the lack of grains. Most of the world’s diet is based on grains, with a huge amount of wheat in the West, and it seems that wheat can have quite significant adverse effects for many people.

Traditional advice used to be fill up on carbs, and don’t eat much fat. Modern thinking (not just Paeleo) seems to suggest that may not be especially helpful for weight loss.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Anybody else follow a Paleo lifestyle?’ is closed to new replies.