Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Anybody else brave it this morning???
  • leec247
    Free Member

Just got back from a couple hrs on the quantocks brilliant ride made all the better for the fact my bikes not covered in mud like normal

gusamc
    Free Member

yep, a bit of a mixed bag, beautiful near Faringdon, crisp white fields, blazing sun, no mud – but the previous passing of the hunt meant that some bits were teeth chattering to say the least, interesting animal collection – a white ferret, it actually saw me, and waited for me on a track, I stopped beside it and we looked at each other and then went on our ways, biggest dog fox I’ve ever seen, and lots of full size deer – all brave enough to stand and assess me before legging it, then it went a bit smelly – puncture and then about 20 minutes later,about 6 miles from home the airshock collapsed …….. so a slow end to a blazing day, didn’t get cold atall, well pleased, shock wanted

_tom_
    Free Member

Quick half hour on the road bike, couldn’t be arsed with any more as I was going numb, not sure if that’s the fault of the saddle or the weather 😕

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yeah, but cut short after my forks suffered a full air loss (see other thread) and had to limp home hanging off the back of the saddle to counteract the comedy head angle! Hope this isn’t going to be xpensive…

leec247
    Free Member

Sounds like I got off lightly. The only thing that played up on me was a frozen camelbak

meehaja
    Free Member

Lovely crispy mud… Even that swampy bit was like riding through crackling! Also first ride out with new (flat) bars, and gears for the first time in 3 years.

godzilla
    Free Member

7.30 Set off from Dales bike center, quite cold until we got going, no mud and even deep pools had frozen solid, broke my chain.
    Cant wait to do it again in the morning 😀

andypaul99
    Free Member

planned to go out for a 2hr ride, returned to the car 25 mins later just plain misrable today. Just set up the Turbo hope to do a decent 1hr session

Dylan08
    Free Member

Early doors solo ride … up to Baildon, crisp and fresh. Back home to have breakfast with my son, happy days 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

Just got back from a couple of hours on local bridleways. Some of them were super fast – loved it. The wind picked up on the top of the hills but amazing how just a base layer, thin merino and a soft shell keep you toasty in what must have been something like -10deg or lower with the wind chill.

I must remember not to clean my bike just before going out on a morning like this next time. Fork adjusters froze solid and when we first set off my chain was frozen stiff too. When we got back the water droplets from cleaning it were still frozen in place on the frame.

smell_it
    Free Member

Rode out to meet for a 6:15am start, for 46 road miles out of north Manchester, which regular crew of early doors riders who like to get back early for family duties. **** spiders it was bracing, but fabulous morning when the sun got going. My 6 quid px gloves were left wanting, but was back home by 9:30, and sorting some lovely fried brekkie.

XTC_Simon
    Free Member

Got to Sherwood Pines for 9am, the trails were amazing and so empty! Brand new Anthem to ride! Best ride in ages!

iainc

smell_it how do you motivate yourself for a start that early ? I keep saying I’m going to do it and never quite manage…..

bigdaddy

Running for me this morning, the usual 5k parkrun. -9 in the woods today, proper freezing! Good run though…

alfabus
    Free Member

lovely ride from cheltenham to sheepscoombe and back (with associated pining for cranham 🙁 ).

The mud is frozen solid, so we managed a 40km loop with completely clean tyres. Loads of grip too!

Dave

Klunk
    Free Member

7.30 start for a local offroad 50 miler it was cold but I wasn’t, stuffed now though. Camel Froze up until the last hour. Theres a paradox regarding frost, great until it starts to thaw, but once it thaws it makes it muddier than it would have been as the trails here are still quite dry. All in all a great ride finished off with cake and last nights left over pizza.

Bregante

I was riding about on bikes at work (plain clothes) until 3.00 this morning. Bloody freezing! 😀

bigbloke
    Free Member

Mixed feelings here of guilt and f%^k that…….the latter feeling won. 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

Running for me this morning…

This^

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Run for me as well this morning. 5 beautiful miles off road. Frozen mud is great.

anto164
    Free Member

Gentle spin on the road bike to try to get some power in my legs..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/146981588

Jamie
    Free Member

Frozen mud is great.

Some of my trails had been mashed up by horses, before the freeze came. Ankle breaking territory.

singlespeedstu

Quick hours blast round a local loop for me this morning. Garmin showing an average of -3.Trails were perfect.
    Just started snowing so I might have to get the fatbike out again for a play. 😀

themightymowgli
    Free Member

0800- and I was feeling righteous blatting round the locals trying to establish a balance between cold lungs and having the Buff up over my nose causing my sunnies to steam up. Blissful ride it was to. Sunshine, no breeze, and fast trails. It felt like summer. Almost

mrbump
    Free Member

yep,i went over to wenlock edge DH trail for the first time. very steep but good fun trying to hold the lines on the ice.

cardiff
    Free Member

Just back from a run around Cwmcarn followed by a quick loop on the bike! Was a great morning, started snowing while I was up there but was stunning! Trail riding really quickly bar a few icey sections!

All good prep for the duathlon at LLandegla next week!

smell_it
    Free Member

iainc – I’d love to deliver some great wisdom, or something highly motivational, but in truth I’m no great sleeper; I’ve never needed much sleep and once I’m awake I’m up! It helps that I’m meeting some other guys to ride with but can still do it if I’m solo. I do have to overide that voice in my head saying ‘go on, just stay in bed, it’s warm and lovely here!’ but I know that within a few minutes of being on the bike I’m going to be having fun. Oh yeah, limiting the booze intake the night before is also crucial! I think though once you have done it a few times you realise what a bonus it is to have pretty much the whole day ahead and the miles are done.

forgotmename
    Free Member

I had a 3hr dawdle around my local hills, first time out in a month, nice hard trails most of the way, but 1 thawed patch that nearly caught me out, now to repeat tomorrow!

ask1974
    Free Member

28km loop around the local hills…. By god it was cold when we left 😯 It took at least the ride to the top to get blood moving. Amazing trails, so much grip and very, very fast. Brilliant.

😛

munrobiker
    Free Member

Aye- been out every day this week, it’s been good. Frosty stuff is nice, this week’s snow made a fun change.

beagle
    Free Member

Popped out on the CX bike this morning for a cheeky high peak 2 hour job. Proper cold. Didn’t seem to bother the local farm moggie – mooched past me with a robin in his chops 🙁

Got into Manchester now for some beers with my mates. Snowing quite heavily. Good job I got out. Could have happily sat and watched Saturday kitchen eating shreddies, with the heating on full whack!!

jameso

Frozen hard and sunny, been a perfect morning in the Chilterns. Fast, grippy, a bit rougher than usual, ruts making corners more fun, I wish it this was normal winter weather tbh, I love the cold weather. Been out a few times this week, make most of it while the ground’s hard.

iainc

pishing down, +1C and windy here in Glasgow…….maybe tomorrow….

devilman
    Free Member

3hrs around woburn, in brillant sunshine.A bit nippy but soon warmed up.
    Hope to be playing in the snow sunday.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Quick blast round the BWs here in the Dales from the door. Tracks all very frozen, very dry, very grippy and very fast. Fantastic. Looks like we have a very light dusting of snow now,

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/jc_RMXGVZlk

C

IainGillam
    Free Member

Parkrun 5k followed by 50mile road ride. If I hadn’t got a new set of shoes I wanted to try out I would have just stayed in bed, glad I didn’t though.

Iain

exilegeordie
    Free Member

iainc – same in Linlithgow…shocking weather.

The wood burner’s been on for five hours now. Toasty.

tazzymtb

-8 getting dressed in the carpark only to discover my gloves were still damp from a mid week ride…..fingertips are still hurting.

3 hours of super hard, fast singletrack though and gave a random biker a go on the half fat (another convert to the chubby cause)

weather warmed to a positively tropical -1 by the time I finished

hughjardon
    Free Member

Met up with mates @ 7.30, van was reading -7!

Good 3hr ride on Ridgeway, Barbury Castle and about, Camelbak frozen for the whole ride, most of us had shifting issues 🙁

Still glad I went out though 😀

nick3216
    Free Member

yes. back in the north for the morning (currently sat at Keele in a blizzard) so rode on my old school trails. lots of forestry work going on on Longridge Fell with commensurate loss of secret trails.

On the main sections it was a case of what tyre for a thin layer of snow on sheet ice? Elsewhere the peat was mostly frozen and rideable, but when you went through you went through. Must have been a silly wet last year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Anybody else brave it this morning???’ is closed to new replies.