Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Anybody else a candidate and HATING the waiting today?
  • allthegear
    Free Member

Okay, so I stood as a candidate in the local elections here. It’s been a really intense experience and I’ve walked hundreds of thousands of steps and knocked on just short of a thousand doors in the last couple of weeks.

Trouble is; my weakness in life is a complete lack of patience. Having to wait around and not do anything active now is driving me round the bend. Can’t even concentrate on work. Arrrgh!

Rachel

iolo
    Free Member

Which party are you standing for?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Get down the pub and start writing your victory speech.
    Prepare for Office!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

got a go pro?

allthegear
    Free Member

iolo – Greens

VIctory Speech? – I’ve already been looking at prices for a duck house…

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

knocked on just short of a thousand doors

Ouch! How are your hands?

allthegear
    Free Member

Ouch! How are your hands?

well, posting the eve-of-poll leaflets has left me with a bruise on the back of my hand resembling that left by my canula last time I was in hospital…

bruneep
    allthegear
    Free Member

bruneep – yes. (and that website is bloody awful – locally, we’ll do our own next time and not use the centrally supplied tools)

thv3
    Free Member

From tomorrow you could be under scrutiny, so if I were you I’d be out there doing whatever you don’t want to get caught doing for the next 5 years just in case!

Good Luck, wish I had a STW’er to vote for 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Top marks for the humble brag!

Bon chance!

willard

Good luck! Any indication of how your ward is going?

binners

You need to put the intra-messaging cat amongst the data-pigeons, objectivising extra-communication to and from the web/Pleb. Maintain your traction in New Age techno-idealism

soobalias
    Free Member

er, your profile doesnt mention mountainbikes
    and i wouldnt mention you come from yorkshire, its not your fault

post up pics of your rivals and we will slate them for you.

(slightly seriously – how many votes do you need minimum)

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Good on you for having the gumption to get involved.

Good Luck!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Can’t you do some tie-dying or something 😉

Good luck by the way

willard

There’s nowt wrong with Yorkshire! If anything, that should add some down to earth credibility to Rachel’s reputation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

let me guess your one of them willard

willard

Not really, but my dad was.

DezB
    Free Member

Anybody else a candidate …?

On here? I very much doubt it!
    Good luck!

soobalias
    Free Member

after ‘we’ devolute the scots, the yorkies will be next.

only happy spending other folks money hashtagsmiley

djambo
    Free Member

bruneep – yes. (and that website is bloody awful – locally, we’ll do our own next time and not use the centrally supplied tools)

How can a party expect the electorate to give them the power to run the country when they can’t even organise a half remotely decent website?

I’ll be buggered if I can find anything that in any way looks like being a proposed policy or manifesto on that site. Surely if you want some votes the first thing you’d do at the start of your campaign is stuck some policies up on the homepage of your site?

Smells a bit of incompetence to me…

soobalias
    Free Member

the first thing you’d do at the start of your campaign is stuck some policies up

but UKIP have done completely the opposite and reaped the media benefits, plausible deniability i think they call it

MrNice
    Free Member

that website is at least better than the designed-by-the-blind leaflet UKIP put through my door. Not only is it in yellow ink on purple paper, every single bit of text is in comic sans.

ads678

Allthegear – sorry but ‘Old Gaywood’ made me laugh, childish I know but hey ho. You should sign off you posts with that rather than Rachel…….

Oh and good luck.

allthegear
    Free Member

Actually, it became clear to us that in our district that web is not a primary communications medium. Leaflets and door knocking are far, far more effective and that’s what we have been doing, with very, very good feedback.

It’s all a case of knowing your audience. The web isn’t everything.

Rachel

binners

Not only is it in yellow ink on purple paper, every single bit of text is in comic sans.

Its sort of appropriate really

jambalaya
    Free Member

@allthegear, am I correct in recalling you are a Subaru WRX expert ?

allthegear
    Free Member

Don’t know about expert but I did have a couple of Subarus in the past, yes. And two Alfas, if you’re counting…

Rachel

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh. Where’s JeremyJambalaya going with this line of questioning..

djambo
    Free Member

Actually, it became clear to us that in our district that web is not a primary communications medium. Leaflets and door knocking are far, far more effective and that’s what we have been doing, with very, very good feedback.

It’s all a case of knowing your audience. The web isn’t everything.

Maybe, but surely just a little bit of common sense would tell you that you should have at least something on the site about what you believe in/want to achieve. That’s the whole point of politics!

I mean someone went to the effort of creating bios of all your candidates…seems a bit self indulgent not to bother doing anything else!

allthegear
    Free Member

Djanbo – yep, you’re right. This is the first year we have made a serious attempt at multiple local seats and a parliamentary one. We have made many mistakes and intend to learn lots from all of them.

Much of it comes down to time – we have done a lot with very few active members but nothing like what we could do with dozens.

Next time, we will be a stronger force, certainly. We might not even bother with a website at all here. And that’s coming from a web developer by profession.

Rachel

IdleJon

I mean someone went to the effort of creating bios of all your candidates…seems a bit self indulgent not to bother doing anything else!

Or, if you’re going to bother doing something, then do it properly. 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

Exactly

mikewsmith
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Ooh. Where’s JeremyJambalaya going with this line of questioning..

Lol I think he’s going for the greed creds of driving WRX’s 😉

Petrolhead greens is good for the irony

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Strange how certain people on the forum try to pick people apart, rather than appreciating the bravery it takes to stand in the 1st place.

Hang in there Rachel, don’t let the buggers get you down.

dday

+1 for Jivehoneyjive

Pigface
    Free Member

Dont worry about Jambalya he lost all credibility with his statements on VAT 😆

mogrim

Strange how certain people on the forum try to pick people apart, rather than appreciating the bravery it takes to stand in the 1st place.

I think it’s a reasonable criticism, not “picking people apart” – if you’ve got a party website, at least include a link to the policies. Particularly if one of your candidates is an expert web developer 🙂

But good luck anyway!

allthegear
    Free Member

Don’t worry, we totally recognise that the website is poor. But, as people are not looking at it anyway, there wasn’t much point putting effort into it. Better to put the small amount of effort available into more effective media.

And anyway, it made a pleasant change to do some print media designs. I had almost forgotten how to do them but they went down really well!

Rachel

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Anybody else a candidate and HATING the waiting today?’ is closed to new replies.