Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anybody doing the Salisbury Saxon cx sportive – sunday 9th November?
  • jerrys
    Free Member

I’ve never done an organised event before and am toying with doing this – either the 6okms or the 80 kms route – as the start is right on my doorstep. Is anybody else doing it or done it in previous years?

If I do it should I use my 1992 Kona Fire Mountain or 2013 Genesis CdF – decisions, decisions.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Still not finished that Kaffenback? 🙂

jerrys
    Free Member

CFH – Depends what you mean by finished. If you mean “have I cut down the steerer yet” the answer is – no. 🙂 It now has SKS mudguards on, so off road clearance might be a bit tight, hence I hadn’t considered using it.

senorj

I would like to ,but I’m supposed to be decorating my bedroom!
    I’ve done a few of the cx sportives( &trail break rides – same folk) – they are very well organised affairs.
    Go for the 80k!I would take a cx.

mrhoppy

I’ve done it the last few years, always find that the Salisbury route is relatively hard, can’t really work out why though. Quite a few energy sapping sections through fields early doors.

60 & 80 begin the same and separate part way, you can change your mind end route.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had this planned to do yes, but we’re off up North again and I’ll do Raphas “Tour of Yorkshire” again instead.

Let us know how the event goes, I’m really interested in these type of events and will be doing the Wildwood one in Jan..

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

Hi Jerrys

I’m one of the event organisers. I’d say it’s a fairly close call on this one, but on balance, I’d probably say the CdF. Senor J is right, there are some tough sections early on where you might wish you were on the MTB, but later when you get onto the faster and firmer drove roads, you’ll be glad to have the CX under you.

Those early field sections are forced on us by necessity unfortunately, as one section of our preferred route tends to get wrecked by 4x4s, creating some deep, flooded mud holes on what should be a good stretch of track. It’s just in one corner of the course though, and we rejigged the route last year to take out a hard MTB biased climb early on and get that field section out of the way quicker, and put in more distance on the northern return part of the route, which has generally better all weather surfaces. We think that has balanced the course out in favour of the cross bikes a fair bit, but this is a pretty tough course all round – the climbs out of the valley on both sides are pretty big and steep!

Hope that helps make your mind up. I’ll be around at the start and finish on the day, so say hello if you do come and ride!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m one of the event organisers

Well in that case….. 😉 *waves* Not going to be able to make this, sadly. Really must get my lazy arse out on one of your events soon, though! Am sure we owe each other at least a beer.

Jerrys, hope your new style consultants look after you as well as the old one! Ahem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anybody doing the Salisbury Saxon cx sportive – sunday 9th November?’ is closed to new replies.