Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anybody broken their heel before?
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

After a stupid accident last week I’ve managed to shatter my caccaneous or heel bone on one leg. Now in a cast up to my knee and on crutches for minimum 6 weeks, maybe more if they have to operate (pin it together)
    The feeling of helplessness and not being able to ride is proper getting me down at the mo’. In 40 years I’ve never been off my feet other than flu and surf like that 🙁
    Anybody else broken the same bone, what’s the recovery time like, how quick can you get back to “normal”… When can I expect to be back on the bike, any tips for speeding up recovery, upping calcium, vitamins etc… How can I get myself motivated, thinking of getting the dumb bells out for some upper body work ?? Any advice much appreciated and not just MTFU … I know (and now really appreciate) there’s much worse off than me… Ta

Flaperon

My dad did. He had it operated on and was in a cast for about the same time. Seems to have made a full recovery but he whinges a bit if you make him walk more than about ten miles.

He did manage to perfect the technique of hopping across the room carrying a cup of tea, and came up with a rudimentary form of cruise control for his car by jamming the crutch against the accelerator and motoring it back and forth with the electric seat controls.

Can’t really help beyond that though can always ask him specific questions if you want. Oh, and if you smoke, stop. Very negative effect on successful outcome and the consultant at Exeter refuses point blank to operate on a smoker.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I did mine in a fall when climbing years ago – no plaster or pins just a spur on the back of my heel which is about 1/2 a shoe size.

morgs
    Free Member

MIL-to-be had to have her ankle rebuilt – that was part of the op. Her recovery was 3 months non-weight bearing BUT bear in mind it was a significantly more complex issue.

Although I haven’t got the broken bone thing, I am currently recovering from major knee surgery and, after 6 weeks ‘toe-touch’ weight bearing and a further 2 weeks of 1-crutching it, I am just about able to hobble about unaided.

Best bit of advice? Prepare yourself. Your leg WILL turn to jelly. You WILL end up like the hulk on one side and a 12 year old boy on the other. It WILL build back up but it will take its time. I was shocked at how much muscle-wastage there was 🙁

IME – double check EVERYTHING you are told by physios and Quacks. I had so much contradictory advice and it has set my recovery back a bit. Listen to your physio, do what they say and stay positive.

Look on the bright side, a break heals a lot quicker than a lot of soft-tissue injuries!!

badnewz
    Free Member

How did you do it?
    Hope your recovery goes well.

kimbers

Feel your pain, literally !

3 years ago broke my calcaeneus and ankle bone
    Fortunately it was a clean fracture so needed no metal or surgery but, 6 weeks keeping it immobilized was hard work, and very dull !

Managed to do some work from home and with a 1 year old I was kept occupied, and importantly, meant early nights and keeping a decent routine, otherwise I’d have been tempted to do ps3 till the wee hours !
    crutches are a massive pita but I still managed to do some decorating and stuff round the house, but keep off it, no pressure or you’ll risk setting back your healing
    Also watch what you eat you’ll be burning much less calories , I put on a stone in 6 weeks ! For bone healing avoid alcohol and fags and eat lots of protein
    Anyway after resting it, once out of a cast do all the physio – the theraband and stuff etc and swimming 10 weeks after breaking it I did the Megavalanche (wearing 510 impact high tops)

It’s fine now mobility wise but does get achey been told iya arthritis and not much to be done

I’m currently in a cast after breaking my 5th metacarpal so reliving the he fun.

curvature
    Free Member

Not the same injury but I broke my tibia and fibula whilst on holiday at the end of July.

Had a plate put on the tibia and was in a cast for 4 weeks. However when I went back they said I needed to be in a cast for another 4 weeks.

That was just under 2 weeks ago and I was told to put weight on the leg. Yesterday I cleaned my bike and changed the pedals and todayI have done the hoovering all without using my crutches.

Muscle wastage is incredible. I’ve lost over albs and is all seems to be from my broken leg. The thigh muscles are wobbly but i’m hoping that now I am walking about I might be able to develop them a bit.

In terms of getting motivated remember it could have been a lot worse. I watch some of the Invictus games yesterday and it really brought it home to me.

I’m fortunate that I run my own business so from the point I was back home I could work. I was even sending emails from my hospital bed in Gran Canaria.

As others have said it will take time but it will get much easier as each day goes on.

Like you i’d never had an accident and then do my leg big time at the age of 45!

chip
    Free Member

You lucky beggars.

I smashed my heel 12 years ago.
    No op but in plaster for 3 months and told to keep it off the ground for the duration. So crutches or hop the entire time.

When the first cast came of to be replaced with the second my entire foot looked a right mess , just covered in huge blood blisters and bruising.
    I was told they were fracture blisters and to be expected.

When I finally came out of plaster It was pointed out by a friend that I walked with my foot turned in, which accounted for my sore hip. So I had to walk consciously keeping my foot pointed forward which eventually sorted itself out.

It does ache sometimes along with the ankle which was broken and healed badly due to not seeking medical attention on a seperate occasion which gives me gyp also.

Apparently the heal is hard to brake as it like a large stone in the heel.

I would follow what the doctors tell you to the letter as it is important that it is allowed to heal properly to avoid future problems.

willv

Did mine 4 years ago. 2 weeks to let swelling down then they operated. 7 pins and 2 plates. Following the op I had 8 weeks no wait bearing then physio started. This was sore but soon started to feel better. Don’t get me wrong it ached a lot. Think I started riding in October again so about 3 months.
    Still get aches now but think I have been lucky from others stories you hear.
    I was healthy at the time and did everything the docs told me as I really wanted to get better and back on the bike.
    Biggest risk I was told was infection during the op !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anybody broken their heel before?’ is closed to new replies.