Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anybody blown away during Sunday Scott Enduro in Builth?
  • stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Great day, but god almighty that wind was like standing next to a get engine, especially at the top of the second peak.
    Knocked me off at one point, and actually blew a jelly bean out of my mouth at another. Was going to ride after it as it was a green one..

drofluf
    Free Member

How well run was the event? I’m doing the Wantage one later in the year and I starting to plan.

How well marked is the route? Did they provide a GPS ahead of time?

How far apart are the feed stations?

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Well organised with free camping, good toilets (with bog roll), changing rooms and hot showers. Plenty of stalls, a bar and good food (the roast welsh black beef bap was awesome).
    Two feed stations at about 17k apart with water, tork powder, biscuits, cake, jelly beans and bananas.
    Route was very well marked, lots of marshalls at road crossings, diversions and junctions. Maps were displayed at base but not sure about GPS (don’t have one).

Would go to the Rhayader one but it’s at the same time as the cider festival…

drofluf
    Free Member

Thanks – just what I needed to know. Looks like I can travel light in that case!

Speshpaul

drofluf, you don’t need GPS to follow the route, really well marked.
    Whats on site depends on the site, Builth is about the best as its the RW show ground, so proper bogs showers etc, others use mobile units.
    Wantage is new this year so we’ll have to see. But they are always good.

My lad (Lewis, 13) did the 50km route at yesterday with me. He is rather grateful to have a PB day today. He got blow off the bike, The second peak was just nasty in that wind.
    It would have been superb any other day last week:-)

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Yep, I did the full length route.

The wind was relentless. I turned a corner into the wind on that second peak and got blown to a standstill in granny ring and bottom gear. Struggled to stay on the trail for most of it due to being blown sideways!

Organisation was excellent. Route marking arrows about every 100 metres or so. However, I did go off course once as the wind had blown the arrows off the sticks in a couple of places.

They didn’t release a GPS as some of it goes across private land only opened for the day.

A bit too much of an exposed featureless moorland slog for my riding tastes, but might have been more pleasant on a nicer day.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I wasn’t overly impressed as the wind was minging. I almost had a toddler tantrum 😆 My personal thought was lots of uphill slog for not much gain. The event however is brilliant. The feed stations are fantastic, the staff are friendly, the routes are clear and the whole atmosphere is very good.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

That lake was a nice spot on the second peak. Thinking of hiking and camping up there providing there’s no wind of course.

Speshpaul

I was going down hill in 32/34 pedalling in to the head wind/gale.
    Clocking 6mph. Not funny.
    But the weather is the weather, can’t bugger all about it.
    The route was dry, no wind and it would have been mega fast.

ndthornton
    Free Member

My thoughts on the weather were… could have been a lot lot worse. The thought of riding across those moors that after a week of rain fills me with dread. Wind preferable for me – this is April in Wales.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Today in Wales it is perfectly still. There is no wind!

I just had lunch next to the beach in Swansea Bay. My plastic carrier bag sat on a bench and didn’t blow away. What a difference a day makes.

Was the first Marathon event that I’ve done under the new management. I think they’ve definitely raised the bar in terms of the event quality. Things like better feed stations, better sponsors, better sign posting, etc.

Really enjoyed it. These events always have a bit of an extra challenge, whether is rain, wind or heat.

Looking forward to Wantage.

scandal42
    Free Member

I can categorically state I would have taken the wind over the weather on the previous years events there.

I don’t actually like the event village there, it’s in a warehouse and the camping is so spread out it feels a bit quiet compared to the other ones, that may have changed under the new guys to be fair.

I prefer the Church Stretton and Ruthin event villages.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anybody blown away during Sunday Scott Enduro in Builth?’ is closed to new replies.