Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anybody been to The Azores? Things to do there?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Booked a last minute bargain to go there in October – gave up on looking for sunshine that didn’t involve going somewhere we either didn’t and long-haul was out of the question as we can only manage a week away. Hoping to catch the tail end of the whale migrations but understand that we’re near the end of the season so we may not see them.

We’re staying on Sao Miguel in Ponta Delgada (the capital).

Anyway, anybody else been? What’s unmissable and what’s worth missing.

Things we like: cycling, pottering, bar/cafe culture, swimming in sea, relaxing by doing stuff rather than sitting around.
    Things we don’t like: crazy culture vulturing (don’t mind the odd cathedral, but a whole day of ticking off historical buildings isn’t really our thing), lying on a beach, driving all week, coach trips

theteaboy
    Free Member

I went 10 years ago to pick up a yacht delivery.

The airport was a barn, the luggage carousel was a tractor and trailer and the pilot had 3 goes at landing the plane as it was ‘a bit windy’.

Loads of good walking and spectacular cliffs. Amazing seafood. We climbed Pico, the big volcano – 7,700 feet up rubble from sea level. Bloody hard day out but a stunning little island.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The airport was a barn, the luggage carousel was a tractor and trailer and the pilot had 3 goes at landing the plane as it was ‘a bit windy’.

I like places like this 🙂

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

Now then. I’m brand spanking new (first post but long time lurker) but it just so happens Igot back from são miguel on friday! It’s changed a bit since the other chap’s reply but it is still fairly laid back. Ponta Delgada itself is fairly small. we did it in an afternoon (not keen on ticking off churches either), so you’ll need a car. You’ll never drive far though, the island is tiny, roads deserted and you’ve got plenty of time in a week to see the island without rushing around.

Go see the lakes, esp. sete cidades and have a bit of a walk around there. Check out the natural swimming pools dotted around the coast for sea swimming. I would also recommend not eating in p delgada if you can help it, the food is ok but not spectacular (i live in spain so picky about my seafood!), try the smaller towns like lagoa or são roque for the small fisherman’s restau rants. Oh, and don’t expect anything in a hurry. Relax and enjoy!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh, and don’t expect anything in a hurry. Relax and enjoy!

Cheers dude.

Sounds like my kind of thang tbh.

Did you go on any boat trips? Whale watching? Dolphin stuff? Did you rent a car while you were there – and if so did you get a recommendation locally?

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

No boat trips but there were plenty to be had, around 40e. Our car was included in the pack we got (hotels+internal flight+transfers+car), the car company was varela . Are you by any chance in the hotel vip executive? They had a rental place on-site but Ithink most big hotels do too.

If you like exploring and walking around you’ll have a good time, most of the time you have to make your own fun but dig around and it’s not hard.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We’re going with a company called Sunvil – it was flights and seven nights B&B in a four star (comes up as 4/5 on TripAdvisor) for £400 – sounded alright for the money tbh.

There’s another couple of friends of ours going so I guess car rental won’t be that bad between us all for a few days anyway…did you do any cycling when you were there?

We’ll probably do some of the hikes to the caldeiras I should think (stout walking boot purchase required) – and maybe drive here and there. Must get quotes for car rental now I guess.

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

No cycling unfortunately, had my cycling holiday at the beginning of July!

A car is agood idea like I said to extend your options and to get you out of the city. 6 days in pd and you will be bored.

Ceebug
    Free Member

Due to its location the Azores is one of the best spots for whale watching in the world. It’s most famous for it’s resident population of sperm whales but at any given time you could also encounter blue, fin and humpbacks as well as a plethora of other Marine life. Getting close to a 100+ tonne creature is a pretty exhilarating experience…..

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

How was it?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He hazzunt mentioned it at all. 😯

Maybe *something happened*….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anybody been to The Azores? Things to do there?’ is closed to new replies.