Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anybody been to Santa Clara / Silicon Valley?
  • lodious
    Free Member

Off there on business in a few weeks time….looks like I might be able to take Mrs. L. Is there anything to do round there? I visitied San Franscisco / Yosemite a few years ago, and wouldnt mind going again, but is there much to see on the California coast?

NZCol

My bro lives in Los Gatos and I spend a lot of time there. Monterey aquarium is really nice and a beautiful spot, pebble beach etc as well. Santa Cruz for a wander round and a couple of good brew pubs. The whole coastline is pretty epic,

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Isn’t it the murder capital of the world? Watch out for those vampires!

somouk
    Free Member

I was there two weeks back. Not really much to do beyond the obvious bits like Alcatraz. If you fancy it there is the intel museum as well and I took a geeks pilgrimage to the apple HQ.

There’s a really nice mall in Santa Clara called Westfield Valley Fair that has really nice designer shops that your mrs will no doubt like.

If you get chance head to the ‘New Tandoori Cafe’ if you like Indian food. It’s a bit rough and ready but the tikka wraps are epic.

Finally, don’t stray off the beaten path, it is a rough area.

ianv
    Free Member

As NZ col said, Monterey, Santa Cruz, possibly Carmel and the Pacific Coast Highway.

tonyd

There’s some great riding all over the peninsula. Los Gatos is good and last time I was there there was a good bike shop on Main Street that rented half decent MTBs, HT should do you. Cross the bridge to Marin also, some beautiful places to go and see there with some great coastline. Muir woods is worth a visit. There is some fantastic hiking in the redwood forest just outside Santa Cruz (Fenton IIRC).

Sod the Intel museum and and Apple HQ, if you want to do a proper pilgrimage get yourself over to Marin, rent some bikes, and ride up Mount Tam, over to Repack, etc.

If you just want to do sightseeing stuff, then San Francisco itself is a pretty cool place to just wander around. If you want to do Alcatraz then book in advance. If you’re in Santa Clara, can you move hotels and into SF for the weekend perhaps? Also Napa for vineyard visits etc.

lodious
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions….hill walking and biking sounds like a good plan…It would be nice to feel some sunshine 😉

steveoath
    Free Member

+1 for napa this was an ace trip.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anybody been to Santa Clara / Silicon Valley?’ is closed to new replies.