Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anybody been to Donnigton to watch motorsport?
  • lodious
    Free Member

Thinking of taking wife and kids (age 3&6) to this tommorow (The Masters Classic)…..

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/events?event=165

Any idea what it will be like (will it be mad busy, is carparking OK, should I get there early?)…looks like it might be fun?

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve been a few times for MotoGP World superbikes & touring cars – the track is good & spectating excellent but after the traffic cock ups at the end of the 2006 MotoGP which took us 4 hours to get out of a car park, I vowed I’d never return! but if its not a major event you should be OK
    Also there is a huge amount of building going on there this year for the F1 modifications.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

It’ll be noisy – it’ll be brilliant!

dr_adams
    Free Member

Yeah, also did moto gp in 06… was terrible! not been for smaller events but i echo snaps, should be ok.

the-muffin-man

Parking should be fine, its not a major meeting like the touring cars. Donington is a great circuit to watch at.

Not sure if its open at the minute due to the construction work, but you can normally park on the infield, and if you’re lucky get a space on the pit straight!

You get to the infield via the tunnel at coppice (the tunnel at the esses is now closed)…

atlaz
    Free Member

Even with touring cars, I used to park pretty much where the chequered flag is on the image above. If you park in the infield you can easily walk to most of the good viewing spots and, if you get the right place near craners, you can see about a third of the track.

redthunder
    Free Member

yes

years ago

and

very good.

lodious
    Free Member

Cool, I’m getting quite excited now!

the-muffin-man

Make time to have a walk around the paddock as well – not only can you get up close to the race cars, you’ll see some very nice road cars parked all over the place as well (and usually some rather nice eye-candy too, but don’t let the wife catch you looking!!).

You can get to the paddock via the tunnel under the pit straight, or the entrances on the outside of Redgates and the Melbourne Hairpin.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I like sitting in the in field opposite Starkeys bar, especially as there has often been a big screen somewhere around there too so the racing can be followed when the go round McLeans. You cna see them through craner too and the old hairpin from there plus its handy for the loo and overpriced tea and burgers.

Between coppice and Mcleans can be windy

Foggy S’s is pants to watch from.

Get there early as there will be plenty of “shopping” to do and you won’t get bored. There’s not much point sitting in a great spec from dead early on because hundreds of people will just come and sit infront of you and it will annoy you. Better just to head to where you intend to stay an hour or less before the racing starts. Take a chair and poncho and brolly and sun cream and beer and money and crisps.

the 2006 MotoGP traffic shambles was caused by Donnington not paying the police to control traffic lights in Donnignton village (apparently and according to MCN). Hopefully they have learned.

singletrackmind

Driven it , spannered there and spectated.
    Its a good circuit as you can see the cars for alot of the lap. Might be woth getting seating as the little ones will be up higher. DFeffo try to get into the PAddock area. Most drivers / mechs will have 2 mins for a chat. Beware the cost of foodage tho, so wirth taking a pic-nic.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anybody been to Donnigton to watch motorsport?’ is closed to new replies.