Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • any Yaris owners?
  • bruneep

thinking about one the TR for mrs b

thoughts, moans and gripes all welcome.

matt_outandabout

New model? Or the older one?
    Ours is 10 years old D4D T3, 78k, my dad then I have owned since a three month old demonstrator.
    So far it has tyres, service, pads and discs and some new windscreen wipers. It lost a couple of plastic wheel arch things in the snow a couple of winters ago. That is it. Great, especially when you consider how I treat it (see below).
    It is a proper workhorse, and quite fun to drive – maybe it is the D4D but it seems ‘happy’ on the motorway at speed.
    Would buy another any day.

The mighty Yaris by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Canoe in a Yaris…. by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

bruneep

would be a new model their current finance offer is looking v good.

and 😀 at the canoe in a Yaris.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The new ones look quite big compared to the older ones. Colleague has one from the garage at the moment whilst her car is in for repairs and parked next to my Corolla in the car park there wasn’t a great deal of difference size wise (externally).

killwillforchips
    Free Member

My Missus had one for years. Used it as part of her job (social worker), racked up hundreds of thousands of miles and drove it like a div’; numerous crashes, curb mounting etc.

Poor little car never failed her, bullet proof reliable. She’s now battering a brand new Peugeot 207 that’s already malfunctioning.

househusband

I had one of the first ones to arrive in the UK – built in Japan before production moved to, IIRC, France. Utterly reliable, had it for nine years – only in the last year or so did I have to think about new exhaust and a few other bits.

AdamW
    Free Member

Mine is 11 years old from new. 101,000 miles or thereabouts, 998cc engine. I’ve just replaced the shocks on the front (first time) and that was due to all the speed bumps on the roads at the estate I work at.

Beginning to think of Auris next, perhaps at the end of the year. The icon looks good. Want to get a mounting bolt for rear as my yaris’s rear seats are always down with tarpaulin on there for bikes – inside of car is all mucked up now!

Daniel
    Free Member

I have a 57 plate D4D for commuting. Economical. Cheap to tax. Cheap to insure. Reliable. Standing up to general abuse and kids well. Does everything you need a small car to do. Digital dash is horrible. Can’t say I love it though.

househusband

AdamW; I just took the rear seats out of my 3dr Yaris – it came out with only four bolts needing undone! It was only ever me and one other in there anyways. You could probably use the mounts for the rear sliding bench as a secure point for a homebrew bike mount?

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Bought an 02 model in 2007, my first car… still my first car. Can’t really fault it. Someone told me it was at the time the third most reliable car, touch wood it seems to be pretty reliable.. Only probs I’ve had are the gear box – it’s pretty notchey getting it into 1st sometimes and I’ve read that that is a Yaris issue but for a car that’s over 10 yrs old it’s not too bad. As with all small cars the seat is not inline with the steering wheel or pedals but I’ve seen far worse. It’s also quite nippy in the low gears too and the steering is nice and light.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Still does 52 mpg in winter, tax is £120. Tyres – cheaper than my bikes!

DezB
    Free Member

Wife has an 07 model. Stupid looking car, but its never gone wrong and the mpg is about 43 average (petrol, all short journeys).
    My brother is a sales manager for Toyota, so if there’s any “insider info” you need, drop me a mail 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

My ExG/F (whome I still very good friends with) has a 61 plate 1.4 version, 4 door in black and it’s an excellent little car, to date she’s had no issues with it at all and it’s a perky fella. Way better than the B Class she had before it..
    I honestly don’t think you can go far wrong with a Toyota.. (I have. Prius, and it’s an excellent motor vehicle, although he’s going soon to make way for its bigger brother)

Daniel
    Free Member

About 64mpg average according to the on-board computer (A roads). £30 a year tax. 90bhp so not too slow either.

Its a TR model too. Aircon, lots of airbags. MP3 player.

flyingmonkeycorps

51 plate SR, we love it! Though something’s gone on the wonk with the air blowers, so I’m looking forward to the prospect of trying to remove the dash and figure out what. Joy.

themoodster
    Free Member

Steer clear from the multi-mode (auto) gearbox, it’s terrible. Other than that’s it’s a solid car and massive on the inside for its size.

bigjim

my ex has a Y reg one and it is fantastic, nothing has ever gone wrong with it and it is super cheap to run and service. Its a 1.3 but is quite happy on the motorway and can take two bikes with the wheels off in the boot happily. We were getting about 47mpg but that dropped to 43 with two bikes on carriers on the roof. Smashing cars.

deano8
    Free Member

2010 plate D4D with 80000 miles, abused by learners. They get 52mpg with 6 speed box.
    Repairs so far
    New turbo
    New bearings in the gearbox
    One piece of rattling trim replaced
    The above were repaired under warranty with no quibble at all.
    100,000 warranty swayed me towards the Toyota and I would buy another as the service has been excellent.

dab

We had one before we bought our civic
    Great little car, bombproof , cheap to run / service
    Silly cheap tyres and bits

Apart from tyres / brakes the only thing we ever did in 80k
    Motoring was a belt change (£40)

I quite like the new one in silver

NormalMan

My father has a 2007 T3 with autobox. He has had it from nearly new and it’s only covered 21k.

He loves it. Very practical and economical. Only downside (imho) is the very jerky/lumpy autobox round town. Other than that a decent small car.

deepreddave
    Free Member

The cheapest new one I could find (diesel) was c£13k new. Off to test drive a Hyundai i20 this morning – nearly £4k less, 30% more mpg and 5 yr warranty. Sure the Yaris is better but seems a no brainer.

DezB
    Free Member

Hyundai i20

Dibbs
    Free Member

My wife is on her 4th (currently 11 plate TR), (1, 1 litre and 3 D4D diesels) our son has her 2nd one (52 plate D4D 106,000 miles) and apart from tyres and servicing all its ever had fail is a power steering belt.
    Edit: Just taxed it £20.

matt_outandabout

30% more mpg

Sister and brother in law are getting nowhere NEAR stated mpg on their new Kia.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Have an ’05 TSport, Doris, Beautiful Car and can fit a fair amount in the boot, Not tried a canoe yet.

Pigface
    Free Member

My Mum had one of the originals and it was brilliant, a guy I work with has a brand new one and I found it really disappointing. In side is so bland and miserable, harsh drive and really awful fuel economy, the 6 speed box doesn’t seem to bring any benefit at all.

Physically it seems much bigger than the original.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Just had letter from my dealer offering 0% APR on Yaris TR registered and delivered by 30th March.

matt_outandabout

Just had letter from my dealer

?

Aidy
    Free Member

GFs got a 2004 one, seems alright. Has taken a few bashes without complaint, and seems to be relatively economical (both in fuel and in maintenance). Stupid electronic dashboard, though. And a funny radio, so you can’t swap them.

Dibbs
    Free Member

And a funny radio, so you can’t swap them.

Yes you can, I’ve done it.

Aidy
    Free Member

Oh okay, so you can. Relevant fascia thingy isn’t too pricey – I obviously didn’t look that hard 🙂

deepreddave
    Free Member

Hyundai – I didn’t want to like it but it’s ok and makes lots of sense. Head v heart time. Very positive on the Yaris so far tho’ so maybe that explains the price tag.

As for the mpg, I’m not expecting to get the clamed figs (am really as I drive like Mr Daisy) but comparably it’s still way more and the test figs are independant after all….

deepreddave
    Free Member

Just looked at the whatcar true mpg figures – not all models there but some REALLy big differences which on the downside makes the financial decision more confusing and on the upside easier to justify the one I LIKE! 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘any Yaris owners?’ is closed to new replies.