Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • any winter (road) jersey recommendation?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

going in circles looking for a winter jersey for the road bike, i’d like merino but only the howies cadence seems to be in my price range and not sure its warm enough.

anyone got any recommendations?

Yak

For proper winter I’ve got a dhb asv roubaix windslam jersey. Properly warm. Needs temps near zero.

But that is overkill for autumn or mild winter, and given that my old mid-weight jersey has just died, I’ve gone for a Torm T8. Awaiting it now.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks yak, Torm had not come up in my searches, they look nice.

djglover
    Free Member

I have a TORM too, its fine for a day like today, 11C, a bit lower and I’d need a base or a gilet. Only problem is the arm length for me, they are too short.

Near 0 and It would be a base with a thicker windstopper.

benp1

I quite like wearing a softshell jacket instead of wearing a thicker jersey… maybe that makes me weird

My long sleeve jerseys are random, warmest one I have is a Pearl Izumi one but no idea which one it is. Howies one is quite nice but wouldn’t say it’s for winter unless layered and with a gilet

fifeandy
    Free Member

Merino is a nice enough material, but not sure why you’d pick it for an outer layer – better suited to base layers for properly cold days.
    Any reason you are discounting the millions of variants of jersey with the great combo of windproof front and brushed back?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve a PedalEd one, which is glorious but rather pricey. And I’ve had good wear out of Vulpine.

🙂

prawny

I’ve pretty much given up on finding a decent winter jersey and just stick a gilet over a short sleeve jersey arm warmers and base layer. I’ll resort to a softshell if it gets really cold (sub zero for me)

Riding to work on monday it was 1 degree and I was toasty warm. The jacket hasn’t made it our of the wardrobe so far this winter.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

The morvelo long sleeve jerseys are pretty good and worth a look. Combined with a base layer they are toasty warm but not a sweat fest, i add a gilet for the sub zero days.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any reason you are discounting the millions of variants of jersey with the great combo of windproof front and brushed back?

+1

Endura Jestream FS260, it’s pretty much the only jersey I wear between now and Easter. Add a base layer and it’s good even on sub zero night rides, or add a gillet for early morning starts.

plus-one

I picked up couple of these 2 years ago(sale time)

It’s my go to jersey for most of my winter road riding ..

Rapha haters can hate(I was one) it’s a well used bit of kit and it’s replaced all my other long sleeve/gilet/extra layer combo’s ..

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/winter-windproof-jersey/product/WJY09XX

benp1

No one mentioned a Gabba yet? 😀

lunge

I use a Lusso Breath then vary the thickness of the base layers underneath. I also add a fillet on too as needed. Works for me and the jersey is/was cheap and warm.

sefton
    Free Member

Gabba is obviously fantastic

got the Castelli Alpha jersey – awesome – so I reckon the Alpha jacket is a winner for somethign a little warmer.

got the Catelli Morelli (think thats the name) very thick and warm

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wore a Sportful R&D Wind jersey an awful lot last winter (and autumn and spring). Brilliant jersey for when it’s not freezing out. Warm when you need it to be, and very breathable. You could do some hard efforts and not cook, then back off and it’d still keep you warm. They seem to have replaced it with this for this winter.

Colder weather would get something thicker and like a Solo Equipe. I’m tempted to try that Torm jersey, love their short sleeved jerseys, but if the fabric is the same weight I think I’d want something a bit heavier.

No one mentioned a Gabba yet?

Not a winter jersey for me.

benp1

I’ve got a Brynje mesh base layer incoming, interested to see how that’s going to work out

The other option would be to layer up baselayers with a normal LS jersey on top

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i just like the merino stuff i have and looking about the crazy bright logo’d up cycle stuff i’ve mainly seen is not my thing – i’m a flat black understated logo type of wearer.

also to be honest i don’t know much about road stuff, the only thicker jersey i’ve ever has was a fox one from the early 00s. all i know is that i get really cold on a road bike especially as i live on a hill so do a good mile downhill before i start peddling, its what stops me cycling most of the time, and that in the past i’ve just used a pertex jacket over a couple of my mtb tops.

thanks for all the suggestions though, some good ideas.

iainc

The Howies Cadence one is good, but not windproof so not warm on the road on a cold day. Good with a Gilet over it though.

I have gone from LS jerseys and Gilets to Gabba’s both LS and SS (with nanoflex armwarmers) and a Castelli Perfetto for cooler or damp road rides now. The LS one with a Craft baselayer sees me down to around 6 degrees, if colder I have a Sportful NoRain that is good to subzero (when I would be unlikely to be out if icy….)

fifeandy
    Free Member

@tinas, agreed on the FS260, i have one of the first ones with windproof front, must be 5-6yrs old now, starting to look a bit tatty, but still works just as well.

@sefton Mortirolo is the one you are thinking of. Can be had on a good discount atm in some size/colour combo’s. Has been replaced by Paaso Giau for this season.

@mrblobby, agree that gabba isn’t really a jersey, although in long sleeve, might acheive what the OP wants.

@gav, you get colder on a road bike as you are moving faster, and usually less shelter compared to a mtb. That’s why so many tops (even spring/summer ones) are now featuring windproof fronts. The new fs260 may be understated enough for you.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-fs260-pro-jetstream-long-sleeve-jersey/

turneround

castelli Alpha jacket, awesome and ive had a few jkts in my time.

castellicafe have them on special from time to time

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The new fs260 may be understated enough for you.

Ohh, I like the look of that, might have to add it to a Christmas list.

My only comment would be that Endura sizing can be a bit in between, it’s like the L and XL versions were tailored on entirely different body shapes, L was for a 6ft racing snake, XL is a bloomin’ tent (or as a marketing department would likely put it “relaxed fitting”)

BigR

I love my Sugoi RS. Wind proof, ok in a shower, soft against your skin and when the temp drops just add a base layer. Can be had for <£50 if you search.

senorj

I like merino base layer under a normal Jersey ,combined with gillet& wind proof arm warmers.
    Add head warmer and windproof gloves as it gets colder…I run hot ,so the gore phantom doesn’t come out until it’s freezing .
    I have a lovely orca one (needing crash repair)and a few endura ba ba ones .

dthom3uk

I love this:

Baked Alaska

Not a pure roady top but it is a very versatile piece of kit. It’s durable as well, I’ve had mine for 5 years+ and there is very little sign of wear.

xyeti
    Free Member

That baked Alaska looks a cracking top dthom, mind you so does that Rapha one,

I plumped for an ENDURA Roubaix and it’s great, wore it today with a merino baselayer. That easterly breeze is a bit cool at the moment so bad to bob on my gilet half way round as it was raining.
    So I now need some gloves and over booties as my roadie slippers are like a colinder.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, another vote got the Rapha one.
    I’ve got a couple of them, and they’re great bits of kit.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I have Rapha Brevet and Café du Cyclist winter jerseys, both merino, and I wear them with a gilet/jacket when wet.

Both £40ish in the classifieds and on eBay, respectively.

singletrackmind

Sugoi RS Thermal ????
    £29.99 online .
    Plus arm warmers for spring / autumn
    Stealth Black only , which is a big negative for me

cloudnine
    Free Member

LS gabba with a good ls base layer.

I run warm so it’s perfect for me.

Vortexracing

I find the Castelli Transparante excellent

tomhoward

Another vote for a Rapha Brevit

fudge9202
    Free Member

Have a look at Stolen Goat.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Do people really wear jerseys that aren’t at least partly windproof in winter?

I thought it was from the days before they did lightweight breathable windproof stuff.

I’d at least wear a jersey with a windproof front unless it was summer. Stopping the wind/cold air will keep you warmer than just buying a thicker jersey.

xyeti
    Free Member

Most of the modern materials used in these kind of tops are based on the windstopper material but without paying their duty and embroidering a red logo on it, a bit like pertex, simpatex, with Gore-Tex fabric.

It would have to be cold hovering around Zero before you could feel the cold in versus the hot air out, personally I prefer to feel the air circulating and regulate this with baselayer or layers, the only exception to this for me is cold and wet, that’s when I’ll put on a light weight gilet which will keep the cold air off the body’s core and again depending on base layers will determine how you manage the cold, more importantly for me is what I wear next to my skin.

dragon
    Free Member

Do people really wear jerseys that aren’t at least partly windproof in winter?

Yep but then I wear a gilet, which I can remove or put on as I feel like. Works fine for a range of temps ~5-15C, for colder I have a windproof Sportful Fliandre jacket.

lunge

Yep but then I wear a gilet, which I can remove or put on as I feel like

+1.

Yak

Gilet +1.

Off road too. Best bit of autumn / winter kit Imo.

prawny

+3 on the gilet, a nice little packable one with a mesh back will see you right.

The morvelo one’s look good, I’ve got a sportful reflex and it’s ok but could do with more mesh.

iainc

That Ground Effect Baked Alaska one linked earlier – I had one, probably 10 years ago ,and loved it. MTB rather than road and was a casual fit – I wore it through a few years of autumns and spring rides until it eventually fell apart from crashes and jaggy bushes. Think back then it was about £45, now double that 🙁 I use an Endura Windchill for same stuff now, but wouldn’t use it on road as not very aero.

komainu
    Free Member

I chanced a Sombrio merino jersey from chainreactions at just £17.99, (down from £84.99 – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sombrio-fall-haul-merino-jersey/rp-prod127085) and have been hugely impressed with it! Upon reading some reviews I thought it best to unpick the stitching of the yellow ‘sombrio’ front logo as it was prone to lifting away the threads and damaging the jersey when washing, (took about 2 hours to do) ever since it’s been a great garment for colder days, the fit is much nicer than pictured as well. It appears there’s only four XS sizes left though, if you have[n’t] the guts?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘any winter (road) jersey recommendation?’ is closed to new replies.