Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any Wine Buffs or ideas for first birthday present?
  • convert

My niece’s first birthday is coming up. She doesn’t want for anything from what I can see and can’t be doing with buying more plastic tat (counted 32 plastic bath toys whilst round there sat on the karzie the other day – I’m easily bored but 32?) though social pressure seems to point to me buying her something.

So I was thinking maybe a bottle or two of something to put away for when she’s older. But, can you buy a bottle of 2011 (the year she was born) yet worth keeping?

Failing that – maybe the paper from the day she was born? I’m crap at significant presents.

TubsRacing
    Free Member

You’re on STW!!!! Surely it’ll be a balance bike??!!!

convert

You’re on STW!!!! Surely it’ll be a balance bike??!!!

I was wondering at what point uncle convert should start to have a cycling influence on the little monkey! When does a balance bike become an option?

TubsRacing
    Free Member

TBH I think I waited until my niece was 2 before I got her hers, but if you’re stuck for ideas…..
    Also got her a Trunkie suitcase thing at some point which seemed to go down quite well and at least pretends to be useful

hels
    Free Member

Surely the parents will just drink the wine ?? I gave some friends of mine a rucksack shaped like a shark for their kid. Seemed to go down well.

unklehomered
    Free Member

ANy wine like that you got her would probably never be drinkable (nice) after 16 yrs anyway… those old bottles people collect are never drunk, they just don’t depreciate like cash or shares…

Whiskey however… now you’re talking… Jura do one with a blue label supposed to be VERY nice…

Gweilo
    Free Member

You could get her a bottle of 2011 red, I’d suggest a Bordeaux or Burgundy of some description, problem is you’ll have to buy a case in an en primeur offer as the stuff that will last until she’s 18, and will be an awesome drink when its that old isn’t even in bottles yet….

Berry Brothers & Rudd web site might be worth looking at.

Whisk(e)y idea is good as well and a dated port is another option

RichPenny
    Free Member

ANy wine like that you got her would probably never be drinkable (nice) after 16 yrs anyway… those old bottles people collect are never drunk, they just don’t depreciate like cash or shares…

Not true on either point.

I wouldn’t go for wine though because it does need a bit of careful looking after. What about opening a savings account or buying something that’ll mature at 18?

mogrim

If you’re going for wine, get something the parents can drink to celebrate her birthday. If you want 2011 wine to lay down for the next 17 years you’ll probably need to wait for a year or three, new wines generally aren’t recommended.

In fact, just get the parents a decent bottle or two, with some nice shiny wrapping paper and maybe a decent size box for the kid to sit in.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You could get her a bottle of 2011 red, I’d suggest a Bordeaux or Burgundy of some description, problem is you’ll have to buy a case in an en primeur offer as the stuff that will last until she’s 18, and will be an awesome drink when its that old isn’t even in bottles yet….

Berry Brothers & Rudd web site might be worth looking at.

This is good sense.

Buying a case en primeur is a lovely idea, but it would need storing and looking after until it/she is ready for it! Do the parents seem the type that would look after a case? (Or would they scoff it? 😉 )

Gweilo
    Free Member

Do the parents seem the type that would look after a case? (Or would they scoff it?

I’d scoff it 😀

My meager collection of en primeur is in a bonded store and cared for by the wine society. The only toy of mine in the kitchen, the wine fridge, is getting worryingly empty….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gweilo, get some Good Ordinary in. Saves you worrying about quaffing the good stuff! 😉

joepose
    Free Member

Fine Italian Barolo’s are a good start but agree with the whisky centiment all the way – for something different try a Bunnahabhain 🙂

theotherjonv

seriously? Do many 18 year old girls particularly like single malts or port?

Best suggestion so far is a big cardboard box to sit in, and maybe put the money you’d have spent on the whisky into a savings account instead.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any Wine Buffs or ideas for first birthday present?’ is closed to new replies.