Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Any web site people out there for a bit of help?
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

I have inherited the job of looking after our club website. This has been fine when all it involved was fixing a broken link or such like.

The latest request was to have the membership form on there to download. Any ideas how to go about it? I can happily FTP the word docx. to the server and even link to it. But how on earth do i make a ” click here to download” sort of thing?

Many thanks in advance

warton
    Free Member

off the top of my head just use an anchor tag (a href) pointing to the file location? I haven’t done web stuff for ages, but pretty sure if it’s a doc file or similar it gives the option to download.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Cheers Warton.

I think google might just have shown me the way, even managed to cut and paste the HTML!

Cheers

DickBarton

Let’s assume the document is called ‘membership_form.doc’ –

Upload the document to the webspace and make sure you have the URL for it.

On the webpage you are wanting a text link from, add the following code (in this example anything shaped with <_ should actually be add with the underscore – I’ve added the underscore to make sure this doesn’t do any actual html!)

<_a href=”url_of_document/membership_form.doc” target=”_blank”>Download the Membership Form in Word format (link opens in a new window)<_/a>

This will create a hyperlink to the form with the words – Download the Membership Form in Word format (link opens in a new window) – as the actual link.

You can do the same with an image but instead of using text, you would put the html for an image in there i.e. –

<_a href=”url_of_document/membership_form.doc” target=”_blank”><_img src=”url_of_image” border=”0″><_/a>

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Any web site people out there for a bit of help?’ is closed to new replies.