Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any Weather Station recommendations
  • dannybgoode

I fancy a home weather station – mainly to tie in with my ham radio habit but meteorology interests me generally.

Any recommendations for a home station – full works preferably; rainfall, wind direction and speed and preferably one that hooks in to the computer to log.

Don’t mind spending a reasonable amount for a good ‘un (£2-300).

Russell96

First time I’ve seen ham radio mentioned on here (GW1RVC) I just use whatever my BBC weather app on my phone says if anyone asks and rely on the barometer on my Garmin Fenix for my pathetic attempts at forecasting.

dannybgoode

I mentioned ham a couple of years ago when I go my M6 but there’s not many of us on here! Just Wednesday I got possible the best Christmas present I’m going to get this year – a large envelope from the RSGB containing my pass certificate for the full license.

Really didn’t think I had done enough in the exam but somehow scraped through.

Danny M0SDB

Russell96

Congrats, are you going to put it to some use with some homebrew or additional power?

I’m currently waiting on the delivery of a magnetic loop to have something semi decent to go portable with on my FT-817 also started dabbling on DMR.

dannybgoode

Looking at the Acom 1010 or 1000. 1010 is probably enough for me.

Radio-wise I have a TS480SAT, a stunning, like new TS830M (same as the S but with an AM board. Like rocking horse droppings – particularly one so nice) and an Elad FDM Duo – stunning piece of SDR engineering.

I did have an FTDX3k and an 857 but sadly had to sell those for funds. Did work /p on the 857 with a Buddistick. Sat on the cliffs at Filey and bang – 58 in to the ‘States. Great fun.

Am back in meaningful employment from Jan so can start building the station up again…

gwaelod
    Free Member

Davis weather stations are the go to enthusiasts kit, but can get expensive when you’ve added all the bits and pieces to enable the logging. Oregon scientific WMR range are cheaper, though quality of the externals maybe isn’t quite so robust. Not all the WMR range offer connectivity to outside world though so check carefully. Have a look at cumulus/sandaysoft for software to upload data to your own website or places like Met Offices WoW network.

Russell96

There’s just something about an old transceiver, I still lust after a FT757GX which was the mutts back when I passed back in ’85.

dannybgoode

Thanks gwaelod. Seen the Davies stuff. Looks decent but as you say by the time you can actually hook it up to a computer is quite expensive.

At Russell. Just love my 830. Properly nice radio – I like the modern stuff but sometimes it’s bliss to kick back with the 830…

dannybgoode

Bump for the evening crowd. Anyone else any suggestions on a home weather station?

CraigW
    Free Member

I have been looking at this previously, seems the best cheapish option is the Technoline WS-2300 / WS-2350 (also branded as Lacrosse). It costs about £100, including the sensors and a PC connection.

I am planning to setup one of these, connected to a Raspberry Pi in the shed. So that could give me a web page for weather, plus upload to Weather Underground etc.

StirlingCrispin

ooh – just spotted this.

I run a Maplin USB Pro weather station coupled to a Raspberry Pi

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/silver-usb-wireless-touchscreen-weather-forecaster-n96fy.

Couple this to a Raspberry Pi and you too can be on WeatherUnderground: http://www.weather.dragontail.co.uk/index.php?page=station_setup

Total cost is less than £100, including a big pole!
    A solar powered fan to cool the temperature sensor is also a good idea.

(My weather station is at http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ISTIRLIN11 )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any Weather Station recommendations’ is closed to new replies.