Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any way to make garage less dusty for using turbo in?
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Hi,So currently my turbo is at back if the garage.

I do sweep it etc but think that after using the turbo I find I’m clearing my throat/chest and i’m beginning to wonder if it’s dust in there.

Two questions.

1) Anyway to (cheaply) check the air pollution?

2) Make it cleaner in there?

P.S I’m a bit reluctant to move turbo to be next to the open door because my garage is on a communal car park and I’d be too self conscious!!

Cheers for any suggestions…

simon_g

Floor paint helps a lot IME.

flashes
    Free Member

As does a bit of carpet, etc attached to the bottom of the up and over door…

wwaswas

some sealant will keep the dust down – they suggest you use it prior to painting in any event.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Concrete-Floor-Sealer-Clear-2-5L/p/214270

iamtheresurrection

I spent just £60 or so putting down the rubber inter-locking floor mats from CostCo/Halfords, I can’t remember which.

Quicker than painting, easier to replace a damaged tile than carpet, easier to clean than carpet and definitely controlled the dust instantly…

iamtheresurrection

Oh, plus I got some expanding foam to fill the gap between the bottom of the door and the floor, plus the gaps around the inside construction of the door itself. Had a year or two of going over the foam with kids, toddlers and motorbikes and its proved to be pretty much perfect.

peteimpreza

Seal and paint the floor .

spectraken
    Free Member

Definitely seal and paint!

marc
    Free Member

Cheap carpet is, er, cheaper than painting.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hose pipe and wash it out?

RicB

Vacuum the dust up, seal floor with 1:5 PVA: water applied with a fence painting brush. £10, couple of hours.

freeagent
    Free Member

yep, as others have suggested.
    Seal/paint the floor, cheap white emulsion on walls, cheap carpet/foam tiles on floor..

seadog101

Cheap linoleum? A few roll ends will cover a garage.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Great responses – cheers. Whilst I’d love to paint it (and nearly did when bought thd house, even bought the paint) …the garage is now too full to be able to paint. However, the idea of interlocking mats sounds good, or even the lino suggestion.

Cheers for the help…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hose pipe and wash it out?

This. I assume you can’t regularly dampen down the floor given the “too full” comment ? Dust ime will be coming from the floor itself “breaking down” which is why the sealant / paint makes so much difference but I assume you are well aware of this.

Finally empty the garage out on a nice day, wash floor down and get it painted. Stuff back in when dry. That sorts the problem rather than a bodge

Aristotle
    Free Member

I spent just £60 or so putting down the rubber inter-locking floor mats from CostCo/Halfords, I can’t remember which.

Quicker than painting, easier to replace a damaged tile than carpet, easier to clean than carpet and definitely controlled the dust instantly…

I did this a few years ago (Costco, and more like 30quid for a single garage at the time) and they have worked very well. I used cardboard boxes as underlay and added some carpet at the workshop end.

Painting the walls white makes a difference to lighting.

Inspired by Garage Journal, I then painted the lower 1/3 of the wall grey and added a red stripe above the grey, below the white -It’s the best room in the house.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I got a cheap industrial type vaccum and a roll of rubber matting. I Hoover when the mud and detritus off the bikes gets to the point I know it will cause me aggro and its stayed pretty clean for a garage since.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I used Mototiles is was quick and made a remarkable difference.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I’m going for the tile option – £30 to cover the floor (Halfords). Putting cardboard underneath is a good suggestion too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any way to make garage less dusty for using turbo in?’ is closed to new replies.