Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any way of knowing if a car’s insured without going though your own insurer?
  • geoffj

Some ned has just side swiped my car. Not a lot of damage, but I fear the driver is not insured, as his car isn’t taxed. He’s offered to pay for the repairs without going through the insurance companies. It would be useful to know his insurance status before I open negotiations with him. Anyone with access to this sort of info? Its a Red VW Polo reg TBZ 9456 if anyone can help.
    Ta
    Geoff
    stw ‘at’ mtbperthshire.co.uk

PePPeR
    coffeeking
    Free Member

As per pepper 🙂

PePPeR

well he isn’t on the database matey!

coffeeking
    Free Member

And the answer is nope, sorry, he’s not. Now report him for driving without tax and insurance.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Get the cash off him THEN shop him to the long arm of the law. Well you want to get your cash first dont you 🙂

geoffj

Mmmmm – cheers guys. Bit of a conundrum. I could call the Polis now and never see the cost of the repairs, and possibly lose my own no-claims discount, or I could give him 24 hours to come up with the cash for a quote for the work from my friendly local tin basher.

Hippy – you posted as I typed, my thoughts exactly!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I agree, only the last person I had who hit me was uninsured etc, I managed to get £25 quid out of him while he sat and ate beans on a cardboard box in his council flat.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t know the answer but I do wonder if insurers can see police records – and hence could work out if you’d reported the accident to them in the event of a future claim.

I guess you could report a “suspicion”

andytherocketeer

Isn’t that a Northern Ireland reg plate? Doesn’t NI have it’s own DVLA? In which case the car might not show up on GB insurance/tax database.
    Could be an NI plate used as a GB vanity plate though, I spose.

coffeeking
    Free Member

We used to have NI plates on our old rangey. I just checked, its still on the MID but down as a V8.when we had it it was a 2.7TD

uplink
    Free Member

If he is uninsured you could also try checking out other parts of the MID site
    http://www.mib.org.uk/Home/en/default.htm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any way of knowing if a car’s insured without going though your own insurer?’ is closed to new replies.