Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any way of getting photos off a Z3 compact? Phone whizz required!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So the glass has a small crack and subsequently the touch screen has stopped working meaning I can’t type in my pin code. Any way to retrieve photos without spanking a 100 quid down the market for a new one?

somouk
    Free Member

Sony may do some software allowing you to connect to the phone with a file manager and remove them.

Most require you to unlock the phone which may be the issue.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup the Sony companion requires you to type in the pin code on the phone. If only it let you type it in on the computer.

wwaswas

are photos on the internal memory or a separate card?

olly2097
    Free Member

Your photos may be on Google photos, have a look online they may be backed up. Failing that phone insurance, pay for a month then claim.

xora

OTG Cable + USB keyboard!

stumpy01

Hmmm. I was going to suggest just using Windows Explorer, if you plug in the phone without unlocking it doesn’t give you access to the file structure.
    Once you’ve unlocked it though, it will let you in. (I just tried it with my Xperia T.

As above – are the photo’s on the internal storage or the SD card?
    If SD card, then just unplug it, stick it into a card reader and get to them that way.
    If you haven’t changed the storage settings, I think default is internal memory so you might be buggered trying that route.

northshoreniall

Does the screen work if you press down on a corner/ near the crack? Mine is lifting on one corner meaning touch screen doesn’t always work correctly but if I push it down where lifting off I can at least access it long enough to use it/ attach cable and once hooked up/ charging it shouldnt re-lock.

Sorry – does that make any sense?

wrightyson
    Free Member

No card installed so on internal memory. I’d hope they aren’t stored on Google as I’m sure I’d have switched that setting off but I’ll check that later.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Failing that phone insurance, pay for a month then claim.

So you advise committing a fraud then 😯

OP, next time make sure they are backed up or you use the cloud / google

robware
    Free Member

I’ve recently done a screen replacement for my own Z3 compact. Most fragile screen ever. You can get aftermarket screens for about £30. It’s not too hard if you fancy your chances.

I used an OTG cable and USB mouse to use it in the mean time.

CraigW
    Free Member

I think you could boot the phone in recovery mode, then connect it to your PC, then use adb to copy files off.

spooky_b329

I can’t test it as I don’t have a wired mouse handy, but if you find the microUSB to USB lead I think you can operate the phone with the mouse.

Edit: Didn’t realise it was called an OTG cable 🙂

How did the screen replacement go…I’ve just cracked the corner of the back panel on my Z3 Compact, probably still waterproof but will it still be after I’ve tried to change it?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have you tried just plugging it in? Your PC may just see it as an external storage device and let you view the files.
    In my old Xperia T you just plug it in and it appears on windows explorer as a drive. (My MotoG also does this).
    Depends on whether you have the phone setup to apear as an external device or not.
    If not OTG cable plus usb keyboard. In fact if you have a wireless USB keyboard and mouse running off the same dongle, you should just be able to plug in the dongle and use the mouse and keyboard on the phone.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Re the insurance, you can’t make a claim and cancel the policy. You would have to honour the rest of the term once you’ve claimed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How did the screen replacement go…I’ve just cracked the corner of the back panel on my Z3 Compact, probably still waterproof but will it still be after I’ve tried to change it?

Had a screen replaced ona z and it was still waterproof – discovered by dropping it straight into a puddle one day
    Probably best to talk to whomever does it but it should be as they should just rebuild it

I suspect now will guarantee it is but most will say it is.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So I’ve bought the otg cable, now for the mouse. Anything particular. It’ll probably never get used again…

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve broken two back panels on my z3 compact 👿

Great phone but crap having glass for a back.

It’s easy to replace the back panel, costs about 8 quid for one on Amazon and you can do a pressure test after to check it’s still waterproof.

I wish someone would do a simple plastic replacement back panel though

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bump re the mouse?

CraigW
    Free Member

Borrow the mouse from your PC?
    Otherwise, anything will work, so long as it uses a USB connection.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Haven’t got a pc. I’ll just pick a cheap one up then, thanks for the response.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any way of getting photos off a Z3 compact? Phone whizz required!’ is closed to new replies.