Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any Wardrobe / furniture fitters out there ? Advice needed .
  • stevelolly
    Free Member

Had a large wardrobe ( 7 doors )fitted in our bedroom a few days ago and wondered if anyone in the trade could give me some advice before i contact the fitters .
    I have issues with door alignement , loose handles , handles on the wrong way round and some damage to one of the edges which are clear cut but it appears to be higher at one end causing the end door to sit higher and the whole thing leans forward .
    This looks to me to be because it is sat on the carpet gripper ( wooden type with the spikes ) under the carpet at one end and across the back . Am i wrong in thinking that it should have been removed to give a flat even surface for it to sit on ? its a new carpet with new underlay and its not like the carpet is going to come up or anything with a huge wardrobe sat on it !
    Any advice be appreciated , don’t want to ring them and sound like a prat but we paid alot of money for it an waited a while for the right piece .

BigJohn

I don’t think you are going to sound like a prat, you are going to sound like a customer who has paid a lot of money and who has been sent a monkey to do the installation.

You should never fit a wardrobe on carpet (IMO) but if the fitter decided to do that, he should have used his spirit level to make sure he was fitting it plumb. I guess half the other problems will stem from that, but nevertheless it sounds like a horrible job was done and you have every right to demand they put it all right, and replace any damaged parts.
    I have 8 years experience with Hammonds Bedrooms and other bedroom companies and now fitting them for myself as Smartrooms 101

br
    Free Member

Putting it on the carpet is a bit odd, should really have cut that away and used the floor – although that may not be level either…

What about the quote, did it mention how it was going to be installed?

tbh – Just give them a call, and ask for a site visit.

Did you sign off the work…

stevelolly
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies , much appreciated . To be honest never even crossed my mind that the carpet should have been cut as its an individual piece of furniture that could be moved although you wouldn’t as it fills one wall and would weigh a ton . It’s made up of one 6 door unit and a single door unit leaving a couple of cm’s gap at each end .
    We purchased it from a local co op furniture store who then pass the order on to the German manufacturer , who have UK fitters , so how it would be fitted was not discussed until it was delivered . Unfortunately I couldn’t get the day off so had to leave the wife to deal with it 🙁
    They do have to come back anyway as the top finisher was snapped in the van and the runner for the centre bi fold doors was missing !
    I’ll have to contact them but have to say I’m not looking forward to it .
    Thanks again 🙂

project
    Free Member

German stuff isnt as good as peeps think, overprices etc.

Just give them a call, be nice, make them tea, and biscuits, and they should be able to help you out, wind them up , and back to germany they will be.

br
    Free Member

Ok, you gave the impression that it was fitted furniture in your first post…

In the case of standalone furniture its really not their issue as to what its sat on, it’s up to you to prepare the ‘ground’.

If you’ve a problem, best you ask them nicely – but you may need to pay for their time.

stevelolly
    Free Member

Sorry if my first post was misleading but would it not have been common sense to point this out before building it ?
    It would have took them a matter of minutes to pull the carpet away and take the gripper out and I would have happily paid them to do it .
    To be honest I can’t see how they are going to replace the chipped end panel without taking the wardrobe out anyway .
    All good advice though , many thanks .

BigJohn

Stick to your guns – tell them you will kick up a fuss if every vertical isn’t dead vertical, every horizontal isn’t dead horizontal, every panel is unchipped and matches the others perfectly and all the doors open and close properly.

There is no real difference between free standing and fitted wardrobes. If there is just a few cm at either end I would always fit a side infil panel to make it wall to wall, floor yo ceiling, otherwise how are you ever going to be able to re-decorate?

molgrips
    Free Member

BigJohn – Cardiff too far for you? 🙂

BigJohn

£5 an hour travelling time and 40p/mile from Stafford and I’m anybody’s.

If the tide/winds are right I can go surfing/windsurfing at Southerndown afterwards too.

molgrips
    Free Member

£5/h, that’s not bad.. 40p a mile is tho 🙂 Also not a big job.

Tell you what, next time you come surfing bring your carpentering kit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any Wardrobe / furniture fitters out there ? Advice needed .’ is closed to new replies.