Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any VN Mistral Owners?
  • brassneck

I’m going to treat myself to a nicer road bike than my 8 year old Giant, and I’ve got my eye on either a VN Mistral or a Planet X. Speccing the VN seemed to suggest on their site that a 17.1lb bike could be had for around £1300, which seems incredible value but also somewhat unlikely with Aksium wheels (I have a rear Aksium, and whilst it’s reliable and looks good, it isn’t the lightest thing by a long way). I am leaning toward the VN purley on looks…
    Any owners think that sounds about right, or way off? Pics appreciated too 😉

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

2012 apex here and wouldn,t have a foggiest re: weight. Does it matter as it,ll be light enough and looks beau!
    VN has lifetime warranty. I,d opt for shimano gearingthey are shockingky shite. mainly for better shifters than the apex as rubbish shifters make a dull ride experience.

brassneck

It is sort of important, seems a shame to spend £1300 if it isn’t any lighter than my Ally bike.. but I take your point.

Unless I’m being dim there doesn’t appear to be an option to choose Shimano – it’s all SRAM?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Iirc 105 is shimano is it not..?
    Titanium is not a lighter alloy than aluminium alloy but they use less of it.
    For a vfm mid range or entry level roady. You have no option to complain bout weight the odd 1lb or less fps.
    Get one and all shall become clear. Maybe swapout the wheels for hope mono/ stans which I,d like.

Robespierre
    Free Member

My 2011 Mistral with new style 105 and Fulcrum 7’s weighed 20lbs on fatbirds scales with pedals. A Planet X carbon will be a couple of pounds lighter with sram gears. You could drop a couple of pounds pretty easily with an all carbon fork and a change of wheels/tyres. the mistral looks fantastic (prefer the 2011 decals to the 2012) and rides brilliantly. You won’t regret getting one.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Go for the SRAM rival groupset if you want to save a good chunk of weight over Shimano. It works better aswell!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Any VN Mistral Owners?’ is closed to new replies.