Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any VMWare experts in?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

A CentOS VM crashed badly, buggering up the entire filesystem so now it’s not even recognised. Don’t suppose there’s any way to do some kind of fsck on it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I mounted it, but it’s properly buggered.

chojin
    Free Member

Where’s the vdisk stored exactly? No snapshotting on your SAN?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s my laptop. I use VMs for setting up different environments for dev.

Managed to use vmware disk tools to mount it but couldn’t get anything out of it. I have a copy at home, just means I can’t do what I wanted to tonight.

allthegear
    Free Member

Environments for Dev? You really need to get Vagrantup.com

I couldn’t imagine actually building virtual environments by hand these days.

Rachel

allthegear
    Free Member

If the vm disk was damaged, I’d just have to type vagrant destroy and then vagrant up to be sorted again.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. I only need ONE environment for each product, so setting all that up would be far more difficult than simply installing each setup by hand. It’s only for my personal use, no-one else uses it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Vagrant = docker?

EDIT not quite.

allthegear
    Free Member

Well, the fact it now needs rebuilding kind of demonstrates that’s not exactly true… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It’ll still be quicker!

Product installation is complicated enough without having to script it through some third party palaver. Too heavyweight for my purposes.

I have a backup in this case, as it happend, but as policy I don’t. I’d have to rebuild which means starting from a template I have and running the installers I have, for this particular environment it’s simple. But for others it’s totally different.

allthegear
    Free Member

No, vagrant provides “control” over VMs. Allows you to define a fm in files, including how it should be configured etc. Then all you have to do is start it and magic happens. Out pops a perfect vm each time.

Means you can share a vm with someone simply by sending the definition which will then auto-build on their machine.

Allows the vm host sw to be either VMware or Virtualbox.

molgrips
    Free Member

Means you can share a vm with someone simply by sending the definition which will then auto-build on their machine.

Still doesn’t seem beneficial for me, given how infrequently I have to duplicate or share anything.

allthegear
    Free Member

Okay, if nothing else, it is always good practice to remove manual procedures from any development process; they are too easily prone to error. Often, the effort required to script or otherwise define the build means that the build is better thought out and more “robust”.

I’ll be surprised if each Dev environment you create is really that unique.

Rachel

molgrips
    Free Member

You are thinking in terms of running a dev environment for a team, I think, which is not what I’m doing.

I’ll be surprised if each Dev environment you create is really that unique.

They all have different product stacks on, that’s why I have them!

allthegear
    Free Member

Okay, this is starting to feel a little bit like a broken Volkswagen…

oldnpastit

Can you boot a linux rescue CD in your VM, and then just run fsck manually from your rescue shell?

Or alternatively, there’s a command for turning a VM disk into a real physical disk you can mount in the host. I can’t remember what it’s called though, I’ll have a quick look.

EDIT: kpartx might help.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any VMWare experts in?’ is closed to new replies.