Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Any views on 3yr old VW Passat?
  • 40mpg

Need to buy a car as new job has no company motor. Estate for lugging bikes/kids etc, ideally spend less than £10k.

The Passat looks good for this, has anyone got any experience of suitability / reliability?

hora
    Free Member

See tags

kevonakona
    Free Member

Octavia would be the answer but because they are seen as the cheaper alternative demand has risen and they are now much of a muchness, according to the skoda garage i was talking to.

geoffj

Octavia is also smaller. I have an 05 Passat Estate and its been great. The only disappointment is the gutless 2l petrol engine, but that’s my fault for choosing it.
    Go for the Diesel and you wont go far wrong.

cp

mondeo estates are cheaper, and probably just as reliable.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And definitely better cars to drive…

hora
    Free Member

finding a diesel mondeo estate though is like hens-teeth still?

geoffj

finding a diesel mondeo estate though is like hens-teeth still?

They were when I was looking as that is really what I wanted. Since then, there have been reports of problems with some of the diesel engines. It is a nicer car to drive, but I think the Passat is a more reliable unit.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Vectra Estate – horrible to drive but cavenous.

spence
    Free Member

Had both, 2 Passat TDi’s Estates and currently have a Mondeo Estate (hatch previously)
    The Passat is a better built car, feels more solid with a stronger feeling engine (bhp for bhp) and gives better MPG but servicing was more expensive. Brakes are move sensitive but more powerful overall. For the Mondeo it handles better, more fluid. The seats offer more support – for me with a bad back anyway – and there’s more interior space. The MT75XX gearbox feels better but be careful of the DMF/clutch, can go between 40-70k miles.
    Having covered about 150K miles in each type over the last few years, I’d be happy with either. Just depends on deal you can get.

hora
    Free Member

MT75XX gearbox feels better but be careful of the DMF/clutch,

How do you tell the difference? I mean is there a clear model year or spec that has each? Is it clearly defined (i,e, so you can avoid)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

10k will get you a nice volvo v70. Best car ive driven. When mine dies it will be replaced with the same.

spence
    Free Member

Sorry that should be MTX-75. I believe all MK3’s have the this (4 cylinder anyway) The dual mass flywheel is used to counter act the torque pulse of 4 pot 4 stroke’s especially diesels. I think all the diesels have them not sure about petrols. Some earlier cars may have a solid flywheel.

Ask on here Mondeo Forum

aP
    Free Member

I thought that Ford had stopped using DMF due to their unreliability (writes a Ford DMF owner 😐 )

sv

Avoid the Mondo! TDCI rubbish, clutch £1000 to replace.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

‘Avoid the Mondo! TDCI rubbish’ – really? I’ve had numerous recommendations for the 130bhp one and am actively looking for one at the mo’. Currently running a 1999 1.8 petrol Mondeo estate that has had NO major probs since I got it when it was 2yrs old. (anyone want to buy a cheapish, reliable estate?)

hora
    Free Member

Is the clutch £1,000 to replace? 😮

My Subaru cost £220+VAT!!! and Subaru’s are supposed to be ‘extortionate’ for parts?

al-london
    Free Member

Saab 93 Sportswagon 1.9 Auto Cracking car.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d concluded that Ford must have upped their game recently due to all the posts on here of people saying how good they are, then I spoke to someone who’s work uses a fleet of different models as staff cars(mondeos and focus’ (focii?) all <3 years old) who said they are regularly in for repair of faults and failures and it’s a running joke in their company.

tankslapper
    Free Member

mondeo estates are cheaper, and probably just as reliable.

Ask Zokes how good they are………. 🙄

Northwind

I’ll apply the law of my dad- if my dad couldn’t kill his passat in 8 years, then it must have been pretty reliable. Never properly serviced, badly driven, run low on oil and water… He did manage to cripple it a bit by filling it with rain and then leaving it to go mouldy, that killed a lot of the electrics but it still drove. Poor thing.

kevonakona
    Free Member

AS above Passat is good and the octavia is based on the golf estate so smaller.

The engine to go for is the 2.0l tdi, plenty of pulling power.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Just pick what you fancy,they’re just load carriers.Have you considered the Honda Accord?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Had a Passat Tdi 110 for 3 years and 80k – loved it. Went to private car after that. Wanted the 130hp Passat estate, but no VW garage in my region would budge much on price as it was a new model, so I got an Audi A6 130hp Tdi instead (got a great deal on their new model). The A6 has been awesome too. I get 55mpg average, 65mpg on motorway runs. Same engine as a Passat. Variable servicing means that I go 20 months between services which are not that expensive anyway. Factoring in the long service intervals, this works out very cheap indeed.

I had a Mondeo diesel estate on hire (the previous model to the current one). It was a dog! The engine was not gutsy and the handling was unpredictable. By all accounts, the new model is a vastly better car, but i’d be sceptical about the powerplant.

IMHO the VAG 1.9Tdi is the finest midsized power plant around. Fitted to so many cars, it is a complete winner.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m very happy with the 57 reg passat estate I’ve had since December – got it for £9.5k with 22k on the clock. Just come back from visiting family down south, 600 mile round trip, and I wa saying to the wife how I’d happily tour across Europe in it.

Free Member

And, if you do a bit of car DIY, the VAG diagnostics kit is very easily available on ebay, meaning servicing costs should be reduced (if a sensor is iffy, you will know, resulting in a cheaper repair outside the main stealer) then back to the stealers/indi garage for servicing – everyone’s a winner 😉

(especially when a garage want about £30 to diagnose a car)

Christowkid
    Free Member

Have a Tdi pd 130 engined Passat estate – brilliant!
    Good mpg even around Devon lanes, comfortable when long trips with passengers in the back, I find it nippy too. Recommended
    Q

al-london
    Free Member

Jontawn, is diagnostics really that simple? If it came up with a fault code for bank 1 sensor 2 Lamda sensor voltage low what do you change?

Most garages only charge for diagnostics due to the expense of the computers needed to diagnose modern day cars. I should know I currently have over 120k’s worth in my workshop.

Flaperon

I got run over by a Volvo, suggest you stay away from them.

Joxster
    Free Member

Saab 9-5 Estate, huge boot space, comfiest seats ever and the can’t have shift. I’ve got mine heading towards the 200k mile mark.

iainc

if it comes down for ford or VW I would always prefer the VW. (I have a golf and wife has a cmax and there is just no comparison…)

iainc

if it comes down for ford or VW I would always prefer the VW. (I have a golf and wife has a cmax and there is just no comparison…)

mrchrispy

passat 130tdi sport here, great car.
    mate has a A6 2.5tdi and its very nice but it drink a bit more juice than mine.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My 130 bhp tdci mondeo gas nearly 125,000 miles on it (54 plate) original DMF & clutch, Never missed a beat

great car very much under rated, brill mpg’s too

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Any views on 3yr old VW Passat?’ is closed to new replies.