Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Any vets on? Dog/fibre/anal gland content
  • IHN

Basically, little Nelson has issues with his bum gland that are alleviated by adding extra fibre to his food. I’ve been using wheat bran, but I think he has an intolerance to wheat (which I understand is fairly common in dogs), it seems to make him moult really badly and gives him flaky skin. I stopped giving him the bran and his fur/skin cleared up, but the bum-gland problems came back.

So, what I’m after is a non-wheat based way of bulking up the fibre content. I had a suggestion of roughly chopped carrot, but he won’t eat it.

wwaswas

you can get rice bran…

IHN

Can I, from where? Will I have to go to a funny-smelling health food shop?

nickc

Get the vet to show you how to empty the glands? OK, it’s a bit “Yucky” but it’s not hard.

fbk
    Free Member

You can use fibogel – human gel or powder that bulks up the faeces.

Otherwise raw/lightly boiled Carrot/brocolli etc is good.

wwaswas

“Will I have to go to a funny-smelling health food shop?”

no, some of them do mail order.

Nick

OK, it’s a bit “Yucky” but it’s not hard.

understatement of the year

Lucas
    Free Member

After months of their dog smelling a bit like rotten fish my brother had to take it to the vets to have its anal glands milked!!!

Apparently it’s not too hard to do. Lube up your finger, ram it in there, squeeze at the 10 and 4 o’clock positions, marvel at the vast quantities of green smelly stuff that comes out and then retch.

Just to think that before a phone converstion on Monday I never even knew you could milk a dogs arse!!

woody2000
    fbk
    Free Member

Lucas – 10 and 2 o’clock. Not wanting to be picky or ‘owt 😉

And green stuff isn’t good – that suggests some infection???

Never going to be a fun job though

IHN

Those suggesting the manual option have never met Nelson. As a rescue/ex-street dog he will turn from incredibly cute to snarling ball of fang in approximately 6 nanoseconds.

If you want to come round and have a go however, feel free.

fbk
    Free Member

😆 To be fair. If someone tried to squeeze my glands, I think I’d turn into something pretty similar .

It’s one thing I tend to forgive animals for getting stroppy about 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

nickc – Member

Get the vet to show you how to empty the glands? OK, it’s a bit “Yucky” but it’s not hard.

nick – can i suggest that if you wish to continue cycling with me, you don’t get another dog

Stoner
    Free Member

I am never, ever, shaking your hand again nick. And as for sharing a room in a hotel?…nuh-uh!

Lucas
    Free Member

My phone conversation has not made me anal glad expert I though I was!!

bruk

Your vet can provide Peridale (in granules or capsules)which will do the job but is a bit pricy. Otherwise look for other sources of fibre eg rice bran/vegetables.

Learning how to empty anal glands without covering yourself in horrible smelly stuff is an art. One most people would rather not learn.

nickc

You guys….. 😀

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Do cats have butt-glands like this, coz one of mine stinks!?! 😆

Ambrose

Hoi sin sauce?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Lube up your finger, ram it in there, squeeze at the 10 and 4 o’clock positions, marvel at the vast quantities of green smelly stuff that comes out and then retch.

they say

“you learn something new every day”

well what do I have to do to forget that? I don’t think I’ll be able to face chow mien for at least a week now!

funkynick

We used porridge oats in our dogs food for a while before changing his food to another brand, and since then we’ve not had to add it, and have had no problems. We just give him a dried food btw.

bruneep

best thread ever.

why did she not wear gloves tho 😯

Bushwacked
    Free Member

If you are going to spend the day playing with your dogs anal glands – can you postpone it until tomorrow so the smell doesn’t ruin our drink tonight!!! 😕

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Any vets on? Dog/fibre/anal gland content’ is closed to new replies.