Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • any vets around? dog paw pad cut..
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

not cut as in knife slice but more like a whole 5pence piece bit of pad has been ripped/cut off, nothing hanging off, have cleansed wound with chlorhexidine and applied betadine solution and a dressing….wound too large for stitching and clean wound base so no signs of infection….yet..
    hes not weight bearing so keeping him to his bed to rest it,

any advice other than regular re dressings?

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Get to the vet! Twice that’s happened to our lab and dot have fancied dealing with it ourselves.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Hi

I’m a vet. Taking off the skin like that, an erosion, isn’t stitchable as you say. If there is no flap either still and you’ve cleaned it with a dilute chlorhexidine wash, your doing everything right. It will take 2-3 weeks for the dermis to regenerate that thick protective epidermal layer at least, so enforced rest is required, out to toilet on a lead only and a quick plastic bag over the foot with a bit of tape to keep it clean while he’s outside. If you bandage it, use a non adherent dressing under some cotton wool and a cover of vetrap or equivalent, but it might stick, so i’d leave it open after a few days. If he came into the practice, i’d also have him on antibiotics for 10 days and an antibiotic eye cream, dropped on twice a day to help keep it sterile. If in pain, carprofen daily for a few days. Make sure he doesnt lick it excessively else use a baby sock to cover it and still let it breath, or a plastic lampshade hat. There is a cream called dermisol which can help open wounds heal a bit quicker, and these new hydrocolloid dressings can be helpfull, but frankly his dermis will have to make a new thick covering and that will take at least a few weeks. Keep dabbing it with the dilute chlorhexidine wash 3-4 times a day and you should be alright. The hole will start to shrink after a week and a pale edge will form of new skin. The new skin will be lighter in colour initially then go darker and pigmented later. If he keeps doing it, you can buy vibram sole booties, but they can be hard to keep on.

Ed

carlphillips
    Free Member

thanks ed, thats super helpful, I’m medical myself so happy with the woundcare side on humans but not had to do the dog before! If any hint of infection he’ll be off to the vets anyway..
    at 11yrs old the rest thing isnt too hard but he is in pain whilst trying to stand on it so will get some pain relief for him tomorrow.
    thanks for the reply its much appreciated

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘any vets around? dog paw pad cut..’ is closed to new replies.