Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any tree surgeons out there?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

We have a (common) walnut tree in the garden. We planted it 20 years or so ago and somewhat stupidly, didn’t stop to think how large it would get.

It is well away from the house and is as happy as Larry, providing us with many kilos of nuts every year.

However, we think it has probably got large enough now and are thinking about ‘doing something’ to it. I’d hate to chop it down so the alternative is some sort of (professional) ‘hair cut’ or a fairly aggressive pruning.

Which, in general is the best option? I assume whichever we select, it will not impact on the growth potential i.e. it will simply recover and forge ahead with a normal growth trajectory.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Not a Walnut, but we had our Chestnut tree turned into a totem pole by a tree surgeon. We wanted to take it out, but the upstairs neighbour didn’t want to. Two years later, it is as big as it was before, with more dense growth.

The surgeon did warn us of this, but said if nothing else, it makes future trimming easier as the new branches aren’t as thick.

I hate it and want it gone.

slowjo
    Free Member

Two years later, it is as big as it was before, with more dense growth.

Blimey!

At least I can eat the nuts…..all you can do is play conkers! Or is it a Sweet Chestnut?

slowjo
    Free Member

Will this bump?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just get a cheap folding saw, climb up the tree and give it a trim

slowjo
    Free Member

Big tree…cheap folding saw…..nah! :o)

CaptainSlow

Sounds like a 50% pollard may be in order. It’ll look a bit buggered for a couple of years but will bounce back.

You can pollard less.. Tree dude will advise. Should be around £400 I’d have thought depending on location and access.

Ianats

joat

It’s getting a bit late in the season to trim walnuts, unless we have a summery September. They will sprout out if you cut them right back, but won’t look good in the same way as a lime tree does for example. Find a professional who knows how to reduce by target pruning and it should still look like a walnut tree, albeit a smaller one.

globalti
    Free Member

Wait until Gardeners’ Question Time comes to your area, then get tickets and go on the show with your question.

welshfarmer

Before pruning it, remember what they say round here…

your wife, your dog and your walnut tree

the more you beat ’em, the better they be

🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any tree surgeons out there?’ is closed to new replies.