Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any Tree experts in today? the planty type not the cutty down type
  • RustyMac

A plumb tree we won months ago has just been delivered and it is a little bigger than we expected it would be. Currently it is still packaged up and is the height of my hallway. All the previous fruit trees we have bought have been about a meter tall when brought home from the shop, this is over 3 meters.

Any one have any tips or advice on care for the tree until we can plant it tomorrow? I can’t easily leave it outside till then as it is chucking it down and blowing a gale.

Cheers

Rusty.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes whatever you do dont put the tree outside they hate that 😉

Its probably had all the trauma its going to get do what you want for the next 24 hours

RustyMac

I’m more thinking the thing will get blown away I’ve nothing to secure it with. Not that the weather will make it shrivel up or something. 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flowerpower
    Free Member

I’m assuming that it will have arrived bare root, with a bag covering the roots – rather than in a pot?

If so it will be fine to keep it in the house overnight, until tomorrow. However try and keep it as cool as possible, and if practical open up the bag around the roots, check that it is all still damp, and add more water if needed.

It will be good to get it planted ASAP. Use a firm stake or cross of stakes as it will need keeping as stable as possible, and ensure that your hole is far bigger than needed and lined with either top soil or compost to give the roots a chance.

Good luck!

EDIT – If its in a pot, then cool place and water still apply.

RustyMac

Arrived bare root so will have a look and see how dry it is.

Have compost and bone meal for when we plant it but will need to buy a much bigger stake and trunk protector than we have so it will be a trip to the shops tomorrow.

joat

It’s not bad weather to be planting trees, wet and mildish. Just remember to keep it watered through the spring and summer. And keep down any grass or weeds around it by using mulch. When you’ve had enough of it, you can ask on here again on how best to be rid of it 😆

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Get it outside tonight and just put a chair or something over it to stop it blowing away. It’ll survive either way though, indoors tonight or outdoors so don’t worry.

You’ll probably get a couple of plums in september 2013, and a load in sept 2014.

RustyMac

Just opened it up – bubble wrap then a bag then another bag then a o-crap moment of why are my socks wet, guess the last one must have had a hole in it.

Put a water tight bag over the bottom and have put it in the communal unheated stairwell so it should be fine over night.

When you’ve had enough of it, you can ask on here again on how best to be rid of it

Not a plumb tree not me, in a few years this thing will save me a fortune for fruit to take for lunch. I could happily eat 3-4 a day nom nom nom nom nom.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If it’s wrapped by a pro, it shouldn’t take any harm from another day or two. But will it have a pollen partner nearby?

Dig the hole, knock the stake in, fit the roots around the stake, keeping the graft 4-6 ins clear of the soil level. Stone fruit appreciate a handfull or two of oystershell grit amongst the backfill, or on the surface sometime: slow resease calcium you know.

(Whispers) and its ‘plum’.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Just thinking a plumb tree might be mega useful when the pipes freeze or the drain gets blocked hah!

joat

Good spot on the plumb/plum thing chaps. Accordion to research, most people don’t notice musical instruments hidden in sentences.

RustyMac

Oh arse it’s been a long day with a hangover from yesterdays department lunch piss up. Brain still isn’t working quite right it would seem.

Pollen partner? We have a apple and pear tree in the garden just now will they do?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you live in town, you’ll be fine, no need for a pollen partner, as there’ll be loads nearby. Biggest bother I had with plum trees in the old house, was that they are a bloody magnet for wasps. plant it well away from the house.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

IME they do tend to crop heavily, and the fruit needs using up in a week. So you either hand lots away to friends or learn to make jam and chutney.

What variety is it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Has it floated away yet russ ? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any Tree experts in today? the planty type not the cutty down type’ is closed to new replies.