Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any trainee / newly qualified Nurses on here…
  • takisawa2

And would willing to answer a few questions by email…

My good lady starts a nursing degree in a week or so & is having panic stations about this, that & the other.

I think it would put her mind at rest to be able to ask a few questions of someone who’s done/doing it, about how it all plays out…(burseries, course fees, placements etc).

Thanks.
    Email in Profile. 😕

wolly
    Free Member

Mrs Wolly qualified a few months ago I’ll see what she says

Dibbs
    Free Member

My daughter finished her degree (Plymouth) last year, but she’s away on holiday at the moment.
    As for fees, the bills just came in and we paid them,I didn’t dare work out how much it cost us but I’m sure it was less than the other daughter who did teaching.
    One way we could have saved money was on accommodation, we paid for the full years accommodation in Plymouth and it turned out that a lot of the time she was away on placements eg she had a placement in Bridgwater and lived at home for 12 weeks and another time she had a placement in Torbay and we had to pay for accommodation there as well as for the place she wasn’t using in Plymouth.

takisawa2

Thanks chaps.
    Wolly…It would just be a few questions mostly around how the degree is funded, bursary application etc.

Dibbs…much as I joked about her having to find Student halls that take children too, She’ll be fully funded by yours truly & commuting in to Uni. 🙂

wolly
    Free Member

Ygm

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Do you still get a bursary if you do the degree?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Does she know what she’s letting herself in for? I mean has she really looked into what it’s like?
    *that’s from Mrs Futtock who’s a qualified staff nurse with thirty one years in, & just can’t wait to get out of it*

crikey
    Free Member

Give over, it’s not that bad at all! 25 years in for me…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Give over, it’s not that bad at all! 25 years in for me…

Where are you Crikey & what’s your job?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

What branch of nursing is she doing? I’m in mental health.

crikey
    Free Member

Im in the North West, in critical care.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mrs Futtock is in kids HDU for Leeds NHS (LGI) which is huge. I suppose it does depend on where you are. We were at Harrogate District a while ago & she said it looked a doddle compared to LGI.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

My sis in law just got her first job after qualifying recently. Maybe she can help?
    Maybe not, she qualified in Scotland, so maybe it’s different up here.

takisawa2

wolly…thanks, I’ve passed on the email. very kind of the good mrs wolly.

esselgruntfuttock…She’s worked in Credit Control for years so complete career change, but she’s very much up for it. (Handily, she has just been made redundant). Nursing was the fall back after not getting on a Midwifery degree after applying two years running.

crikey
    Free Member

Midwives are all loonies!

It’s a well known fact.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Really not that many midwifery jobs either… A friend of mine has just done her madwife course after working at heartlands ED for a few years. Oh, and I have to say ED now as a&e doesn’t sound right to me.

I’m in a 4 bed mental health hdu with one other nurse and a seclusion room. We used to have three nurses on but they decided 2 was enough. Which is fine until one person goes to ward rounds, reviews, mhrb, tribunals, family meetings or… God forbid… A break.

I love acute mental health.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Qualified September 2011. What does she need to know. Worked for NHS bank on General medicine, and in a Nursing Home and now Orthopaedics since December last year.

Sandwich

Sandwich Junior is doing a degree in Bristol with learning disability as his speciality.

Bursaries are quite good but payment of it can be a bit tardy. As can reimbursement of the expenses for any placements. The delay can be either the university not passing through in a timely manner or the NHS dragging it’s heels, or the perfect storm of both being behind with the paperwork.

The lack of a huge student debt is a plus for him as he is very averse to owing money. He’s really enjoying the course too and I’m quietly proud of his achievements.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Any trainee / newly qualified Nurses on here…’ is closed to new replies.