Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any tips for removing a square taper crank arm
  • Lakes_Puma

Trying to do some work on a neighbours bike and when I came to remove the crank after removing the retaining bolt I found that the inner thread on the crank arm had been totally stripped by someone.

Any tips on removing the crank arm now that I can’t use a crank tool (I have tried it just pulls straight out)?

brant
    Free Member

Remove bolt.
    Ride around in circles for a bit.

Speed process up by pouring boiling water over crank arm.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Had to use an angle grinder on the wifes old bike crank that was ‘welded tight’ over years of not being serviced and stripped thread.

bencooper
    Free Member

There is a special VAR tool that cuts a larger puller thread and uses a larger puller. I’ve got one in Glasgow, other good shops also exist 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

nice to see you back Ben.

bencooper
    Free Member

Thank you 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mini ball joint splitter

Or maybe

bencooper
    Free Member

Trouble with ball joint splitters is that you need to be careful you don’t damage the bottom bracket shell.

There’s another VAR tool which clamps to the crank arm itself, and then pulls. I’ve got one of them too – can you tell I’ve got a bike tool fetish?

Sam

Which arm? Can you get teh other one off? If it’s the left arm stuck, depending on the type of bb, you can remove the right bb cup and back it off against the cup. Go carefully though, if it’s seized on to the spindle you could strip the threads in the frame, then you have a much bigger problem.

Speshpaul

Three arm clutch puller, if “wot Brant said” doesn’t work.
    You could also try a few sharp taps with a hammer, knocking it back ON not off.
    This might break the bond.
    If all else fails slot it with a hack saw and spread it with a chisel

samuri
    Free Member

hacksaw method doesn’t take too long.

Swearing and just wacking it with a big hammer is always a good fall back too. Impresses girls too.

dazz
    Free Member

+1 for the ball joint splitter

mrgoll
    Free Member

+1 for the big hammer

Lakes_Puma

Thanks for the tips everyone, the winning combination was Plus Gas, hot air gun and a crowbar. 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any tips for removing a square taper crank arm’ is closed to new replies.